Google car in Shetland

Silvercloud

So will somebody be knocking on my door shortly offering to sell me an aerial photo?

There's a good chance you'll be getting an unsolicited visit, yes. I find this more annoying than the google car. I have no idea what these people will be doing with the photos when I tell them I don't want to buy one - will they sell them on to someone else if asked???

We got our hands on an aerial photo of our house for free a few years ago. The guy had been around selling the photos and we hadn't bought one. Then when he had left the house he was staying in he left ALL the unsold photos so the owners of the house gave them out to everyone that they recognised the houses of. Now that was value for money!!

A lot of people interested in this car that's taking photos... What about the plane that's been tearing around photographing everybody's houses for the last couple of days? Anybody interested in that?

If thats the same one I saw on Sunday it's registered to a woman in Yorkshire. Google earth is from satellites anyway not from planes.

No, the photos are done from a plane, satellites canna zoom in to the detail of google earth, saw James May doing a thing on telly a bit back about it

We got our hands on an aerial photo of our house for free a few years ago. The guy had been around selling the photos and we hadn't bought one. Then when he had left the house he was staying in he left ALL the unsold photos so the owners of the house gave them out to everyone that they recognised the houses of. Now that was value for money!!

You can also haggle with them. I mean, who else is going to buy a photo of your house? They'll know a certain percentage of photos will never be purchased and will be dumped. We've had them on a couple of occasions. Many years ago, we weren't sure and they left a photo for us to think about. They never came back so we got it enlarged and framed.

Guest Anonymous
Google earth is definatly satelite images.

http://earth.google.com/

Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery,

Ya reckon!

'Although Google uses the word satellite, most of the high-resolution imagery is aerial photography taken from airplanes rather than from satellites'

They use a combination of imagery. But they definitely use satellite images, or why else would they have had such a big stake in a recently launched imaging satellite... (Can't find the link to that just now, but sure somebody here knows where to find it.)

Anyway, it's not difficult to read about where Google Earth gets their images from,,, just Google it.. :wink: :lol:

BTW. Speaking of aircraft photography, I recently watched a documentary which focused, in part, on the work of the OS survey flights. They use a camera which I think they said was over 100 Megapix. Did anybody else happen to see that?,, and is that Megapix number right, or did I hear wrong??

Google earth is definatly satelite images.

http://earth.google.com/

Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery,

Ya reckon!

'Although Google uses the word satellite, most of the high-resolution imagery is aerial photography taken from airplanes rather than from satellites'

They use a combination of imagery. But they definitely use satellite images, or why else would they have had such a big stake in a recently launched imaging satellite... (Can't find the link to that just now, but sure somebody here knows where to find it.)

Anyway, it's not difficult to read about where Google Earth gets their images from,,, just Google it.. :wink: :lol:

BTW. Speaking of aircraft photography, I recently watched a documentary which focused, in part, on the work of the OS survey flights. They use a camera which I think they said was over 100 Megapix. Did anybody else happen to see that?,, and is that Megapix number right, or did I hear wrong??

come on now Auld Ramsie, for a man who flogged satellite technology to the Shetland public you must realise a 10 megapixel camera could hardly photograph 10 mile away, now hows a satellite at 22000 mile gonna grab a detail photo of the earth?

hows a satellite at 22000 mile gonna grab a detail photo of the earth?

Try 770km if you look at google earth it tells you who supplied imagery. Shetland was done by Digitalglobe.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/

This is their new satellite due for launch this year.

http://worldview2.digitalglobe.com/about/

I think the imagery still has to be altered on computer to make it a recognisable pic though.

It may be of some interest that Google and the FRG (represented by the national data protection commissioner und his federal colleagues) signed a special contract about the legal conditions to publish a German street view website yesterday:

On request ...

1) Google aggreed to delete all personal information and all information allowing individual identification from its German street view images

2) that incl. esp. all images of individual people, all names, all street names and house numbers, all car registration numbers and all private stand alone houses

3) Google agreed not only to erase such information from the published images but from the unpublished basic images they keep in stock as well

4) Google has to fullfill all such requests within a defined time frame

5) Google has to confirm the request and the deletion in a justifyable written form

6) to allow an easy way to ask for such a actions, Google will provide a special 'abuse' link on the German street view website.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally have no objection to google having photos of my house online. If someone is so desperate to see it, im sure they can drive past it and they will see exactly the same thing as they would online! It cuts out a bit of hassle, but it still boils down to the same to me. Surely with all the other invasions of privacy- eg the endless information about us thats being held (and easily leaked) by the government, mailing companies, banks, on and on and on! - there's no much point in worrying about this one on its own - especially because its just an image, not captioned with names and such.

Although if i had something to hide i imagine it'd be a right pain!!

If people have something to hide, and its being captured by a car driving along as all the other's do, they aren't doing much of a job of hiding it IMO :D

Slightyly OT - but does anyone else find Google's street view useful?

I find it excellent when attending meetings/gigs or whatever to be able to actually see the door i'm supposed to be heading for before going. Yes maps are fine, but nothing matches actully seeing the place.

• 1 month later...
A lot of people interested in this car that's taking photos... What about the plane that's been tearing around photographing everybody's houses for the last couple of days? Anybody interested in that?

So will somebody be knocking on my door shortly offering to sell me an aerial photo?

It didn't take too long...

him: Knock, knock, knock.... Hello, I've been taking pictures of your house. Would you now like to give me £48 for a copy?

me: No thanks.

:x