Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

This whole business seems to me to be another woeful stage in the decline of Shetlands ability to do anything constructive. Again and again in the last 10 years we have dithered, U turned, bigged up then torn down and generally arsed around on anything and everything. AHS shambels, Mareel discord, Fixed links fiasco.....next is Whalsay Ferry Terminal and god knows how long and deep the Windfarm Wars will run.

Solution; Our Councillors appoint a "new broom" Chief Exec to get things done. Follow through; Then the first thing he tries to done, sort out a pointless post that had been a long standing embarrasment, lying around for years. Result; They sit back and let the anyone and everyone who has an agenda to run, or an axe to grind, rip him to shreds.

Not easy to see how things are going to change without some politicians taking proper responsibility, but thats a pretty folorn hope I guss.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems possible that Mr Shannon and his supporters might be pleased that Mr Clark will not now be able to present his case to the council regarding the details of how he handled the run-up to the reorganisation over the months since he took up his position.

However, hopefully the details Mr Clark had prepared for the meeting will be presented on his behalf, as more recent press reporting seems to suggest that all was not as had first been claimed.

It would be good to think that the councillors could make a balanced decision on the facts which will be available to them from both sides, without being distracted by the furore which has been created in the meantime!

Guest Anonymous

When the whole barrel of apples is rotten, there is only one way to proceed.

The SIC should be dissolved, a new election held, then the new councillors, who hopefully won't just be elected on the principle of 'they'll do', can start at the top of the SIC admin system with a new Chief Executive, new minions, etc..

Shetland is starting to be an embarrassment in the national, and international media. It's time for a complete rebuild of the council, from the top down.

It seems very unlikely to me that the Council will consider any "facts" on Wednesday, the smell of blood in the water seems bound to create a feeding frenzy on the wounded, as one might expect given the audience.

Can't see how anything that Mr Clark saw need sorted out, no matter how obvious is was to any casual observer, is now going to get any consideration with trial by media and hysterical mob rule in full cry and being bouyed by apparant sucess.

Mainlander, I find it odd that someone who's only just thinking of moving to Shetland should register today and only post on the thread about the Chief Exec - you also seem to be almost defensive of the some claims being made about DC's behaviour.

You're not trying to pull the wool over our eyes are you?

It's just that if I was moving to somewhere new I'd probably be posting on other threads (housing, cost of living, weather, etc) rather than getting embroiled in local politics - just seems odd to me.

ya were a hysterical mob. pitch folks and flaming torches.

its neither the press or the people who think this whole thing is stupid fault. whether Clark, wills or any other of them are at fault remains to be seen. but what is clear is that non of them like or trust each other. if this is all made up to shut Mr Clark up and let the status Que continue then Dr wills has committed a criminal offence, and would or should be forced to stand down.

if it turns out that Mr Clark has things to feel bad about then it would be best to get it sorted now. if that is they are grown up enough to be in the same room.

the issue with the deputy was badly handled and there are more than Mr Clark to blame. he met with high up counsellors to discuss this with them. did none of out experienced leaders not know the council rules about employment relations.

Mr Clark is new to councils and he would not have come across the joys of council infighting.

yes trout i did not like his appointment. however i did like how he got the high school argument dealt with.

i also agree if there are posts that can be deleted then i support that but it needs to be done humanely. not after someone just gets back off there holidays. why we need so many high up managers for a small council.

Mr Clark also needs to remember that his posts is both managerial and symbolic of the SIC. So what fine in his past posts is not necessary the right thing to do now.

still the whole thing is a load of rotten manure. What Mr Clark may or may not have done is nothing compared to the last post holder. he as never been found guilty by the standards folk. odd that the last post holder got to stay on.

odd the number of new shetlanders involved with this thread.

lol infiltrator! :lol: Have done my research when on visits so know quite a lot about the weather etc, but expect I will be asking questions on those threads when the thought of moving turns into something more concrete. This thread seems the most interesting for now though - but will try to come up with some good thoughts on pink dog poo for you!

I'm not a "New Shetlander" been here all my life. I was only moved to register and post something today because things seem to me to have got to an unparralled low point.

Wan wye or annider we are going to have to get out o this completely destructive style of trying to undermine, oppose and obstruct anybody and anything through any tactic and rgardless of consequences. It might be fun for some folks, it might feed their ego's or make them feel important, but it's not getting anything done and its posion to everyone around them.

I have never been so depressed and demoralised about Shetland as I have been dis last week. I'm not sure what the answer is, but i can't imagine its getting rid of everybody that worksd for the Council. Sounds a bit like the Pol Pot soultion, "kill everybody that wears glasses, becuase their obviously intellectuals"

Mind you nothing would be that surprising in the current climate of vindictiveness.

Axol, I think your frustration is shared by lots of folks, glad you've taken the time to share your opinions.

After the goings on over the last few years, folk were hoping that this new appointment was to be the start of the council getting the wagon back on the tracks.

Regardless of the outcome of the enquiry, a lot of damage has already been done, and once again Shetlands name is being dragged through the national media for all the wrong reasons.

This needs to be nipped in the bud quickly one way or another, the longer it goes on the more damage will be done.

Roll up roll up to the greatest show in town, Shetland Islands Circus.....sorry I mean Council.

Reading the article in the sun it states Mr Clark 'has been seen alot in the local pubs and it is frowned upon' poor guy likes a pint (or ten) after work, dont we all?, well he should maybe choose his venue a bit better to keep away from the snipers.

nowt's been proved yet so there is no post to fill. if it is proven.

then i guess it will have to start from the beginning. but that does mean we need another consultant to advise them again. great another large chunk of cash going sown the pan.

what about buying in the staff from another authority. get rid of all the heads of departments re group them under fewer sections and reduce the number of bosses. this won't have much impact on what gets done because the real workers will still be doing there jobs.