peeriebryan

How much local music should SIBC play  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How much local music should SIBC play

• They should play more
    • Fine as it is
    • They should play less
    • Not bothered

I've noticed that SIBC has 4 local artists on their playlist (according to the their website). Can't say as I've heard much local music on SIBC. Surely they should play more. The royalties generated from local radio play is one of the few revenue streams (besides live performances and CD sales) availabe to local musicians. I think Shetlanders would rather hear more home-grown music than the usual chart dross. Then again, I hardly ever listen to SIBC......Maybe that's why

I agree, there is something inherently unpleasant about SIBC, but I can't quite put my finger on it either. Maybe its the womans voice, which sounds like she can't quite be bothered. 'Sale, sale, sale....bargains, bargains, bargains' indeed.

Maybe they should get a couple of guest presenters to relieve the tedium, and actually have some programmes instead of

playing incessant chart dross

have you heard that hilarious mp3 that's been doing the rounds?
Which mp3 is that? Do you have a link for it? Is it your handy work perchance :?: :wink:

guest presenters is a top idea, i think sharon osbourne doesn't get nearly enough airtime... :roll:

jeremy clarkson or boris johnson maybe? (i'm just running through the c-list celebs who've been trotted out to present have i got news for you ) charles kennedy might be looking for a new job soon...

Which mp3 is that? Do you have a link for it?

i think this is it:

http://www.acidplanet.com/Components/Download.asp?PID=655301&T=5418

Is it your handy work perchance?

i couldn't possibly say, the author is remaining legal for nameless reasons.

:D Good stuff Distortio :D Do you, I mean whoever did it, have links to any more cut-ups? I agree that Sharon Osbourne should be on the airwaves a lot more. She's great. And her slim talented daughter. She's great too. Maybe Tara McPalmer Tompkinston. She's great too! (but I'm not sure what she actually does)

If I remember correctly, Alan McLoud and Marvin Smith had a show on Radio Shetland called "XS All Areas" a few years back. They recorded local bands (a la John Peel) and had live sessions. They released a CD of the recordings called The XS Sessions, which is still available locally, or from the Bleatbeat website.

I don't think they've been on the radio for a while, but they're still recording local music such as Ellie Mulhern, Bitumen River and Malachy Tallack (check the "downloads" section of this site. I'll submit links to some of their mp3s)

I think SIBC are missing a real opportunity. They could make the station a focal point for the Shetland community, musically and otherwise. Maybe they could have a weekly programme featuring new Shetland music, or as 'jz' suggested, live sessions (although I'm not sure if their studio could accommodate that and currently there are no 'proper' studios in Shetland). They seem to have opted for the path of least resistance though.

Radio Shetland could certainly take a more pro-active stance.........

If I remember correctly, Alan McLoud and Marvin Smith had a show on Radio Shetland called "XS All Areas" a few years back. They recorded local bands (a la John Peel) and had live sessions. They released a CD of the recordings called The XS Sessions, which is still available locally, or from the Bleatbeat website.

There was some real good shows then. Shame that theres not more Shetland based talent broadcast!!!

The microcosm that is Shetland has produced some real good bands playing real good music. Some have even grown to international status, yet we don't even celebrate this at home! ! !

Why is that??!? Is it because there are too many problems with royalties??!? I'm sure many of the bands would forfeit these to have their music out there, and to rely on boosted CD sales because of it.

Good luck with the site by the way!!

Judging by the posts on this thread, I see most people think we should have more local music featured on the radio. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a streaming audio internet radio station for a while now, but there's been too many constraints for it to be practical. The main problems were that listeners would have to tune in at a specific time (like normal radio) and the server supplying the audio would have to provide multiple simultaneous uninterrupted streams (heavy strain and expensive bandwidth).

However, Podcasting technology has solved these problems and it is now perfectly feasible to have a cheap and simple internet 'radio station' featuring Shetland music.

Is anybody out there interested in collaborating on such a project?

:D Good stuff Distortio :D Do you, I mean whoever did it, have links to any more cut-ups? I agree that Sharon Osbourne should be on the airwaves a lot more. She's great. And her slim talented daughter. She's great too. Maybe Tara McPalmer Tompkinston. She's great too! (but I'm not sure what she actually does)

there's a monkey load here:

http://home.graffiti.net/poisonpopcorn:graffiti.net/

hope that works.

the podcast thing might be a lark, i'm up for it if i can get the time.

This is all nonsense! here is a quote directly from the site of SHI.., oops I mean SIBC:

"SIBC plays new releases by local artists over 1500 times in 2005."

The grammar may well suck but the good intention is there, c'mon guys give the man a break.

AND unless some kind of partitioned broadcasting with a "Local" feature was presented, let's face it, where do you draw the line. If local bands are not making it onto national radio,could there be a reason to not broadcast them 4 times a day, 7 days a week?

I rest my case.

Guest presenters? Once again, c'mon guys. You're making a mockery of it. Obviously it would require persons with the vocal talents of Patrick Moore, or perhaps Brian Sewell. Let's see an end to these unintelligible dialects in broadcasting. "This is big brother..." Give me a break!

:wink:

If local bands are not making it onto national radio,could there be a reason to not broadcast them 4 times a day, 7 days a week?

I rest my case.

I can't figure out if you're being serious or not. It's virtually impossible for any band without the support of a large record company employing a pro record plugger to get a song onto national radio. However, many regional radio stations actively support music from their catchment areas. Take Jim Gellatly on Glasgow's 'Beat 106'. He has actively championed many unsigned local bands and is a key figure of the Glasvegas music scene. Beat 106 plays somewhere in the region of 3hrs of local music every Monday to Thursday.

SIBC playing local artists 4 times a day makes up for a tiny fraction of their output (I would do the maths, but its too early in the morning)

Since this thread began, I've asked quite a few folk if they would listen to SIBC more if they played more local music. Everybody so far has said yes :D