Should Britain follow France and ban the Burka?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the security issues and this is something that can be addressed by other means, rather than an outright ban. Its a sad day when the goverment starts dictating what we all wear, what next, what we eat? Oh yeh they are already doing that!

If they have strong religious beliefs and are wearing the burka by choice, thats fair enough. I smile when I see someone in a burka as I think "Ninga" The only problem is I cant see if they smile back. Perhaps they know what I'm thinking!

Mind you I wonder how long it would be before the local constabulary stopped me, if I was walking along da street wearing a balaclava we just my eyes showing?

... it simply isn't practical to enforce such a law.

The enforcement will depend on which of the two types of law is enacted. Either way it will be a hypocritical mess.

If the law is specifically against culturally symbolic face-covering then those affected will rightly be indignant at being targeted, while other cultural symbols are permitted. On the other hand, if the law is generally against all public face-covering, the selective non-enforcement against people wearing fancy dress etc., will become apparent very quickly. Both approaches fail.

The enforcement will depend on which of the two types of law is enacted. Either way it will be a hypocritical mess.

If the law is specifically against culturally symbolic face-covering then those affected will rightly be indignant at being targeted

Not if its a Muslim man who is using his culture to pressure his wife or daughter into wearing a rig-out they don't want to wear, he won't be rightly indignant then, just indignant. And his missus and daughter will be very happy and grateful that the law exists.

@Gibber

Just curious, how would you feel if Orthodox Jews were banned from wearing their archaic garb? Your objection to the domestic pressuring in the Muslim case would surely apply to all such religions.

If people are being pressured to wear clothing because of religion, culture or gender differences that they don't want to then they should be protected, why would I want that legal protection denied to Jews?

I don't think there are many orthodox Jews in Britain who are under such pressure to dress in such an extreme manner because of cultural demands and want to be out of that situation but feel that they cannot extricate themselves from it without consequence.

There is however a significant number of Muslim women who don't want to walk around covered from head to foot in Britain but are made to, just like there are a significant number who do want to dress that way as a matter of cultural or religious identity. This law is good for the former and bad for the latter, that doesn't make it an entirely bad law.

@Gibber

Just curious, how would you feel if Orthodox Jews were banned from wearing their archaic garb? Your objection to the domestic pressuring in the Muslim case would surely apply to all such religions.

France's lower house of Parliament voted to ban the wearing of veils that cover the face in public places. People are still free to wear whatever they want as long as thier face is uncovered.

There is however a significant number of Muslim women who don't want to walk around covered from head to foot in Britain but are made to, just like there are a significant number who do want to dress that way as a matter of cultural or religious identity. This law is good for the former and bad for the latter, that doesn't make it an entirely bad law.

This is true, however as it is at the moment, in law, they have the choice. Passing such a law removes that choice and for that reason it is simply wrong.

The idiotic part is that it is directed at a specific face covering. If a law were to be tabled that banned the covering of the face of anyone, by anything, in public, that would be more resonable and remove the stigma of religious predjudice.

The issue of whether its desireable to have people go about their daily business with their faces covered isn't addressed if choice is regarded as the most important factor in deciding if the law is right or wrong.

The decency laws restrict the choice to walk around the streets in the buff, does that make them bad laws?

• 2 weeks later...