Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I'm not sure that the full council was perhaps the best group to appoint him Lots of different views.

so who the f%%% should appoint the chief exec of a council the regulars at 11am in the thule, get a grip boy

What, you mean to say they're not the one and the same. :shock: :wink:

Well, well, live and learn.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In all this interesting discussion about father & son chief execs it needs to be remembered that the chief executive is not the Council. At the time of Ian Clark there were senior Councillors whose altruistic love of Shetland was obvious; men such as Dodie Willie, A I Tulloch and John Jamieson, as well as councillors such as Alex Morrison and Jimmy Patton with a realism grounded in the hard times experienced by them in the 30's and later. A great debt is owed to them as well as to Clark.

I see that Jonathan Wills is getting stuck into the new Chief Exec over his appointment of some chap he has had previous dealings with to conduct an "independant" review of the new AHS project.

.http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2009/June/letters/Open%20letter%20to%20Dave%20Clark,%20chief%20executive%20of%20Shetland%20Islands%20Council.htm

I'm not quite sure why it is but if JW presented a case that black was black and white was white I'd probably feel compelled to argue against him. He's obviously a clever and able bloke but he just can't help being a sanctimonious no bend.

Anyone who states "I told you in an email at 3.09pm today" followed by "your announcement at 5.07pm today" is probably chocker full of self-importance. He goes on to make reference to the Nolan Principles (perm any 4 from 6?) which are designed to make sure everything happens at infinitesimally slow Council speed. He was once a bit of a reactionary, maybe even a revolutionary, but he is now swimming, it would seem, in the same treacle that tends to paralyse decision making across the land.

Oh - and anyone who writes an "Open letter to........." in the local paper is as interested in self promotion as in the the cause they are fighting for.

^^ Agreed.

Its sad that he hasn't acknowlegded the huge public input that ultimately caused the last minute decision to swing "his way", and seems convinced he did it single handedly. It's really no more than coincidence that he picked a subject and view that was so well reflected.

Whilst I respect the need to keep everything above board, it seems foolish not to take advantage of our new Chief Exec's previous experience and expertise on this project. A great opportunity to show the public what he can do and win over some support. Assuming it all goes right :D

^^ I dunno. By hiring an associate in the current Chief Exec's own company its difficult to see what is going to be settled once and for all whatever the outcome of his review is.

If he opts for the Knab option to proceed the objectors are potentially going to shout "fix", on the basis he'd been nobbled from within the council machine, and if he comes out in favour of another site/design, the supporters of the Knab site/design are potentially going to shout "fix" on the basis that he had little choice but oppose it to try and prove his "impartiality".

Someone who had no previous history with the council and was not connected in any way to anyone on the council payroll either past or present might have been afforded credibility by the opposing camps, I'm dubious if that can happen when you use a previous business colleague of a current employee.

Judge for yourself on the criteria of the Nolan Principles. I have no issue on the process or choice of selection for the new Chief Executive. I do have a major issue with one of his first decisions.

The Seven Principles of Public Life

Selflessness

Holders of public office should take decisions solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends.

Integrity

Holders of public office should not place themselves under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might influence them in the performance of their official duties.

Objectivity

In carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, holders of public office should make choices on merit.

Accountability

Holders of public office are accountable for their decisions and actions to the public and must submit themselves to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to their office.

Openness

Holders of public office should be as open as possible about all the decisions and actions that they take. They should give reasons for their decisions and restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands.

Honesty

Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.

Leadership

Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by leadership and example.

These principles apply to all aspects of public life. The Committee has set them out here for the benefit of all who serve the public in any way.

this is going to sound bad from me. But he stated that he had a relationship with the chap doing the review. i think he scrapes through the rest of them. i think he rushed it but i think he was trying to get it back on track. even if there is a debate over the employment remember every week of delay is going to cost us.

How much is his mate charging us for this. i hope its not charted surveyors rates. and that he does not claim a mileage allowance.

can we say the same about the council. what is Johnathan's reasoning. he clearly has an agenda. he is on the school council so is he representing his voters/fellow school council members/or other interests.

i agree that a review is needed to insure that this is the right choice but wanting the project delayed by sending it south is over kill. they have been running around for years over this project. this has sent the cost to more than double. can we claim that back from the councillors over the last 20 years.

he will struggle because lets face it the councillors are highly qualified debaters hence there inability to agree on nearly anything. i suppose that's why there all independent there too plain annoying to make a party work.

he will struggle because lets face it the councillors are highly qualified debaters hence there inability to agree on nearly anything. i suppose that's why there all independent there too plain annoying to make a party work.

I would tend to describe most of them as being so pig-headed, blinkered and incapable to seeing, let alone thinking outside the box the hired help puts them in, rather than possessing of much debating talent. Beyond that I'll say nowt, as the Mods would just have to take down everything I put up. :lol:

^^ I'd seriously consider it if personal circumstances allowed, but....who's going to be daft enough to put their neck on the line and put their names as proposer and seconder on my nomination papers?!?.....After all, if I wasn't me, I don't think I'd nominate or second me, and I'd be pretty leery about voting for me :?

Skyumpi, you confuse me.

Am I right in thinking that your objection to Dr Wills is the fact that he is an intellectual who backs up his arguments with facts? (see ‘Nolan Principals’ comment) Or to the fact that he is doing what he is paid to do and letting the public know what the council is doing with our taxes? (See ‘Open letter’ comment).

Also, unlike your self, he is not out to give a character assassination and his only beef with the new Chief Exec is the fact that he’s not sticking to the rules, i.e. those Nolan principles you detest so much. Dr J seems to be of the opinion that if Davie Clark’s man is the best one for the job then so be it but the council has to stop cutting corners and actually follow its own procedures.

Democracy obviously isn’t your thing I see Skyumpi.

I’ll admit, everyone hates a Know-it-all but if that Know-it-all is there to represent me then I cant say I’m complaining. At least he does his homework!