Disabled/Parent-child Parking issues

bexyJo

This is driving me crazy!!!!! it's no easy to get a baby and toddler oot da car and into the trolley at the best o times, but it doesna help when fok wioot bairns steel wir parkin places!!!!!! Does this annoy anywan else?

(***Mod edit - Topic changed from "people without bairns parking in parent child parking at !!!" to better reflect the route the conversation has taken***)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as bad as people without Blue Badges parking in Disabled spaces! The problem is that Mother & Child and Disabled spaces are the ones nearest the door so people who can't be bothered to walk a few steps use them. You sometimes wonder if they would drive right into the shop if they thought they could get away with it. :)

Yes, this is so annoying especially in large supermarket car parks where you eventually find a space what seems like half a mile away from the door, it's raining, there's no room to get the small child out easily without damaging something (usually your elbow) and all spaces near the supermarket are filled with illegal parkers - both the mother and baby slots and the disabled.

Sadly I doubt if it is illegal to park in either disabled or parent & child parking spots in supermarket car parks. And within Scotland it is not possible to clamp offenders. Having a system of marked bays that could be chained off when someone parks in the wrong space and then having the key holder go on an extended meal break might work. Alternatively direct action by other shoppers!. Get a couple of folk to stand with trolleys blocking the offenders exit while they have a nice long chat.

In the winter time Safeway, Summerfield and now Tesco. Lock the door where the disabled spaces are.. I saw a man in a wheel chair trying to get into his chair and then into the shop. But when he got to the door only to find it locked they don’t even put up a sign to tell people that it is shut..

At least a mother with a child. Could leave the child in the car and fetch the trolley, out to the car and put the child in it and then go back in to the shop. So who really are the lazy ones?. So some who do have a blue badge have had to use the child parking on that side when it is the only side thats open

It is also possible to have a disability and be a parent, or to be the parent of a child with a disability.

The biggest problem is someone who taking a space which is near the entrance and which has extra space on either side of the car when they don't need either adaptation. It's all down to being considerate of other people's needs.

i park in the mother and child bays at tescos quite a lot but it is usually just after 8am and there is not many cars in the carpark so it doesnt bother me as said they arent legally enforcable. if its busier i usually park at the ones next to the cash machine as they are close to the door and also have a drop kerb which the mother/child bays dont have :lol:

Out of respect for mams with bairns I don't park in these spaces, just as I don't park in disabled spaces. I have serious health problems but don't get high rate of disability living allowance for mobility so I don't qualify for a blue badge. Not too long ago I was quite ill and my sister took me to toon. As my mobility sometimes is limited she parked in a disabled space at the Toll Clock. When we came out of shops someone I know and who knows about my problems made very hurtful comments to me. The person in question has mobility problems as well and she took to going around putting stickers on folks cars when they were parked in disabled spaces. I told her if she came anywhere near my car(which was my sisters) I'd phone the police. She went away muttering. I also said in a loud enough voice that some people should not judge others so quickly.

Respect to Hellsbells. I'm with you. I'm able bodied and able to walk the car park so I do. I am disgusted, today specifically, at some of the folk up here. I went to Tesco (for all you anti-Tesco folk - whatever! it's here get over it) and all of the disabled parking spots were full. Two, I repeat (and add an underline), two had blue badges.

I stood and watched and the people who had parked there were ordinary folk carrying one or two bags or just popping in to buy a newspaper. No one had mobility issues or a disabled dependent. No doubt their justification would be that "I was only popping in for a minute" well you people are stopping disabled folk from parking and using up spaces that you don't have to use. How much longer does it take to park along the way? 30 seconds? A minute? What do you do that means a minute makes a difference?

Sort yourselves out.

And as I said, respect to Hellsbells and those who walk the walk. You want to lobby? I'm with you.

I have a baby and it is handy having the spaces at the door, but for me its more the extra room to get the doors wide open to get the baby seat in/out of the car without having to squeeze in whilst trying to avoid banging the car next to me. especially up here with the wind catching the doors and blowing them wide open if i am squeezing in

what i dont understand though at tesco is theres no dip in the kerb to get the trolley close to the car if coming out the cash exit.

if its a fine day i normally park up the back where no one will probably park at the side of the car, but if its wild i prefer the other ones so i can leave the trolley inside whilst i run to the car with the baby then i go back for my trolley

It is also possible to have a disability and be a parent, or to be the parent of a child with a disability.

The biggest problem is someone who taking a space which is near the entrance and which has extra space on either side of the car when they don't need either adaptation. It's all down to being considerate of other people's needs.

I don’t dispute that in any way “to have a disability and be a parent, or to be the parent of a child with a disability.†But they would have a blue badge and should park in a spot for blue badge holders but there is none at Tescos. There should have been Disabled parking at both sides of doors, as there should have been parking for children and family at both sides of doors. But the most I see parking in any of the bays neither have any Kids or a kids seat in the car. Or a Blue Badge on display.

I would love to know why Blue Badges. Don’t have some sort of bar code or rdf chip that can be read by Police or Traffic Wardens with a hand held reader. That would tell if the badge is legal. And the owner of a blue badge could have a chip and pin sized card they carried with them for proof of there entitlement. That might stop all the theft of Blue Badges from cars down south. A sticker that sticks to the windscreen of a car and pulls in half if removed could be issued with the ID card

A sticker that sticks to the windscreen of a car and pulls in half if removed could be issued with the ID card

That approach is fine for some things, but not for disabled parking. The reason being that whether a car is permitted to be parked in a disabled space is dependent on it having a disabled person involved in the specific use. When the car of a disabled person is being used by non-disabled people they have to be able to remove the badge, hence the current system.

Simplest solution seems to me to park a long way across the car park if you have a toddler and both walk/toddle around the edge of the car park. Both of you will then get some exercise. There will be plenty of room to get out of the car as the spaces around you will always be empty.