Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I distrust the shetland-news when it comes to journalism. I mean, just look at the pictures in that story! Clark looks like a rather well-fed incarnation of Satan... contrast that with the angelic photo filled with family values.. hmm.

That being said, something seems to have gone very wrong here. I just don't trust shetland-news to let us know what.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I'd seriously consider it if personal circumstances allowed, but....who's going to be daft enough to put their neck on the line and put their names as proposer and seconder on my nomination papers?!?.....After all, if I wasn't me, I don't think I'd nominate or second me, and I'd be pretty leery about voting for me :?

I'll do it and I'm not daft.

As far as I can see Willie Shannon came home from his holiday to be told, he had no job.

He must have known he was on borrowed time the moment he missed out on the top job; the town hall isn't big enough for two ruthless political operators.

I'm not sure either of them could accurately be described as ruthless political operators, particularly Willie Shannon. He comes across as someone of integrity and ability. The Councillors need to get a grip on this situation (not just in the future, but in this case), ensure that proper procedures are followed and direct that Mr Shannon gets a comprehensive apology.

The job of Chief Executive is so much more than getting the capital programme sorted out. Among many other things, even a ruthless political operator (in Shetland's modest terms) needs an elementary knowledge of employment law, an abilty to understand and apply the Council's procedures and a pinch of sensitivity and decency.

I know there's a view that the salary for the job is far too high. I'm not so sure. In terms of the scope of its activities and its spending power, the SIC is actually comparable with much larger local authorities that pay their Chief Executives substantially more; and the same may apply to some other senior posts. Are we paying at a level that can attract the depth and range of experience that we need?

It hurts to say it, but I think the evidence that we need to pay more (assuming we can get round another set of rules) has been accumulating for some time.

I'm not sure either of them could accurately be described as ruthless political operators, particularly Willie Shannon. He comes across as someone of integrity and ability.

Some people would disagree rather strongly about that. It is said by some that Mr Shannon's job ( which was unadvertised, and for which no other candidates were interviewed ) was a reward for keeping his mouth shut during the Goodlad brothers' legal difficulties.

I understand that although Mr Shannon's job was "deleted" he was made the offer of another job which apparently was not to his taste.

The press report states that he was called into discuss other positions but at no time was he told that these positions were to be offered to him as an alternative post to his existing one (allegedly). :wink:

Not only was the post not advertised (I can remeber the Times and the Unions complaining about that too at the time) but allegedly Mr Shannon also wrote the job description for the post as well.......mmmm that stinks if true and I would have zero sympathy in this situation as Mr Shannon has clearly through stealth elevated himself into an unsustainable position.

The fact of the matter appears to be that upon the arrival of Mr Clark the role of 'puppet' is no longer required whilst it is clear that Mr Shannon does not have the skills to address the admittedly difficult task of managing the capital programme. What is also clear from reading the reports is that the 'team' which Mr Clark met with to discuss this also think the same. I can also recall Mr Shannon having some kind of reputation as a fix-it man from his earlier Council career but ask anyone and no-one seems to know what exactly he fixed. This is obvious from various quotes which seem to indicate that he is a 'nice man' but 'we're not really sure exactly why is so good at his job'.

I think when you get to the position of saying that anti-nazi poetry is giving you comfort at this time you have accepted that you won't be employed by the SIC anymore and you are hedging your bets for a bumper payoff.

allegedly Mr Shannon also wrote the job description for the post as well.......mmmm that stinks if true

Not at all. I recently wrote my own job description too, and there are many good and honest reasons why this is a useful thing to do. Just because he was involved (allegedly) doesn't mean that nobody else had a say in it either.