Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an apology for writing 'as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show' would be welcome. :mrgreen:

Why should he apologise for saying something which is quite true? There are 1650 posts above, claiming that "hundreds" of these are illiterate is not difficult to show.

Guest Anonymous
I think an apology for writing 'as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show' would be welcome. :mrgreen:

Why should he apologise for saying something which is quite true? There are 1650 posts above, claiming that "hundreds" of these are illiterate is not difficult to show.

Agreed EM. It's easy to show that many posts on this topic, and I'm only really talking about my own posts, are of an illiterate nature.

But, as a person who has great difficulty in correctly phrasing things, I would also like to see Brian apologise for his ridiculous attempt to make any poster on this forum look like a lower form of life than himself, or the person that the topic is about.

I'll bet that Brian was a bully at school. The sort of bully who would be all to quick to poke fun and ridicule at his lesser literate classmates. Either that or he's just standing up for another bully.

There you are Brian, that's another illiterate post to add to the hundreds of others.

:evil:

By illiterate I don't think Brain was referring to anyones inability to read and write, which is fairly obvious from the posts above, unless you happen to have a secretary to dictate to. However he is correct in saying that many of the posts are illiterate in the sense that on this particular matter there are many people ignorant or uneducated in the subject. Me included. However someday the "truth will prevail" as the banner in the Shet News website proclaims.

Guest Anonymous
By illiterate I don't think Brain was referring to anyones inability to read and write, .....

Well, if that wasn't what he was meaning, then either I am illiterate for not being able to read properly, or he was just being nasty.

Many people have literacy problems, and it's very tasteless to pull the urine from anybody who has such a problem.

But, that's what bullies do. :evil:

In terms of signal-to-noise ratio I find Brian's posts to be extremely high. I just wish he would post more often.

I think an apology for writing 'as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show' would be welcome.

Why should he apologise for saying something which is quite true? There are 1650 posts above, claiming that hundreds of these are illiterate is not difficult to show.

In terms of signal-to-noise ratio, you are just plain arrogant. :mrgreen:

Now, now, lets just stick to the subject and all leave the personal attacks out, thanks. And yes, that applies to Brian's claim of illiteracy too, before anyone pleepses the 'He started it," line.

Perhaps the word ignorant would have been more appropriate and less offensive.

Thank you :wink:

^^ Perhaps if that was the meaning intended "uninformed" or something similar would have been a much wiser choice of terminology.

In common usage 'literacy' or 'illiteracy' is usually taken to be making inferences regarding the intelligence and general education levels of the party it references.

In a written medium terminology will be taken literally, it is the only safe route. Nuances do not carry well if at all in a wholly text communication, so when an author uses a word intending it to be taken in something other than its common usage meaning, they either need to make it clear what their intended meaning is, or expect to be hauled over the coals when its common usage meaning suggests something a reader finds somewhat offensive.

That aside, is the fact that folk are ignorant and uneducated on the subject of this thread not symptomatic of what generated the thread in the first place.

Everything has been done behind closed doors, everything kept as secret as possible, it is only that which has surfaced in "leaks" that can be known and commented upon. Obviously there is a great deal more to the story, but when it is never forthcoming despite numerous instalments to the saga, folk will do the best they can with what they've got.

It is the complete lack of any official announcement or even acknowledgement that the issues are being addressed, and are in capable hands that leaves many folk, myself included, from having any trust of anyone in the council, from the top to the bottom. So are doing the best they can with what little they've got to force a move in the inaction of those who should be dealing with it, and reassuring the public whom they represent that they are fully conversant with the issues and are addressing them competently.

Perhaps the word ignorant would have been more appropriate and less offensive.

More appropriate, but no less offensive!

Brian is very astute. (although sometimes a bit frugal with his words!)

I take that back! I see Brian has written a long(er than usual) letter here:

http://shetland-news.co.uk/2010/February/letters/Keep%20politics%20local.htm