Google car in Shetland

Silvercloud

Haven't been following this thread. But was shocked earlier when my son showed me Google Streep Maps.

What an invasion of privacy :evil:

I saw my underwear flapping on the washing line. My daughter playing in the garden with the dog. Albeit her face blotted out.

I thought this quite eerie and scary..

Haven't been following this thread. But was shocked earlier when my son showed me Google Streep Maps.

What an invasion of privacy :evil:

I saw my underwear flapping on the washing line. My daughter playing in the garden with the dog. Albeit her face blotted out.

I thought this quite eerie and scary..

To be fair, anyone could have just walked down your street and seen exactly the same thing. Anyway, how exactly is your underwear any different from anyone else's? Why is it even a big deal?

I used Street View when I was in London to help me get around, it was stupidly helpful. I'd imagine most tourists would feel the same in any other place, even Lerwick.

I used Street View when I was in London to help me get around, it was stupidly helpful.

On my last trip to Berlin I was expecting to find it similarly helpful. I discovered, however, that it is still not available in Germany. The reason for the delayed roll-out being the relatively greater amount of moaning by privacy groups. At least it hasn't been banned or cancelled there, but due to the pointless complaints, Germans and visitors are currently being deprived of a very handy tool.

... a bit OT ... :wink:

...however, that it is still not available in Germany.

Right, we have learned our lessons and must not always be the first ... :lol:

The reason for the delayed roll-out being the relatively greater amount of moaning by privacy groups.

NO - the main reason simply is: Google was not willing to accept German legislation. Their say:"What we can do elsewhere in the world should be possible in Germany as well!" ... not accepting that the legislation about many aspects is in the hands of the Federal States and not Berlin. The secondmost important reason: Google did not accept any rules about how to delete illegal images prior to the publication. And last but not least, google had to agree to some standard of professional cartography: zoom Shetland in to the highest level and you will see how many new islands are out there or simply look at the Shetland placenames in use, what placenames, how they are spelled and where they are placed ... :wink: It is by far worse than the whole OS mass!

At least it hasn't been banned or cancelled there, but due to the pointless complaints, Germans and visitors are currently being deprived of a very handy tool.

Right, work restarted, but in doing so, google agreed in the end to a lot of regulations which are not kept abroad. So for example google has to guarantee that the official road classifications have to be followed on google maps to avoid mistakes as you could / can easily find within the UK with primary routes classified as main roads only and the other way round.

... but due to the pointless complaints ...

There were many complaints, that's right and many of the complaints are still not delt with and many of the complaints by 'professional moaners' were simply rubbish. But pointless the whole affair??? To ask a global player like google to keep national laws and stick to the rules is not a "pointless complaint". I personally don't think so and in my opinion it is quite a simple thing: where those companies don't want to follow the law simply for their profit they have to be forced to do so !

I know it's been meant as an April fool's prank, but the 3D views are actually excellent in places!

(Image grabbed in case they do away with it)

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5728/commst3dcrop.jpghttp://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5728/commst3dcrop.th.jpg