Anyone on T-Mobile?? Mobile phone coverage

BigMouth

Out of interest, does anyone know what the 3 coverage is like in Shetland?

I read a few months back that they piggyback their service off of O2 masts these days. So one assumes the O2 and 3 coverage will be fairly similar? No?

AFAIK this is exactly what happens. Your 3 reception will be as good as O2's but you won't get any of the 3G gubbins. Then again this may have changed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rather amused to be able to text my girlfriend in England as I stood atop the hill above Muckle Flugga. That's a spot that feels like the middle of absolute nowhere... excepting the Saxa Vord dome across the way...

(on Vodaphone)

T-Mobile is alive and well.

I just checked my post to find that the T-Mob SIM card had arrived. I put it in my phone and walked from Staney Hill to the lanes up from The Street. I am happy to say that the signal was full strength for the whole route.

This is very impressive compared to the reception 3 years ago when I arrived here.

Guest Anonymous

YES!

I can say i told you so now peesterleestee! Without getting kicked for it anyway.

Also in the RGU union (Aberdeen) tonight my mate on vodafone had no signal when I had full bars... which i have to admit is not usual but it happened!

Cheers BigMouth for this info!

(jono a friend for life) HA HA.

Sadly, I fear that I was premature. Got up this morning and there is no signal.

Before you write this off entirely, bear in mind that I have yet to register and top up for the first time. I tried to text on it last night in case there was any credit at all, they used to give you £1 to start off with, but the text bounced back saying that my credit was nil. :cry:

MMH well all i can say is they must have improved their signal up here, if they have transmitters on the Bressay mast, they must have gone up recently, as i can see mast from my house, yet could not get a signal inside (that was november/december last year) and they did tell me then that they had no plans to upgrade their system in my area.

• 2 months later...

I use T-Mobile and vist the Shetlands frequently. There's absolutely zero reception at Sumburgh. As for in Lerwick, I think it's better towards the north.(Co-op onwards) and I get a very good reception at Green head where my ship usually berths. If I'm in the pubs in Lerwick I tend to have to go outside to make a call which is alright in summer but, not so good the rest of the time.

Although I am in Gals Vegas at the moment, I don't get out of Lerwick much normally. I have to say that I couldn't recommend T-Mobile on their reception. It doesn't work at home, at work, or anywhere else I need to text/phone from :?

The price plans look pretty good though I have to say - especially the FlexT ones. No wonder Vodafone are losing so much business.

I use T-Mobile and vist the Shetlands frequently. There's absolutely zero reception at Sumburgh.

Reception is pretty non-existant in Sumburgh but if you are visiting regularly it may be worth your while going upstairs in the Airport if you are desperate to make a call as I certainly got a T-Mobile sim to work there once upon a time.

• 2 weeks later...