Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I understand the the champange corks have been popping in St Olaf Street tonight.......absolutely disgusting.........

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE..!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that the champagne corks started popping last Friday afternoon. :(

SIC elected members et al should be total ashamed :oops:

As for contacting my own councillor to express my views...no thanks since they are Cluness /Miller/Wishart :roll: :evil:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday Mr Cluness said he could not breach the confidentiality of the agreement by discussing it, but stressed that it had the unanimous agreement of councillors last week.

He said that he understood people’s anger about the settlement, following a petition and a protest march calling on Mr Clark to be sacked, but called on people to approach their local councillor to air their grievances.

Sorry Saundy, but in view of the highlighted part of the first quote, as far as I am concerned Shetland Islands Council ceased to exist when they took that decision, so there is no council for my local Councillor(s) to be a member of, if they were still Councillor(s) that is, but they abdicated that/those position(s) too by taking that desision as well.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/February/news/SIC%20pays%20off%20chief%20executive.htm

Guest Anonymous

word is Sandy is lying through his teeth again the decision was certainly not unanimous. wills was denied the right to attend the meeting via a confrence call Gary robinson rejected it and a few others.

The man is a complete fantasist

I like Brian's use above of Yeats to make his point but would have thought that a more appropriate poem by that great writer would have been 'The Second Coming'. There are so many lines there that could be applied to different aspects of this scenario very precisely indeed...

Guest Anonymous
I like Brian's use above of Yeats to make his point but would have thought that a more appropriate poem by that great writer would have been 'The Second Coming'. There are so many lines there that could be applied to different aspects of this scenario very precisely indeed...

"Brian", "Yeats"?

Please don't try to make any comparison between them. :roll:

EDIT.

OK, just to show that I rethink my posts sometimes. That comment was a bit cheeky towards Brian, and I'm sorry for that. :oops:

Brian deserves better than criticism from me, so I'll write him a peerie poem.

I'll post it tomorrow, and, wordsmith that Brian is, I'l bet that he'll add a few lines/verses to it.

:wink:

Perhaps the most relevant words are those of Cromwell dismissing the Rump Parliament in 1653.

"You have sat there too long for any good you have been doing lately -- Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go"

Haven't ventured into this debate as I know something of employment law. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dave Clark wasn't contributing enthusiastically to the criticism of himself on this forum and hiding behind an anonymous title.

Everytime someone adds to the tide of vitriol against him his lawyers probably add a few thousand pounds to the settlement they demand as this provides further substantation to the case they are arguing. He probably organised the march to the town hall. That would have been the clincher for his deal. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this forum hadn't been printed out and used as evidence in arguing his position successfully.

Cosla are fully impartial. Read the statement Sandy Cluness issued. Who do you think chose the words? - Cosla did. Perhaps SIC didn't do a great job on the selection process but that isn't Clark's fault. The rest is down to how, or if, he breached the terms in his contract. How many people writing here know the content of the contract? I don't either, but if he has managed to get the pay off reported , with Cosla involved, then he must be legally and statutorily entitled to it.

I predict Cosla will fill the role of the next chief executive and will start running the council. Then watch out for school closures and forget about free music tuition etc. We can all march to the town hall then. They won't give a fig as their red pen will go through everything. Be careful what you wish for !

Sandy Cluness said:-

He said that he understood people’s anger about the settlement, following a petition and a protest march calling on Mr Clark to be sacked, but called on people to approach their local councillor to air their grievances.

...and that is exactly what everyone should do. Approaching them could prove difficult. You would have to catch them first. Phoning is probably a fruitless exercise but email should bring a result, providing of course that they know how to access their email.

See below for addresses.

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/coins/allMembers.asp?sort=0&page=0&rec=23

Click your councillor/councillors name and away you go.

It probably won't do much good but it should make you feel better.

Haven't ventured into this debate as I know something of employment law. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dave Clark wasn't contributing enthusiastically to the criticism of himself on this forum and hiding behind an anonymous title.

Everytime someone adds to the tide of vitriol against him his lawyers probably add a few thousand pounds to the settlement they demand as this provides further substantation to the case they are arguing. He probably organised the march to the town hall. That would have been the clincher for his deal. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this forum hadn't been printed out and used as evidence in arguing his position successfully.

And a council with balls and a good lawyer could have shot it all down in court, apparently we possess neither. There's a flipside to all of that that equally works against him.

Guest Anonymous

Decided to start this tonight to give Brian some thinking time. :lol:

Brian, my ancient archived friend,

I think you're finally round the bend

You've given life to Satan's heart

By speaking up for David Clark.

I know you think that communism

Is the oldest, greatest, and best 'ism

But have you ever thought my friend

That this ideal is near it's end?

The people haven't got a say

As has been proved by the SIC today

You think that you support the minions

But you've failed to read the folk's opinions.

A quarter Million paid in haste

Another sign of Shetland's waste

To rid the isles of a failed CE

Who at the best was taking the pee.

Brian.

Over to you. Let's see what you can add.

^^ Those who either weren't at the meeting or opposed the agreement better publically declare it, and PDQ, or they'll be tarred with the same brush as the rest and all sent down with the sinking ship.

Whether any particular member missed the meeting or opposed the motion is irrelevant. It was a decision taken by the council, and as professionals they must stand by that decision irrespective of their personal views.

We all know some have struggled with this basic level of integrity in the past, so it will be interesting to see what happens now. Lets not forget, as far as we know from the reports, the council is now going to move on under the umbrella of COSLA, who are likely to be much more pro-active in dealing with those who can't grasp the basics. Or should I say "hopefully".

^^ Those who either weren't at the meeting or opposed the agreement better publically declare it, and PDQ, or they'll be tarred with the same brush as the rest and all sent down with the sinking ship.

Whether any particular member missed the meeting or opposed the motion is irrelevant.

Its highly relevant to those of us who will be asked to vote in any of them who stand next time around, I certainly won't be voting for any current Councillor who supports this pay off at any time ever in the future.

Unless they disassociate themselves within days from the disgrace that this supposed conclusion is, they needn't be asking for my vote.

I also suspect that Sandy will be quietly looking forward to the end of his term. I do believe he has been out of his depth.

On that I can agree completely. My personal opinion has been that when he was all togged up with his chain of office on doing the "civic" side of the role, he was in his element, and did the job proud. But when it came to the political side of it, especially when there was any kind of controversy afoot (and lets face it when doesn't it go hand in hand with politics), he came over as struggling and ill at ease.

When Wills brought up having a seperate political leader and civic leader early on in this council, I wondered what he was banging on about at first as I couldn't really see the point, but it soon became apparent where he was coming from. Perhaps even a "diplomatic" move of his part to try and allow Sandy his glory, yet have someone in charge of the political side who was more at home with it. If anyone could have been found from the 21 possibles. :?

A kick-ass Convenor who takes no sharn and runs a tight ship is certainly desperately needed to get the whole show back on an even keel and moving ahead. Thick skin, dogged determination, and the ability to revel in the face of adversity a must.

But is there anybody about with the stature, integrity and independence of A I Tulloch?