Passport for Shetland

bradgate5

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it is true. I encountered it myself very recently. It's more a case of photo ID required I think, but in my case it was certainly said to be " No passport no travel" despite leaving the isles very soon before.

Made me feel physically nauseous with contempt that I require a passport to get back onto the island in the UK that I have left only days before. United Kingdom my foot. :x

We may as well be independent. :wink:

Shetland is not alone in this.

If you fly with certain airlines within the UK, for example, London to Newcastle, some airlines want photographic ID but I think British Airways want a passport. I had one of those Citizen cards before I got a passport and that was accepted by Easyjet.

Much of this came in after 11th September as part of the so called anti-terrorism legislation/protection from terrorists, if my memory serves me correctly.

That said, surely it flies against the principles of free movement of travellers of members of European country members within Europe?

We've finally managed to find a property we can afford, had the offer accepted and hope to be moving to Shetland in June - I've reminded hubby and our van driver that we need our passports to hand for the boat!

Crumbs, hope they don't want my two beloved mutts to have pet passports - I ain't rich!

Im heading down on the boat in june to collect a horse & returning shortly afterwards, while booking I was told id need a passport to board at either end, the guy taking the booking was somewhat gobsmacked when i informed him that having never been outside of scotland, i had no passport and had no need of one & neither did I intend getting one.

My islander Id is going to be updated at the northlink terminal with a passport photo instead.

If getting any thing delivered these days is any thing to go by. The rest of the country (except for the post office) thinks were out side the UK already and charge £15 to £40 more, just to get goods at the Aberdeen to Shetland end of the journey . And what about all the people who aren’t interested about going anywhere other than say London or Glasgow . Not everyone has a Driving Licence ect.

For some on the minumin wage just getting into work will be a problem. And use a good part of there weeks earnings to cover the cost of bus fairs or train travel and ferry fairs ect .

Yet the cow who runs the home office can move freely between her two houses at our expense because it was with in the rules. Many pensioners may not have enough income to meet their needs as they get older and need more care. Having to go to the Aberdeen Hospital will they have to stop and show a passport? and what next will they have to have a body search by the Customs. before getting of the boat this government has now made the UK a laughing stock all around the world.

We may as well be independent. :wink:

I’m starting to come to the same conclusion

Im heading down on the boat in june to collect a horse & returning shortly afterwards, while booking I was told id need a passport to board at either end, the guy taking the booking was somewhat gobsmacked when i informed him that having never been outside of scotland, i had no passport and had no need of one & neither did I intend getting one.

My islander Id is going to be updated at the northlink terminal with a passport photo instead.

This is very worrying as being told they needed a passport could very well make potential visitors from mainland UK decide to give Shetland a miss. Currently passengers need to have one of the following and I expect there will be action in Parliament against any change to require passports (at least until biometric passports for all are required instead of the ID card that may well not now happen).

Examples of acceptable ID are listed below:

* Check in at Lerwick Ferry TerminalNorthLink ID card – with verified photo on reverse

(for residents of Orkney and Shetland only)*

* Photo driving licence

* Young Person's Concession Card

* National travel Concession Card

* Photo Bank Card

* Photo work ID from recognised companies

* Valid student ID cards

* Passport

Is this not some none voted on rule that came into force in the last two days or so.

I have a driving licence and bus pass so why is this not good enough. if we need a passport to go about our lawful business then they had better start paying up 8 x whatever the cost is.

paying for something i have no chance of using until the kids leave home.

In fact how do we get off the island to get the passport. What a clever way of stopping Shetland depopulating.

This http://www.scotlibdems.org.uk/news/2009/04/passport-isles-or-bass-rock-brown gives a bit of detail and I can assure you all that there is considerable opposition to this from other islands including the Isle of Wight. I think at some stage the government will be forced to allow a debate on this in Parliament and I am sure the plan will be dropped for the moment.