Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I have mixed feelings about this whole issue.

At work this morning quite a few of the men were of the opinion that Dave Clark hadn't actually done anything within his job that merited getting the sack. Based on what he had done(Willie Shannon) and if he'd been found guilty of what he was accused of then what it would have merited(according to SIC procedure I presume) would have been an offcial warning.

At first I thought Jonathan Wills was going to be a force for good but the steer he's caused on just about everything and the way he's done it(using the media the whole time and running sooth like a pleepsing bairn) is making me grow a little tired of him. The man with the gift of the gab is not always right, indeed if rarely....

And as for these "protests" for goodness sake this is Shetland and I have to ask but have we really sunk, as a community, to this level?.

It would appear so......

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this lot of politicians are liable to be held responsible for their actions come the next election. Now that could be good or it could be bad. Might end up with a council with no ideas of their own and who more or less did what the officials told them.....but would that be good or bad?.

they were expressing there right to protest. with 5% signing a petition and it being thrown away. with 50 views on the charity status being thrown away unread. what would you have the people do. as wolfie smith would have said power to the people.

our representatives don't seem to want to listen maybe they need a lesson or two on doing so.

with their period being extended a year were going to have to put up with them for an extra year unelected. why don't they recognise the anger in the community and stand down and face the electors. we know that sandywants to retire so maybe he should go now

Kavi Ugl should know that this public protest has nothing to do with Jonathan Wills, it is a spontaneous response by the public against wrong. Also the public have the right to protest as and when they can, never mind about 'what is shetland coming too.

If cosla think that Mr Clark's case should be confidential, why did he live his private life in public?

So many people saw him. In a small place like this he has no chance of being anonymous.

So there.

Yes, and what about the other 95% who didn't sign the peitiion??.

Yes, people have a "right" to protest but this increasing "lynch mob" mentality is not the Shetland I was born into and brought up in.

I never said Jonathan Wills had anything to do with the protest, I was merely pointing out his behaviour in this whole debacle. Everything he does and has done is played out in the public/media domain.

I wonder how any one of us would feel, and react, if we had him biting and yapping around our ankles?.

Brian Smith's letter to the Shetland News was spot on. If we give the impression to Edinburgh that we can't even deal with our own affairs and go girning to them at every turn then that's music to their ears and they'll come in like a vulture and take control of and run the whole show.

On the other hand if DC has turned out to be the "Emperor's Clothes" then you do wonder how they got it so, so wrong.....

I was walking alang da Hillhead at 1215 today, an I saw a big guy in a Fair Isle gansey wi a placard sayin: ‘Councillors to resign’. I assume he's fae Radio Shetland, but it struck me as a funny way ta announce da news. Dan I spotted a woman wi anidder notice, dis time a prose poem aboot windmills. Wis she dere fae da Lerwick book group? Whit's goin on at da Toon Hall?

Unfortunately it looks like we can't look after our own affairs. This council staggers from one disaster to the next at the same time treating the public purse as a way of funding their own pet projects.

Like any other citizen in this democracy I have the right to protest peacably and that is in no way mob rule.

Guest Anonymous

3000 + working for the council and the only folk that did not sign the petition when shown it in one shop all worked for the council and almost all of them gave the reason that they were afraid for their jobs if they did.

and 1300 signatures in a week is pretty damn good.

I also know a few shops were reluctant to take the petition in case it affected their future grant applications

I'm at the shaking my head stage of things.

I feel he should go due to everything that has happened. To be given the position of CE you'd think he'd have some common sense (applies to a lot o ither folk as well) I've not seen much evidence of that since he was appointed.

Not sure about the whole council getting re elected.

weel apparently he wants 1.5 million o da shetland community's ever diminishing money. I think that says a lot aboot him.

And even £250,000 is entirely rediculous. dats anither £250,000 disappearing clean out of wir economy. Not ideal!! I winder what da liks o cope ltd wid do we £250,000, probably change a lot o folks lives!! sure he's entitled to a pay out by law, but is dat no a major loop-hole?

in an ideal world, if the majority of the council and public think their cheif isnt pulling his weight, then shouldn't their be a majority vote to give him the boot?

in my opinion, somebody shouldn't just waltz straight to the top spot of the council- I think they should work their way up. I think there were a couple of good local contenders for clarks job. But because of his father he seemed to have an advantage. but nobody knew if he would be any use because he wasn't involved in the council.. and now its obvious that he's not what we're lookin for.

i think you should earn such an important position like his, and earn people's trust! but hey thats just my opinion!!!

^^

Very well said. As i've said previously, there are some goood people working in the SIC management - give them a chanbc before looking at a complete outside bet (and that's nothing to do with racism by the way!)

There's too much emphasis on the chief executive. The real problem is the lack of leadership by the council. Councils need to have a well thought out agenda for their term of office, supported by the public. This can only come about through opposing political parties putting their agendas before the electorate. When resources are scarce there can be clear lines between the aspirations of different parties. But in Shetland there has always been a perception that hard choices don't need to be made and everything can be done. This way, nothing gets done.

^^ A leadership that can read the crowd, pull the best compromise from them they can, rein in the inevitable loose cannon or two, jolly along any ditherers and generally hound everybody, both elected people and upper management, to get on with things and get them done as quickly as possible, would go a long way towards making a cohesive and productive local government.

As it is right now, we have no local government, public services are being delivered despite them, luckily they didn't break anything vital on that side on their way down.

Its been light on leadership since day 1 by all appearances, and now they're reaping what they sowed as they stumble around in a guttery hole trying to scramble out but falling back in deeper every try.

I think Mr. Rory Mair of COSLA and Mr. Murray McCall of Anderson Strathern were 'appalled' partly because they couldn't successfully do their peerie mediations in private (for a total cost that is now reported to be nearer 500,000) and then to turbo-prop their way back down South, to where their locals might be a lot less vociferous.

They have to realise that they were invited to Shetland, therefore were not working in Edinburgh, Glasgow or London as usual, so therefore a totally different culture to them?

These are small islands and people have a right to be kept informed of the activities of their Council and Paid Officials in matters such as these.

Especially as the 'Star-Turn' seemed to be high profile more than not.

The crap is flying, probably even more so now and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't gonna be ultimately directed towards Dr J., but he aint alone.

By the by, the Anderson Strathern website has a section for Mr Murray McCall....

.... "he also acts in relation to Senior Executive Exits and has recently advised the Convenor of a Local Authority on a hearing before the Standards Commission of Scotland"

I don't know if this is a recent upgrade to the site?

Good to know that the Council employs expert Counsel.

Unfortunately, the result of whuch so far, has been to offer what appears to be a rediculous amount of money.