Strange Structure

earlofzetland

it was a brig on da old road, wir paet bank was alongside it.Da concrete stucture is a firing range. at the end o da war a lot of ammunition was disposed of by blowing it up north past the range,untill mayby 20 years ago you could still see da green mark on da hill.

25 years ago, and before Peetsie scarified it all for peat, you could still find both spent and live cartridges amongst the heather where the soldiers shot from, and whole, part or mangled bullets on the copper-killed bare ground behind the target line (the concrete structure) :wink:

About 35-40 years ago, Shetland Gun Club operated a clay shooting range at the concrete wall as it has been called here. The "concrete wall" is in fact the "butts" behind which soldiers would have been deployed to raise targets and then take them down for scoring - there would have been a field telephone system to ensure that this operated safely and smoothly. The old access track went up past the Gremista farm house to a parking place over the fancy bridge, and if you look to your left as you enter Lerwick, on a green knoll near Gremista farm you will see a large stone which is engraved with the name of the regiment that built the road and the range.

I took a look at the engraved stone at Gremista Farm (Opposite the former Leasks Garage) yesterday and the sandstone has weathered a lot.

All I could make out was ROAD CONST........

As I remember it, you used to be able to read the name of the unit and the name of the officer in charge, plus a date.