Should Britain follow France and ban the Burka?

Guest Anonymous

the word ban is a concearn nowadays as it does infringe on civil liberties, and in any case what did UK impose on the same folk in the persian empire days, lots o hipocracy (or how ever its spelled) goin on here. "Except some animals are more equal than others" springs to mind

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how unlink went from a burka to bondage and pain is a little worrying.

i think most people find the the burka extreme. even most muslims but using unlinks harm principle who are they hurting.

most muslims would not want to wear it. but if we start making an issue guess what will become popular.

I think it was John Mills' harm principle that the English law is based on, not mine so to speak (although I did use it).

You also find it in the way domestic violence is dealt with now. Whilst a woman may not realise she is in an abusive relationship, the Police have the power to arrest the man (or vice-versa) if they deem harm to be taking place. Likewise, some may argue that whilst the women wearing the burka may consider they are not at harm and are doing it out of their choice, some may argue to the contrary and hold the belief that they need protecting.

Guest Anonymous

doot its thier business n they are dangerous mo-fo's to be irgging, cant see the harm in letting folk be , maybe then when we're no cheesing them off so much they might no be so delighted to blow us up

With sadomasochism, it's only illegal if you are harming the person in a great way, there is a reasonably amount of leeway up until that point but those who get done for physically harming someone else during sex have almost certainly done something pretty extreme.

There is no parallel with the burqa. Some women who wear the burqa might be being oppressed, and the burqa might be in part the manifestation of that, but the burqa itself does not oppress. The act of wearing a burqa does not do a harm to anyone, at least not in any sort of appreciable level that we normally restrict freedoms with the law.

It is sensible to have procedures in situations like airports, banks etc to confirm the identity of someone wearing a burqa, but these can be culturally sensitive.

If we look at what the problem that apparently banning the burqa would address, the oppression of women in muslim communities, would this measure actually go anyway to solving that problem? If anything, truly oppressed women would just have to stay indoors all the time. And even if they didn't, the oppression would continue in other ways.

So it seems to me, some people just don't like minorities doing what they feel is stupid/morally dodgy/wrong

Guest Anonymous

its in the same catagory as taking the psis out of somebody for wearing a fair isle ganzee and toorie, its ignorant and bigotted to dictate to folk what they should wear and if the Muslim women wear this thing its surely up to them and thier way of doing things , same as theres no faults on the part of the persecuters?, old Shetland saying "lat be for lat be", nothing wrong wi dat

So minorities and their interests don't matter because they aren't the majority?

If its does not work with our society then I agree with you. Plenty of places they can peddle their dressing up, as if I decided that women should not be allowed to drive, i may be in the minority but i would not try to foist my ideas on the majority I would move to Saudia Aradia if i cared so much.

Guest Anonymous
maybe then when we're no cheesing them off so much they might no be so delighted to blow us up

not slavishly following their religion seems to cheese them off fleabee, so things will be fine once we all convert or die

like or drink ,drugs, theft, homosexual and capitalist society is brilliant too? , "lat be for lat be" nobody smooked aff a bomb wearing a burpa or whatever its called yet in UK, your making a spectacle o yoursells carry on ranting n raving about media hype

Just my opinion here, and i'm going to start by sayin i'm not racist and these are just my views...

As someone stated, a motorcylclist can't go into a bank with a helmet,

Many places will not let you in if you have a hoodie with a hood up,

Many eastern countries will throw the book at you are visiting their and

step out of line.

Yet britain, let everyone in, let all the hard working folk pay for those who can't be bothered to get a job. let traditions an beliefs of those people dictate how we treat them in our home.

You wouldn't stand for someone coming into your home, taking full advantage and living by there rules.

So why the h£ll does britain stand for it.

I say follow france's lead and ban it, and follow the lead of other coutries.

this is our home and should be respected by visitors.

Apologies if it offends but that is my views

There is a difference between hoods and helmets which are not religous atire. I don't get intimidated in Blackburn by a couple of young ladies wearing Burkas with their children. I do get worried about 2 young folk shrowding their face in the 18 degree heat with hoods and not shopping. There are differences, Hells Angels can be intimidating too.

Although you have your own opinions, you cannot cover any oppressive statement with a prior apology.

You may need to put down the tar brush and take a step back. We as a country are supposed to be the most integrated in the world. As I have said before, this does seem to be a bit of a jealousy thing. I hope when you travel you take into consideration your own thoughts and act accordingly.

I say follow france's lead and ban it, and follow the lead of other coutries.

this is our home and should be respected by visitors.

As has been pointed out above, you can't ban the burka without also banning ski-masks and full-face motorcycle helmets, or burka-wearers will simply hide their faces using a legal form of clothing. Quite why I should be prevented from wearing a ski-mask when walking the dog ( or indeed skiing ) on a cold winter morning because people like you have a problem with what a minority of Muslim females wear is beyond me.

It is ridiculous, for any government to try and make legislation on what you can or cannot wear.

There are lots of countries where personnal freedom are restricted, one example is the British man who recently got sent to 28 days jail in dubai for kissing his girlfriend in public.

We dont need anymore laws on our personnal liberty, we could in fact do with a lot less.

It should be just a matter of common sense that when you go into a bank, police station, job centre or any other public building that you must take your burka or your gimp mask off, that much should be common sense and also simple good manners.

Similarily if you go into anybodies house of worship, you take your hat or your shoes off, it is simply a polite courtesy you dont need to legislate for it.

I think UKIP making a point of the burka ban in there election manifesto was a big mistake and I didn't agree with that.

And anyway, having been through several towns and cities up and down the country in recent years, I haven't noticed burka wearing hoards terrorizing old ladies anywhere, they are as rare as hens teeth.

In the first week of April, according to the press, a young Asian woman was stabbed in the neck by her ex-boyfriend. She died. She was quite "westernised". 5 people have been arrested. She was extremely pretty, wore make-up, and wanted to be a journalist.

This tragic death occurred less than 10ft from where I used to live, in the exact spot where Asian youths would drink alcohol, deal drugs, play loud music, leave their rubbish behind, and showed no respect for those people living in the area (They did not live in the road). I hasten to add that the young woman killed was not, as far as I can recall, one who attended such goings on and was simply walking down the street on her way to a party.

Her ex-boyfriend was extremely religious.

One of my old neighbours found her slumped on the ground. She was quite petite and at first, he thought a child was lying there unconscious. In fact, her throat had been slashed.

The rumour machine has it that her ex-boyfriend didn't like her lifestyle and wanted her to be more "traditional" in dress, etc.

There are good and bad in all members of society, regardless of religious beliefs. What is tragic is that this young woman died for not being how her ex-boyfriend wanted her to be. Would a ban on the burka prevented her death? I've no idea. Perhaps this is a murder via domestic violence by a control freak who didn't like the fact he had been dumped and that she had moved on and got a new fella.

Whatever the reasons, she did not deserve to die.