Afghanistan and Heroin

Military intervention in Afhanistan is med things better?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Military intervention in Afhanistan is med things better?

• Yis
    • Na
    • Dunna Keen

I haven't voted because I really don't know whether the intervention has made a difference.

I would suggest, however, that the best way to deal with the problem would be for NATO to simply buy the opium harvest from the Afghan poppy farmers. This would take it out of circulation and put money into the hands of the farmers and it would probably make the NATO presence more acceptable to the locals.

It would also starve the international criminal gangs responsible for the trade in heroin of product thus reducing the amount of heroin available on the streets.

Why do you think opium production has doubled?

I would say that NATO is quite happy for the weak minded in our society to smacked up and eventually taken out of society.

And hey AT if you think about it logically it will reduce our carbon footprint evey time one of those idiots overdose so you should be happy too.

In fact if enough junkies OD then we might not need a wind farm, pure smack on the NHS anyone?

Quite alot of the production can be used for medical use...but you would just create prescription junkies.. perhaps they should die too...sheepshagger, you still are being intimidated by things you seem to know little about.

We should perhaps kill folks who do not control their drinking and get drunk when they can...

ss you do need to get to see someone who can enlighten you on the ramifications of opiate abuse. Oh, most addicts do not die of an OD.

So, go my friend and try to find some facts to use when you post comments, at the moment thay have no substance and are just a poor attempt to alienate a part of our society that needs our help....

And what do you know about NATO's drug policies that we dont?

I would say that NATO is quite happy for the weak minded in our society to smacked up and eventually taken out of society.

In fact if enough junkies OD then we might not need a wind farm, pure smack on the NHS anyone?

Did da NHS no prescribe heroin afore THE WAR ON DRUGS?

Junkies an alcholics really does present a challenge ta da compassion o ony human being. Der a menace, so let dem dee? but der aa someen's peerie boy or lass. Nane o mine, thank God. But peety dem at haes dem.

Niver mind aa dis do gooder tosh. We MUST SUPPORT 'OUR BOYS' ida farces. sorry Forces. Even if whit dey do maks things waur fur fok in Afghanistan, an Lerweek (a faur awey plece of which we keen little an care less), an Glascau. Someen is laekly makkin a penny oot o't.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s5qIj_h_PtkC&dq=cia+drugs+1960s&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=FgxiSvfJK9vLjAfrwsH2Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11

And hey AT if you think about it logically it will reduce our carbon footprint evey time one of those idiots overdose so you should be happy too.

i hope you never have one of these idiots in your family. even a smack head is a person.

We should perhaps kill folks who do not control their drinking and get drunk when they can...

ss you do need to get to see someone who can enlighten you on the ramifications of opiate abuse. Oh, most addicts do not die of an OD.

So, go my friend and try to find some facts to use when you post comments, at the moment thay have no substance and are just a poor attempt to alienate a part of our society that needs our help....

By christ SP you really are a wet nosed liberal, with taking smack comes certain dangers one is hopeless addiction that means the addict is of no further use to man nor beast and the other is overdose. At least with an OD the rest of us don't have to fund the wasters lifestyle, wheather its by paying their dole money or being robbed by the tosser.

In this life you makes your choice and takes your chances, and I'll be damned if I am going to mollycoddle some idiot that CHOOSES to take smack.

Drug use is a thorny issue indeed, and one which I studied at leingth due to dealing with drug users as part of my past work. I personaly believe that the use of all drugs should be legalised and drigs should be able to be bought from controlled sources. Prohibition has been proved to make drugs attractive to certain people by dint of the fact that it is 'naughty' and legalisation would remove that part of the attraction. Just look what happened to CB radio. Quality is a big issue too. Most problems are caused by the variable quality and the substances with which drugs are cut. Controlled suppliers would mean that purity could be guaranteed and that addicts could be properly monitored. A huge part of the problem is that the criminal underworld that supplies their drugs is only interested in profit and if they can get the cannabis user to move up to heroin then they have a captive market. controlled supply would also eliminate that problem. The overcrowding of our prisons would also be eased, with the removal of criminality. The product of the Afghanistani farmer would be legitamised and Al Quaida would have its hold weakened. Instead of drug dealers making huge profits, the tax man could take a cut which would help pay for assisting people to kick the habit. The final part would be to provide accurate and realistic information on the consequenses of drug use so that the potential user could make a proper choice instead of knowing that the publicity was sensationalised but not knowing the truth. Quite a mouthful there, but as I say. I have studied this matter for many years.

