UFOs

peeriebryan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good hunting peeriebryan!

A story i'd lke to hear more about was published in a book about Scottish paranormal activity in which the singular tale from Shetland relates a tale from the Sand Lodge area of sandwick in which a named individual saw a globe-like object hovering near to the ground and possibly entering a house. It sounds more like ball lightning than anything else, I wish i had the book to hand for details. Being that the guy was named, and the story very specific, it surprised me that i had never heard the tale outwith this fairly strongly biased book. It also stunned me that this was the authors only reference to Shetland with it's vast folk history of paranormal activity.

Anybody heard of the Sandwick UFO?

I don't remember the Sandwick UFO but I do remember a few years ago a report on SIBC about a UFO sighting in West Burrafirth.

I like the idea of aliens and some of the reports from the guys stationed at RAF Saxa Vord do sound convincing. But I always think it's strange how aliens end up making contact with assorted crackpots, weirdos and trailer-trash. Why don't they abduct somebody more reliable like Steven Hawking or Nelson Mandela? I supppose that would blow their cover.

I once came across a picture of a UFO spotted above the cliffs at Eshaness. It was just a black spot in the sky and could have been anything - a distant bird maybe, or even just a photographic glitch. It could have been aliens I suppose but I doubt it. It had been taken by a Norwegian tourist. I think he was trying to make some cash out of it. I'm going to see if I can find it.

Guest Anonymous

I know the people who saw the UFO at West Burrafirth and have a photograph of it. Quite spooky, and definately not a bird or anything like that. Apparently the thing hovered for about half a minute before shooting upwards and disapearing. The guy was driving through West Burrafirth at the time with his elderly parents onboard. They were all pretty shaken up by it.

p.s. Think the aliens have been messing about with the site as i can no longer get logged in.

Sammy

Think the aliens have been messing about with the site as i can no longer get logged in.

Sammy

Hi Sammy, I don't have a record of your login details in our database. If you email me your login name (which I presume is Sammy) and preferred password I'll try to sort it out for you

email - bryan @ shetlink.com

or use the Feedback Form

Once you get logged in Sammy are you going to unleash your sizeable portfolio of the paranormal on this website? You are the Fox Mulder of Shetland after all.

I think I may have seen the picture you're talking about. Are you going to post it?

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you get abducted and gang-probed.

I've heard about that. I've also heard about another couple of strange sightings in Sandwick. Also, years ago me and some friends caught something on a video camera(in Sandwick) that we really couldn't explain ( fast moving lights in the sky that we didn't notice while we were filming) but it probably did have some kind of rational explanation.

I'd be curious to know more details of the "large, white object travelling low and very fast" on that first link, as it sounds very suspiciously like a sight which was very common in certain parts the south mainland, during certain athmospheric/cloud cover conditions, and had, or so people were led to believe, a very earthly and mundane explanation.

In the right places and conditions you could regularly see a large white "object" pretty much as described, it was four sided, the leading edge being the shortest of the four, but centred to the following edge, making the sides both, equally, but opposingly sloping. It would travel at speed from South to North, roughly following the "spine" of Shetland, it was usually at a speed which, if you caught sight of it as it "appeared" in the south, you could follow it's progress at a comfortable head turning speed, although on some occasions it may have been a bit slower or faster than that. It varied from "vanishing" somewhere overhead, to disappearing intact over the northern horion, and on a few of the occasions that it did disappear over the northern horizon, if you waiting a few moments it would reappear again in the same spot it disappeared, travelling an exact reverse course. If you paid close attention to it, it appeared to be travelling just beneath, or just in the lower edges of the cloud cover, which was almost always quite low when it was seen.

If you were out an about after dark almost any time of year, possibly with the exception of summer, where it was properly dark, you'd see it frequently, as much as several times over a few hours, if you were in the right place and it was the right conditions. Those who saw it believed, or at least were led to believe, that it was caused by the equipment used by the Met. Office at Sumburgh Airport to measure the altitude of the cloud base in the dark, reflecting on the cloud cover/moisture content in the athmosphere.

My granny was one out at Hamnavoe, Burra, apparently. She said it was over the light house late at night and stayed bright yellow for the longest time before it just dissapeared (no it wasn't the light house).

Now my granny is quite religious so she isn't one to believe in UFO's and such but she's convinced that she did see one. Also - she's not that old either, about 65 I think and her sight (and brain) aren't bad at all.

I dunno. I'd love to see one but I haven't had the priveledge so far.

Once you get logged in Sammy are you going to unleash your sizeable portfolio of the paranormal on this website? You are the Fox Mulder of Shetland after all.

I think I may have seen the picture you're talking about. Are you going to post it?

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you get abducted and gang-probed.

Yes, i do pride myself as being Shetland's number one paranormal investigator. I can't post the photo at moment as it's on my old computer back in Shetland but i will see if i can get it e-mailed down to me. I will also have to clear it with the guy who took the photo.

In the meantime you should check out this article http://www.truthseekers.freeserve.co.uk/truth/tr2ew.html

It claims there is an underwater alien base just off Shetland. Might be worth getting the fishing rods out for a look in the summer to see if we can catch an ET.

Good hunting peeriebryan!

A story i'd lke to hear more about was published in a book about Scottish paranormal activity in which the singular tale from Shetland relates a tale from the Sand Lodge area of sandwick in which a named individual saw a globe-like object hovering near to the ground and possibly entering a house. It sounds more like ball lightning than anything else, I wish i had the book to hand for details. Being that the guy was named, and the story very specific, it surprised me that i had never heard the tale outwith this fairly strongly biased book. It also stunned me that this was the authors only reference to Shetland with it's vast folk history of paranormal activity.

I think i've read the same book. Wasn't there also a case of ball lightning in Aith during the 1990's as well?

• 1 month later...

I lived next door to where the guy(now deceased) saw the ufo. I think he though it was a biblical chariot! unfortunately I never looked out that night. His neighbour on the other side thinks he saw something however.

it was given a good airing in the local and scottish press at the time.

:roll:

A friend of mine said that it was not uncommon on the isles after a gale to see a ball of spume blowing out of the sea -full of mareel (natural phosphoresence) and travel through the air in ghostly fashion. That might explain some incidents. In the early seventies walking home one night (in the south end) I saw what seemed to be a flying craft with a searchlight following me slowly. I was oot o me wit an hoided ahent da daek. Of course I later realised it was a helicopter and probably some daft pilot playing around