My pole cats, (rescued from traps and tamed) love a bit of tinned fish. Preferably in oil. YUM!

Having had lots of my hens killed by feral ferrets I am afraid I'd have dealt with the whole family in one go when they were catchable.

Either catch the whole lot and tame them down and keep them as pets. or dispatch the lot by terrier or gun.

Now I have to keep my head down and wonder what folk would say at using ferrets to kill rabbits....or terriers for vermin control for that matter.

There is a very useful service, in England, being offered by a club who take wayward kids and rescue dogs, putting them together and getting them out into the country at weekends and evenings ratting for farmers. The kids don't get into trouble with the police, the dogs are rescued and live fulfilled lives and the farmer gets his rats sorted.

Hi Tom Thumb..

Have PM'd you again. As I have done twice before.

Sounds like you are taking the proverbial?

If you wish to trap a polecat .... fish isn't the answer!!

They eat red meat and will be happy only with that!!

Fish won't work!!

Anyway sounds like you just want to waffle nonsence about Polecats.

Help was offered to you and it wasn't taken... Maybe get the Fairy with horses in the garden to help you sort it out...

Her dogs are waiting to help you!!

There is no helping people sometimes regarding Animal Welfare!!

You sound like one of them!! :twisted:

Grow up son. You're getting tiresome, and you wonder why people don't respond to your PMs? Not everyone will agree with you and if you chuck your teddy out the pram every time, in the end folk will ignore you.

if i could see the polecats getting rid of them would be easy as i own a rifle and a ratter dog, but in between walls all you can do is hear them and there is no way i`m hiting holes all over the house hence the only answer is a trap in the loft.

mattie. just getting used to shetlink so i may be a little slow in getting used to it and can only find 1 pm from you or anyone else thanks. when caught i will ring you and if you want it its all yours

have now changed bait for red meat

I only wanted.. instead of being dished.. and slagged off - to help you!!

You and others feel it quite acceptable to dispose of Polecats whether by gun.. snare.. poisoning etc....

And you find that quite acceptable and funny!!

Actually it is quick sick!!

I only wanted.. instead of being dished.. and slagged off - to help you!!

You and others feel it quite acceptable to dispose of Polecats whether by gun.. snare.. poisoning etc....

And you find that quite acceptable and funny!!

Actually it is quick sick!!

they are non native and are impacting on the native wildlife. its a shame that they were released but you really are wrong they need controlling or they will pose a major threat. look at what mink have done to water voles.

Ask Scottish nature what they think should be done with them it will not differ from trapping shooting. i would suggested that poisoning would pose a risk to other animals so possibly not a good choice.

I'm sure that no one gets jollies from killing animals but sometimes it needs doing. anyone who does enjoy killing for the sake of it is a different matter.

Found it quite shocking Frances 144 or whatever feels it necessary to set terriers on this polecat and kits... Maybe Ron Patterson of the SSPCA should have a look at her quote on Shetlink!!........

And I wouldn't set terriers on them - that is quite sick and shows the mentality of an idiot!!

Mr Patterson is very welcome to come and look at my 200 acres and 40 ponies now (note to self to change sig). He would find nobody underfed, unhappy or unloved. Every animal has a companion (even our stallion) and is regularly wormed, feet-trimmed and looked to. Is there a problem with my signature that I am unaware of?

As for setting terriers on vermin? It is legal and acceptable. My Patterdale terriers are fast efficient killers who have been bred specifically for this job by experts (Nuttall and Gould bloodlines, if I remember correctly). They do not play with their pray, just dig it up and instantly kill it. They are also trained to be called off at any point of the hunt so they do not kill indiscriminantly.

As for my mentality of an idiot - probably, for rising to this bait and answering your post!

But hey ho, what you wrote was verging on libel.

Thank you Shetlandpeat. Please keep this thread on topic and keep personal insults out of it. Unless anybody has a constructive comment that answers the OP's question then please don't bother replying to this thread.

We don't like locking threads but we will if we have to. :evil:

Thank you Shetlandpeat. Please keep this thread on topic and keep personal insults out of it. Unless anybody has a constructive comment that answers the OP's question then please don't bother replying to this thread.

We don't like locking threads but we will if we have to. :evil:

Just lock it before someone else chucks their rattle out of the pram. Save us all the bother.

To the OP - have you resolved your problem yet? It might be worth a call to Ron at the SPCA as he might have some helpful ideas too, and probably won't use the word idiot either.