Should Britain follow France and ban the Burka?

Well, for a start, this is the wrong place for this thread.

(*** Mod - right you are too. Moved ;) ***)

Dictating to a religion accepted throughout the world as a legitamate religion that it has to curtail it's practices through an act of law is similar to what Nazis did to the Jews last century.

I can understand that folk think that all who wear such garments are oppressed, ridiculed, part of a sub culture, weak and defenceless. But, we are still telling folk how to conduct themselves within their religion.

It is not the way of a modern cosmapolitan world.

And, the biggest worry with this sort of thread is that it soon turns into something distasteful.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Muslim, but I have read the Koran, have many Muslim friends, and am active in my university's Muslim Student Association. The question of Hijab and Burqa is extremely nuanced, and has no real answer.

The Muslim women I know were genuinely offended by Sarkozy's action. What many people don't realize is that the hijab is generally an outward sign of feminine honor--the same reason the Virgin Mary is often depicted wearing a veil or shawl. One of the most demeaning things one could do to a Muslim woman is force her to remove her hijab.

As far as Middle Eastern governments legally mandating it, I suppose it's roughly comparable to Western Indecent Exposure laws. That doesn't make it right however, and many Muslims are firm in the belief that no one should be forced to wear hijab.

The same can be applied to the burqa. Obviously, Afghanistan under the Taliban used the burqa as an instrument of oppression. That cannot be argued. If, however, one genuinely wishes to wear a burqa of her own will, and as a symbol of her faith, why should anyone stop her? What right has Sarkozy to determine the limits of someone's demonstration of faith?

If anything, to wear a burqa in the west would be an admirable testament to the wearer's faith and cultural identity.

How come Slavic women can wear shawls, but when a Muslim woman does it people think she's being oppressed?

I do not contest anyones right to express their religion or belief what I do contest is that we in the West are expected to change our culture and laws to accomodate those in the East. Do those in the East change their laws and cultures for those in the West? I think NOT!!!!

Plus with the threat of suicide bombers I totally agree with Sarcozy due to the threat of suicide bombers only NOT because I agree with removing any individuals right to express their religion or belief.

Dictating to a religion accepted throughout the world as a legitamate religion that it has to curtail it's practices through an act of law is similar to what Nazis did to the Jews last century.

Were the Jews strapping bombs to their bodies and killing innocent citizens? I think NOT!!!

Were the Jews hijacking planes and flying them into buildings? I think NOT!!!

Were the Jews anything like Afaghanistan and the organisation Al Queda who are mainly muslim? I think NOT!!!

The Jews were innocent!!! The muslim religous fanatics who spout hate and encourage war against the West are NOT!!!

So then, should we then punnish Christians for things they have done.

Wearing religious clothing does not make you a terrorist, have you not forgotten what happened in this country with religion. In Northern Ireland we tried oppression, did it work, no. It was only aceptance, forgiveness and the passion of a few individuals that started the peace process.

Attacking other creeds on the basis you want will only create a worse era with far more bloodshed. VERY VERY Short sighted my friend.

FIRSTLY.... I aint your friend! Very presumptious of you!!

Secondly if you want to lick muslim al queda ass carry on..... NOT for me tho!!! This is NOT the IRA we are dealing with here... did the IRA ever produce suicide bombers? NO!!! They were far too cowardice!!! We are dealing with die hard fanatics who think they are doing God's will whilst in fact they are children of Satan.

Thing is I have more and more friends who are choosing to cover up more and more. The greater the antimuslim feeling the more they want to show their pride. Friends I went out with in the nineties who would never have dreamed of wearing a hijab now wont leave the house without one, some even choosing to cover their face.

The thing I find most amazing is it's men who seem to find this offensive.

Can I just ask why do men find it so offensive?

Not defending forcing of women to wear the burka, we tried in the nineties to highlight the plight of women in afghanistan, but not many folk were interested before 9/11. Strange that.

In brief I don't think we should follow France.

Some very short sighted views here and frankly racist ones in my opinion. :cry: Even though it is not a racial issue, it is made one.

Talk about tarring everyone with the same brush. Terrorists use many guises to support their causes, be it protestantism, catholicism, islam, maoism, nationalism.

What your religion is (or not) more often than not now a days has nothing to do with where you live, where you are from, the colour of your skin etc.

Suicide bombing and terrorism is not a new thing. The over active media and regimes like Bush's have brought it to the forefront.

Iwth out the greed of business men and orgnisations a lot of the world trouble could be avoided. The history of the world is based on greed and the presumption that 'we' know best.

Sad :roll:

Frankly I think your comparison is remarkably inappropriate. The NSDAP oppression was on a totally different scale. I also cringe at the idea of a legitimate religion, and the notion that the religious aspect is a mitigating factor.

In my opinion both sides of this argument go too far. Banning a religious symbol being displayed publically is highly dubious, and inevitably leads to hypocrisy and mixed standards. On the other hand, the idea that just because something is religious, it can make the user exempt from prohibition for certain activities is wrong. Specifically, driving and teaching come to mind. If someone wants to wear strange complicated clothes they should be able to, but they should not expect to be able to do everything while wearing them. If somebody tried to drive about with a furry guizing suit on, would that be safe? Same thing.

I would say that shetland peat is at least partialy right I still believe the current attitude towards muslims within the UK is very similar to the attitude to Jewish people here in the UK before, during and after the second world war. And remember always Britain did not, no matter what your primary school teacher may have told you fight the WWII to save the Jews.

In Europe things really aren't any better, I remember only too well Sarkozy's part in the years of riots within the banlieues, and damage that was done in the commune that I used to live.

In brief I don't think we should follow France.

i wish you had stopped there.

Some very short sighted views here and frankly racist ones in my opinion. :cry: Even though it is not a racial issue, it is made one.

and theres the racist card

Talk about tarring everyone with the same brush. Terrorists use many guises to support their causes, be it protestantism, catholicism, islam, maoism, nationalism.

not many hook handed catholics on social support preaching about how they hate the country that supports them and everything in it, id like to see a catholic do the same in down town Islamabad and see how long it takes him to be burried to the neck.

France takes an important stand in distinguishing its residents as being primarily and above all french, not a muslim or catholic, not black or white, and not a foreign national taking advantage of the system.

Britain could do well following its example.