Google car in Shetland

Silvercloud

OT ... just to keep you informed:

Google and the German government signed an agreement today:

a) Google will switch on street view only after ALL protests (private und public) are cleared.

B) Google will install a simplyfied clearing routine where individuals und city councils can ask for deletion of certain photos which match with given addresses two months PRIOR to the launch of street view.

c) Google agreed to delete all protested images within 48 hrs for the time after the start of street view.

In the end Google accepted that they acted illegally at least in two aspects:

i) You are entitled to photograph nearly everything except a few military installations within the FRG as long as you don't use any auxiliary equipment - the camera position 3m above ground is regarded as "with auxiliary equipment" ... like climbing a ladder ... everything that is visible in the images but would not be visible in case the camera would have been on a lower level is thus automatically illegal and must be removed without giving any further reasons.

ii) Google had scanned the whole private wifi networks along with the images and had planned to publish that informaation along with the street view images without prior notice. That was regarded as being illegal, too. There is no final decision what will happen with this material.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi folks

This topic is just to brag that I am actually on googlemaps when the googlecar passed me on my way to Hermaness but probly y'all have been filmed on Shetland as well. I think Ghostrider might not like this topic but I am proud to be now a part of Shetland, forever, and ever :D

http://maps.google.ch/maps?hl=de&ll=60.788867,-0.841209&spn=0.002833,0.010568&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=60.788867,-0.841209&panoid=Tw3UcqNCQ7dbnX6dfFzxYg&cbp=12,254.13,,1,8.5

[***Mod edit - merged threads***]

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi folks

This topic is just to brag that I am actually on googlemaps when the googlecar passed me on my way to Hermaness but probly y'all have been filmed on Shetland as well. I think Ghostrider might not like this topic but I am proud to be now a part of Shetland, forever, and ever :D

http://maps.google.ch/maps?hl=de&ll=60.788867,-0.841209&spn=0.002833,0.010568&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=60.788867,-0.841209&panoid=Tw3UcqNCQ7dbnX6dfFzxYg&cbp=12,254.13,,1,8.5

[***Mod edit - merged threads***]

It seems like the google car has been on Shetland again in 2015 and, as a result, I am not on Street View anymore :angry: Should have made a screen shot.

Edited by John D'oh

How often do they update street view ?

Google does not give out this information. However, there seems to be a rough 5 years interval (in Shetland the first version went online in 2011 and was updated in 2015. I have observed pictures in Switzerland from 2013 being updated this year.

Guest PJS1979

So were a couple of year away from a full update, i guess there are a lot of changes happening with new building works around Shetland so they might bring it forwards

I'm pretty sure some side roads are still on the 2009 version for us, it seemed to only be main roads and the more built up spots that got the update. Or that's how it was for a while anyway, not paid much attention lately, so possibly more has now been added.

Anybody up for doing a mass mooning session for them next they're here?

Edited by Ghostrider