Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

Surely there is no smoke without fire,

This "gem of wisdom" seems in general to be universally believed. Frankly (and making absolutely no reference to the current issue) I have been aware of many situations where there has indeed been lots of smoke and no fire, as well as lots of smoke and lots of fire, but the fire was with the other side entirely. As I say, no comment on the current issue's fire or otherwise, but I always bristle when I hear this line because it is not true.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I may have missed something Para Handy, but where does it mention anything about personal email addresses?

@paulb

I have no idea how you jumped from that quote to the method in which the council handles complaints. And I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make.

My post was a responce to the following .

"The council has sought to limit public speculation into the whole affair, with senior management sending an email to all SIC employees yesterday warning them not to discuss the subject of their chief executive with members of the press."

It depends on what the interpretation of " all SIC employees " is

As a employee of the council at the road worker level. I was asked for my E-Mail address when I asked what they wonted it for, they could not give me a good reason for the request so I refused it

Errrrmmm, Oddtablet, with reference to your query, might I respectfully suggest that if you don't .....

"keep your nose out of private matters" ..........." you might "get an ffffffn........" (allegedly).

Shetlinks really no more the place to debate and discuss peoples personal and private lives than any other public forum, .........excepting the pub maybe........but youve got to watch what you do there nowadays as well!!!

I thought Brian Smith summed things up very well in his letter to the Shetland News today (and I paraphrase cos I can't be bothered to read it again). "I don't like rules being bent, but I like witch hunts even less".

Not much encouragement there for Dr Wills earlier call in the letters column of the same organ, for "trade unions, community councillors and SIC councillors, as well as MSPs and MPs" to be mobilsed to lead the baying mob through the streets. (Why not Joanna Lumley, the Pope and Bono as well?).

Time for a bit of calming down and growing up maybe? rather than getting more and more hysterical.

Surely there is no smoke without fire,

This "gem of wisdom" seems in general to be universally believed. Frankly (and making absolutely no reference to the current issue) I have been aware of many situations where there has indeed been lots of smoke and no fire, as well as lots of smoke and lots of fire, but the fire was with the other side entirely.

Fair point EM, however you can't imagine that the allegation has come from nowhere and if there is any truth then it is not acceptable from a man in his position?

Am I right to suggest Mr Clark registered an interest in Judane so could not investigate matters ?

Am I also right to suggest that Mrs Miller would not take part in the meeting on Wednesday regarding Mr Clark ?

Why ? :? :?: :?

Oddtablet, if you don't know then ask your neighbour or down the local shop. I live south and heard about this side of events at least a couple of weeks ago.

IMO Dr Willis is the biggest spin merchant the islands have ever seen.

He's got all the local media (who incidentallike are now a bunch of tabloids chasing each other's tails - or should that be tales!!) running around after him. Someone said Willis should step back from all this, I think the local media should take a good look at themselves and stop being worked by this pain in the ****. Bring back good old fashoined journalistic values I say, not the currant nonsense were being fed on.

Agree with loss of journalistic value, but aren't we (including myself) doing exactly the same on this thread? It's more about Dr Wills than David Clark.

Forget about the alleged teeth incident ( shame it's going to take up so much council time, when there are much more important matters to concentrate on, like the windfarm etc.)

There's something important that happened earlier on, but seems to have been swept under the carpet: the indipendent review re. Anderson High. the result was meant to be a recommendation but was a cop-out. And it was done by one of Clark's cronies. Wills raised concerns about this at the time, and quite rightly so, but didn't get any backing, which says a lot about the SIC and standards in public life.

As far as I know this review could have been done in Shetland, at far lesser cost, by a quantity surveyor, or a team of them, folk who know both sites, and have experience in the local building trade and site-specific engineering. I'm sure they could've made a better informed decision - with an actual recommendation.

There's still that 10k expenses claim from Laidler, waived through just like that, by Gussie Angus I think. 10k are peanuts to the SIC, but hey, Laidler was paid 60k for the work - six weeks in all, and needed an extra 10k??? Did he go on a world cruise during that time or did he buy a very large floating duck house?

There are still folk in shetland, the "oil-rich island" who earn less than that in a year!

Some folk on this thread have suggested that as Shannon's post was created without full consultation and not advertised there shouldn't be any fuss made when Clark "deleted" it. Two wrongs don't make a right. Fact remains that Clark did not consult with the full council and the trade unions.

These are the important issues.

Everbody in public life knows about the Nolan Principles, and should be guided by them. David Clark ignored them in both cases.

I can't see how he can regain the respect he's lost.

I have been reading the Shetland Times online archive to try and get some background on the Laider review.

It looks from that as though the council could have rejected the suggested appointment of Mr Laidler if they had wanted, but chose not to, with "The Old Rock" editorial of 25th June stating that "most other councillors contacted by this newspaper yesterday were content with the appointment". The piece was titled "Storm in a Thimble".

It reads as though it was most other councillors apart from Mr Wills. Does anyone know if this was the start of the animosity between them?

With regard to surveyors fees, £60,000 plus expenses is certainly a large figure. But the last time I had a full structural survey done on a house I wanted to buy, it cost £800, and took less than half a day as the surveyor had already done a previous report on the property.

I agree, Moorit, I see nothing wrong with that either. It was not that I wondered whether Mr Clark had taken those questions as being animosity, more that I wondered whether that particular council decision (over who should carry out the AHS review) was the original factor that had led to the animosity between the two men over the months since.

But maybe they just never got on.