Covers better than the original version

EM

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

I just vomited everything I've ever eaten when I read this. Metallica are the worst band in the world, and as such, their cover is dire. Even The Shaggs could have made a better effort

:roll: Good for you.

I would also like to add RATM's covers of Maggie's Farm, The Ghost of Tom Joad & Street Fighting Man to my favourite covers list! :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a tough one: Chilli Peppers version of Stevie Wonder classic "Higher Ground". I like them both but for different reasons...is it better? Yes and no, yes- I can't decide. :wink:

Yes.

The Damned: Splendid to see them mentioned."Alone again or..." demands a mention.

The Stranglers "Walk on by" has to be the best version. Delighted to see Third Uncle mentioned too. 8)

Off hand I can't think of many. I'd suggest the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" is much better than the Nine Inch Nails original.

I think it would be fair to say that just about anything Cash covered was much better than the original, or anyone else's cover.

The City of New Orleans and (Ghost) Riders in the Sky being two that come quickly to mind, although I'd argue The Ramrods rocked up instrumental cover of the latter is the best version of all. Different horses though, as I'd also argue you can't make a fair comparison between instrumental and vocal versions.

[Edit]Clearly the (gullible and easily led?!?) masses of the record buying public thought Wet Wet Wet's cover of 'Love Is all Around' was infinitely better than the original, if sales matter that is. Personally I tocht baith wir da aisens o' it..... :lol: [/Edit]

Off hand I can't think of many. I'd suggest the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" is much better than the Nine Inch Nails original.

I think it would be fair to say that just about anything Cash covered was much better than the original, or anyone else's cover.

He covered 'I Won't Back Down' by Tom Petty on American III. Petty later said that he wished he hadn't recorded it because the Man in Black did it better. Personally I love both versions; they each have something special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I reckon "Take me out" is the kind of song which lends itself to being successfully covered in a wide variety of styles from The Scissor Sisters to Biffy Clyro.

I expect few would consider any of the various covers to be better than FF's but I think I prefer the stripped down and twangy Magic Numbers version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMA4IZ6agU

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

I just vomited everything I've ever eaten when I read this. Metallica are the worst band in the world, and as such, their cover is dire. Even The Shaggs could have made a better effort

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

I agree on that.

Also:

Presidents of the USA - More Bad Times

Eels - Get UR Freak On

Bumblefoot - Delihlia

Its no lik Metallica ir da most successful heavy metal band in da world. its no lik de invented thrash metal, if it wisna fur dim dir wid be nae slayer, nae anthrax, and an endless list o idder bands.