Disabled/Parent-child Parking issues

bexyJo

Simplest solution seems to me to park a long way across the car park if you have a toddler and both walk/toddle around the edge of the car park. Both of you will then get some exercise. There will be plenty of room to get out of the car as the spaces around you will always be empty.

Simplest perhaps but not exactly the safest giving the standard of driving in our supermarket's car parks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simplest solution seems to me to park a long way across the car park if you have a toddler and both walk/toddle around the edge of the car park. Both of you will then get some exercise. There will be plenty of room to get out of the car as the spaces around you will always be empty.

Simplest perhaps but not exactly the safest giving the standard of driving in our supermarket's car parks.

There is a pavement around the edge, but I take your point. I have seen people park on the pavement at tesco despite all of the parking places.

It's the same when it comes to the disabled badges for the disabled spaces. I mean, my sister has a disability because she isn't that used to long distances when she was little. Me and my mother get really irritated with those 'road rage numpties' who park on those spaces.

Remember folks: it's a criminal offence when it comes to parking at a space where you're not meant to. Be warned! :twisted:

and don't forget that not all disabled are in wheelchairs or are crippled. if they have a badge then they have been through health screening. now if its someone in the disabled persons household that's a different matter.

on a sepearate matter i was forced to go round a person parked at the exit of co-ops car park they were sat in there car having a good read. the joke was that there were plenty of spaces. it only takes a minutes thought and you could save a lot of hassle please think were you park.

Yeah, well common sense is after all a rarity these days. It certainly would do fit and able people some degree of good parking further away, a chance to wear of the now all too common 'Tesco belly' that a staggering amount of people seem to have up here now.

God help us if we suddenly went back in time 50 years, most would probably perish within the week from mental weakness, when all the layers of cotton wool have been peeled away, ah diddums :lol:

Remember folks: it's a criminal offence when it comes to parking at a space where you're not meant to. Be warned! :twisted:

It is not a criminal offence at all. You can be given a fine if you park in a designated disabled space without displaying a bluebadge, otherwise there is absolutely nothing that can be done - no fine and certainly no 'criminal' record.

As it stands 85% of Scotland’s parking spaces are classed as advisory meaning that there is no legal requirement for them not to be used by drivers without Blue Badge permits.

As for parking elsewhere, if you break parking laws you get a civil penalty, or as it is generally called... a parking ticket.

Hi.

If your heavily pregnant its near damned imposiible to get out of a normal space width with cars parked either side of you that couple with 2 young children as well its absolute nightmare.So often find these parent and toddler spaces used by people who have no car seats in the back and are quite capable of walking from ordinary car space.

Having said that having 6 children 2 requiring cars seats we have given up even trying to find parent spaces because they are always full ,never enough and usually by people with no car seats in.

I was at tesco last week with my 12 year old daughter.

I am a blue badge holder but when I got to tecos the bays was full.... with miss use of parking, so I parked in a parent parking not thinking I was doing anything wrong as I still had a child in the car which tescos does not stage a age.

I was rudly told by a member of staff that I was not allowed to park there as my daughter wasnt in a pram??? I asked her to see a copy of tescos rights about parking which she never showed me, I did explain about the othe bays but no it was out for me.

I phone the manager to be told his member of staff was right to say I was in the wrong which he was also told i want to see a copy of tescos parking rights?? but they still havent showen me!

I am about to write a letter to tesco complaining about his member of staff and I found her very rude and wasnt will to listen to my reason why i was parked there in the first place. When i explained about my badge it was like she just didnt care. All I wanted was £20 out the cash point so it wasnt as if I was going to be in tescos for hours!!

Trouble is there are lot of courteous disabled drivers ,but there are a few that give a bad name,

especially the ones who park in commercial street and let their passengers go into the shops while they sit in the cars ,leaving many opasserby on foot having to dodge with and without prams.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the most annoying thing, someone (fit & able) parked in a disabled space (which I have never done) or a disabled person parked in a child friendly parking slot at Tesco's.

Even worse I see people with kids who leave them in the car and go shopping whilst taking up a childs parking space!!!!

Disability is horrific but to give up a disabled place in favour of a child parking space is not acceptable when you have your own parking.

I am sure if fit and able. people with children parked in disabled places there would be an outcry

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing topic***)

What is the most annoying thing, someone (fit & able) parked in a disabled space (which I have never done) or a disabled person parked in a child friendly parking slot at Tesco's.

From your later comments I assume you mean "a disabled driver parked in a child friendly slot, when there is an available disabled slot." Either way I would consider the disabled driver's misuse much less wrong. It is important to remember that when such a situation is witnessed it is often possible/probable that when the driver parked there were no disabled places available.

I frequently witness 'blue badge' vehicles parking in the parent and child parking area when the disabled parking area has numerous free bays. I'm not sure whether this is due to the fact that I think there were originally disabled parking bays there in the days of Somerfield and beyond and folk have just got into a habit of parking there or it's just plain ignorance and giving no thought to the difficulties that parents have when having to get kids in and out of vehicles. Not easy to get your child strapped into a car safely when you're trying to avoid your car door smashing against the vehicle next to you or pushing a trolley and preventing your child from dashing across the road at the same time.

I think in most cases misuse of the parent and child parking area is lack of thought or a "couldn't care less" attitude. Misuse is not restricted to 'blue badge' vehicles but offenders come from across the wide spectrum of folk who shop at Tesco and who do not have a child in their vehicle.

It's frustrating when you see, in the parent and child parking bays, vans drivers hopping out of their vehicle or young folk departing from their souped-up sports vehicle with no children in the vehicle or by their side; persons with no children filling up their vehicle with booze; a vehicle drawing up with two adults (at a busy time of day) - one of which either saunters along to the cash machines or enters the shop.

I think just a little bit more respect and thought is needed when choosing where to park and getting rid of the lazy attitude that some folk have.

And don't get me started on folk parking for hours on end on the double yellows next to the zebra crossing!