Cladding a house

Fjool

For insulation and aesthetic reasons, I've been contemplating cladding the exterior of my house. Has anyone done something like this recently? Not as part of a new build, but as a way of improving the u-value of an older house.

The alternative is to insulate every room on the inside which has its drawbacks too.

I believe the council has done this with some of their lerwick houses.

Give Hunter and Morrisons a shout, I think they did a lot of that work ;)

there is also the edge finishing to consider, the treatment of reveals, extending window sills, door openings, eaves details etc. etc the list goes on. Additionally scaffolding will have to be hired and remain in place for some time whilst all the substrate and finishing work is completed. The LA has decided therefore to go for internal insulation with an insulated gypsum board. Yes this reduces the internal space somewhat although if a high performance insulation is used this can be minimised. Yes there will be some internal disruption and mess but the savings in costs and time are substantial. Just a thought

link

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements/Home-insulation-glazing/Solid-wall-insulation

^ Thanks for the info, MF. Just exploring options at the moment. I think my house is as complicated inside as it is on the outside, but at least I could do it room by room if we did that.

The cosmetic element to cladding is also a factor, since I'll need to do some painting soon either way. All the rainwater goods could do with replacing too... (>_

Think I'll just go back to my book. :P

I've looked a lot more into this and figure that it's really not the solution for my house. Was exploring out of curiosity, but I'm going to do the inside instead. Seems much more practical.

Thanks for the info and advice.

the first thing you should do is add another layer of insulation into the loft this is probably the simplest thing you can do but the improvement in heating costs will be noticable the next thing you should do is eliminate uncontrolled draughts as much as possible because draughts = cold house, maybe consider putting draught excluders on internal doors, how are you thinking of doing the inside?? are you just going to strap onto the existing walls and insulate the plasterboard over it or are you going to strip it out and re do it?? another thing that a lot of people dont think about is draughts coming up throught the floor, what type of floor is in the house because if its old floorboards they are a pain to stop draughts :lol:

....and if its an ex SIC/SSHA etc pre 1980 build, but some possibly newer as well, house, keep your money in your pocket and save yourself the bother, as they're so poorly designed and built that no amount of later add insulation/draught proofing makes any real odds. At best you'll end up with a place that is no warmer in winter, but is an unlivable sweat box in summer.

This place has exterior insulation cladding, recent new windows, loft insulation, the works, yet the the temp rises/falls by 10 degrees C depending on whether the wind is blowing directly on to the three sides with exterior walls, or against the end shielded by next door. Yet in summer when there's sunshine and little wind, its like hades, even with all windows open.