Should Britain follow France and ban the Burka?

sorry for the woman's death but it has no connection with stopping people wearing there clothing of choice. how many white kids used to get high and drunk in the same area. people want the Asians to become more western and this is the result. you try and destroy there cultural control and you end up with Asian youths rebelling big time.

if the woman's ex did it then he did it because he was an abuser. not because he was religious. in fact if he was what was he doing having a girlfriend.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for the woman's death but it has no connection with stopping people wearing there clothing of choice. how many white kids used to get high and drunk in the same area. people want the Asians to become more western and this is the result. you try and destroy there cultural control and you end up with Asian youths rebelling big time.

if the woman's ex did it then he did it because he was an abuser. not because he was religious. in fact if he was what was he doing having a girlfriend.

"Stopping people wearing there clothing of choice" - He may not have liked HER choice of clothing.

"How many white kids used to get high and drunk in the same area" - Very few; it was mainly Asians. There were two gangs of drug dealers, the Asians and those of Afro-Caribbean descent and when the two clashed, it was not a pretty sight.

The murder may have been incited by a fundamental religious belief, and commited by a man who may not be too well, mentally. So, religion did play a part, though a mans obsession with it play the bigger part. Istead of finding little holes to poke the inciting finger of hate through, we should look at the root cause and how as a whole nation, with all creeds involved can we get rid of these thoughts folk keep. So how would you deal with those who would break the new law you want, and then how would you deal with the civil actions. How would you change the criminal statute books to reflect this without bein tarred a creedist? There is no way, we in this country can allow this. We are far to integrated, and yes no doubt you will quote exceptions, but me thinx you are wrong. Are there not thousands of British ex-pats in other countries doing the same. You would have to encourage them to fit into what ever country they set up a commune/community/ghetto.

You need to keep in mind that France has a bigger imigrant problem than we do, as does Italy, purly cos of logistics.

There are also gangs of all nations gathering on our streets doing stuff, but not all in the same place. Try driving around London in the evening.

• 1 month later...

Surprised to see no comment on here about the law France is passing to ban women wearing burka and other veils in public

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10611398

I think it's plain daft to ban it. I do think there should be support for women who are under pressure from where ever to wear it against their will, but, by and large in the west it seems most wear it for their own reasons.

I do think people should have to show their faces in certain situations though, as do they rest of us.

I see some one is offering to pay fines any women have to pay. Don't supose it'll be long before more start to cover up as a way to asert their right to their beliefs and individuality.

As an aside I saw too lads at Burra regatta in 'morph' suits http://www.morphsuits.com/ , I though they just looked silly but apparently they were told they couldn't row as it was disrespectful (or similar) LOL

Shuggy had an interesting point to make on this subject:

A good test of any proposed law is to ask: what happens if someone refuses to comply? Would the punishment meted out be worth it? In this case what you are talking about doing is fining women for failing to comply. And if they refuse to pay the fine, presumably a custodial sentence would be next. So you find yourself in a position where you jail women for failing to conform to a law that is supposed to be about women's freedom? It is for this reason that a burqa ban fails the test.

I'm sure I posted on a pretty busy and heated thread about this not long ago. Can't find it now though, so I assume it was something that went a bit off topic!

Quick Edit - I remember now, it was the election thread. The UKIP which was being championed at the time proposed even more radical measures than the French by wanting to ban it in private buildings as well.

As I said then, banning any item of clothing is nonsense. However, those who choose to wear them, for whatever reason, must also accept that in order to use certain facilities (banks, air travel etc) they must be prepared to remove it if requested.

^^I don't think it should be made illegal because it simply isn't practical to enforce such a law. But I do believe that it should be made clear that covering the face is not "etiquette" in this country and is not appreciated. When I am speaking to someone I prefer to be able to see their face, because I can see expressions etc., and I feel uncomfortable if the face is covered. I think it's a case of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and people living in this country should respect the general etiquette here.

people living in this country should respect the general etiquette here.

Whilst I agree with this to a point, isn't it the case that the British culture thrives on accepting and integrating with others? If nothing else, we appear to be adept at assimilating cultural artefacts, idioms, mores and linguistic elements from wherever they appear.

Whilst the French seem to be striving to preserve 'Frenchness', we should perhaps be proud of our ability to adopt and accept the ways of others. Britishness is change.

Indeed, over time, the veil could become a fashion statements in its own right.

/off to buy me a day-glo' burkah with bling, innit? etc.

^^I'm all for integration (as opposed to creating separate ghettos) and I'm all for being tolerant. But I sometimes feel that we carry this too far in this country. We should draw the line at things that run against the grain, and things that offend us or make us uncomfortable. In my view, covering the face is one of those things, and we should not be afraid to point this out to them. We are encouraged not to do things that offend others, and we should therefore be entitled to expect others to respect our etiquette and not to do things that offend us or make us feel uncomfortable.

Having said all that, bringing in a law is the wrong way to go about it.

Doesn't offend me or worry me in anyway (security seems to be an ever present argument from some) but it i have found it pretty disconcerting to be in places where the burka and niqab were being worn all around me (London) probably just due to the oddness of the situation from my perspective.

Lots of thing make me unconfortable or may even offend me it's not reason in itself to ban them. We all feel different about different things.

I really can't see why it has to be made a legal issue. There are apparently only 2000 or so in France out of somethign like 33million people. How many in Britain worn I don't know?

We do have 'rules' of etiquette but even those vary through out the country and from urban to rural areas and depend on the 'occassion'. Seems odd to ban a veil but allow other forms of 'freedom of expression' that could also hide some one's identity and gender.

But yeh, some element of common sense should be able to come in to place with regards to work places, areas of high security or other things like health, social etc. where health and safety, communication or id are essential.

To ban it on the street is out of order to me.

I certainly would not support a ban in the UK, as has been talked of in the media and whic other countries are considering.