Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

... the new CEO ...

Just a minor query. CEO means Chief Executive Officer and is generally used in the private sector. Is it also used for local government? I thought the post was Chief Executive. I'm not nit picking, I'm genuinely curious if the CEO term is used in the public sector and don't know.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who messed up on all the oil related spending. This is not a moan im intrested. how much do we owe for all the substandard buildings ect. have we negotiated the clear up of sullom voe and if so when do we let the oil companies walk away from their deals.

Now what posts has David held.

... the new CEO ...

Just a minor query. CEO means Chief Executive Officer and is generally used in the private sector. Is it also used for local government? I thought the post was Chief Executive. I'm not nit picking, I'm genuinely curious if the CEO term is used in the public sector and don't know.

I have temped long term in more than one London Borough and yes, the abbreviation of CEO for Chief Executive Officer is used; probably as the person in that post is a "public officer" so to speak if you get my drift.

^so you're all for "jobs for the boys" then PB?

:twisted:

indeed not but if there is an internal candidate that has show the required ability then they should be promoted. thus saving what was it the £50,000 that was quoted as the cost of recruiting for the post. you see lots of government jobs for internal candidates only. What then happens when the three losers decide that they need to change jobs. how much is that going to cost.

Did the selection panel know him if so they should of stepped down.

:lol: By that logic they would have had to step down due to knowing all the internal applicants. I would have thought it more the case that if any of the panel did not know the internals should have stepped down.

who messed up on all the oil related spending. This is not a moan im intrested. how much do we owe for all the substandard buildings ect. have we negotiated the clear up of sullom voe and if so when do we let the oil companies walk away from their deals.

Now what posts has David held.

I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate on these questions paulb, or retract them.

Could you explain, and back up, what you mean in saying "messed up all the oil related spending"

Could you explain what "sub-standard buildings" you are referring to and what money is owed to whom for/on them?

What clear up of Sullom Voe it is that you feel is necessary? If you mean returning the site to an agreed state in perhaps 30-50years time when operations there cease, this was a part of the original agreement that allowed the site to be developed, as I understand it. If this is what you are referring to I fail to see any relevance to the topic whatsoever. The terminal was built over 30 years ago and has a similar life expectancy and none of the current administration were either involved in it's inception, nor will be in it's final administration, or it's highly unlikely anyway.

And finally "when do we let the oil companies walk away from their deals", once again, could you elaborate on which deals and on what grounds you see the need to discuss them 'walking away' from the deals?

And could it all be relevant to the selection of the new Chief Exec please?

Thanks. :wink:

did his dad not help get us a not bad deal on the oil fund?

That was indeed so. It was always my impression that of all the individuals on the planet, Shetland's wealth since the 70's owes more to him than anyone else.

Yup, he did such a good job an oil company immediately head-hunted him to prevent him doing them any more damage....or maybe....Oops, no, that would definitely create merry hell under the T&C's.

Lets just say, not all Shetlanders at the time thought it was all that brilliant of a deal he'd brokered. An okay one, but nothing more, and most of them did much speculation as to the "why".

An interesting article on how Ian Clark brokered the oil deal - http://business.scotsman.com/business/How-Shetlands-Gaddafi-took-on.2591741.jp

Yeah but £11m a year is chicken feed to oil companies ... interesting read though.

As far as I'm aware the only other UK local council that received any 'oil money' was the Orkney Island council and their oil reserve fund is significantly less than Shetlands.

Unless you lived through it, it's very difficult to realise the transformation that Shetland went through largely due to the oil fund and other oil related cash.

How many other regions with a population of 20,000 people have 9 swimming pools, 200 halls and roads that would be the envy of most councils.

£11 million a year may not seem much but it's £11 million a year more than it would have been had the oil been landed anywhere on the mainland UK.

As for the new chief exec, good luck to him, surely things can only improve :?:

An interesting article on how Ian Clark brokered the oil deal - http://business.scotsman.com/business/How-Shetlands-Gaddafi-took-on.2591741.jp

Yeah but £11m a year is chicken feed to oil companies ... interesting read though.

As far as I'm aware the only other UK local council that received any 'oil money' was the Orkney Island council and their oil reserve fund is significantly less than Shetlands.

Unless you lived through it, it's very difficult to realise the transformation that Shetland went through largely due to the oil fund and other oil related cash.

How many other regions with a population of 20,000 people have 9 swimming pools, 200 halls and roads that would be the envy of most councils.

£11 million a year may not seem much but it's £11 million a year more than it would have been had the oil been landed anywhere on the mainland UK.

As for the new chief exec, good luck to him, surely things can only improve :?:

Fair points, I didn't live through the transformation and yes, Shetland does have 9 swimming pools, etc. Out of interest, did they tie inflation in with the £11m?

I'm not begrudging Shetland the dosh by any means but just remember previously working for Foster Wheeler how much profit oil companies make!

Guest Anonymous

It completely beggars belief that certain members of this forum can find reasons to criticise a man before he has even started in the job.

What must he think of Shetlink if he happens to read this thread?

Shame on Shetlinkers for being such a bunch of negative old women.

It completely beggars belief that this certain members of this forum can find reasons to criticise a man before he has even started in the job.

Hear hear.

It completely beggars belief that this certain members of this forum can find reasons to criticise a man before he has even started in the job.

Hear hear.

Err I wasn't aware I had criticised him! Less of the old please LOL.