Well lets pick your points apart one at a time

AM CB radios were illegal and very popular because they worked some one in lerwick could talk to someone else practically anywhere in Shetland.

FM CB radios were legal and a load of crapsomeone at the sooth end of Lerwick would be lucky if they could speak to someone in the crescents.

Quality does have a lot to do with it.

Most deaths in Shetland due to overdoses have been from prescribed drugs of known strength, having a supply of "clean drugs" didn't do those mugs much good did it.

Legalise canabis then the dealers won't be able to target the pot heads as they would be getting their supply from a coffee shop type environment not some dealer.

But to think it is OK to dole out heroin is f****ing crazy.

I have studied this problem for many years too due to friends getting seriously f***ed up and in some cases dying.

The differance is I am not willing to blaim everything and everybody except the damn fool taking the turd.

• 1 year later...

I have studied this problem for many years too due to friends getting seriously f***ed up and in some cases dying.

The differance is I am not willing to blaim everything and everybody except the damn fool taking the monkey.

I forgot about this one.

At least with an OD the rest of us don't have to fund the wasters lifestyle, wheather its by paying their dole money or being robbed by the tosser.

I sorta wonder what sorta studying he/she did.

It seems the opiate trade is still alive and well, which does not seem to have changed over the years.

And, even when this was written, evidence was coming from studies that the problem has to be treated.

It also seams that the occupying forces are setting up drug rehabilitation clinics since opiate abuse in Afghanistan is rising, which goes against the above comments that all addicts should die.

It is there money should be spent, stopping the drugs coming into the country.

And there is a need for programs throughout the chain and real education.

studys can be paid to come up with a pre ordered result , facts are theres scavengers putting on a smarmy face saying its super its only a nine bar for me n mates to be better citizens with , yea right , nine bars dont come alone , heroin doesnt come alone either n dont dare tell me theres a study in your favour to say these slimy degenerates are going to improve anybodys life in a tiny little island by giving the choice of the hardest most destructive reprehensible drug to make things better , all mules , dealers any snakey preditors are there to fig us all over n obliterate the same idillic community we are all supposed to love, them that wont leave n stay away really ought to be shot

Yup, and you are just saying that about studies to justify the way you think.

A bit like sheep studies you could say then, so you could say then that all studies are wrong. Is that what your study of the situation has come up with.

So, all must be shot?

What is with the name calling, who are slimy??

but

improve anybodys life in a tiny little island by giving the choice of the hardest most destructive reprehensible drug to make things better

you are right about alcohol, it does do more damage, but you are still thinking opiates do more damage.

Nooden

The problem with Afghanistan is that the locals have started to use the substance, now it is being processed there. The trouble now comes with passive smoking. Kids and other family members are being exposed, through 2nd hand smoke and residues. This has become a problem and there are more and more children becoming addicted and carrying that on through their teenage years and into adulthood. But, you and shag say they must die yet the US army think differently. Hence the study and the programs.

You could deduct that this has happened because of the Wests invasion of Afghanistan. Cheques marked shetlandpeat please.

So, the problems you think are everywhere on a small island are very, very small compared to that me thinks.

So, to tackle this, you need to control the outflow, a study says.

But as long as this country remains in the stone age about all types of drug addiction and politicians are more worried about getting and maintaining their vote and duck islands we will never solve this problem, and more folk will become twisted in their views because of friends and family being succumb though alot of that is disguised guilt because they did not know what to do due to a lack of studying of the addition topic.

If anybody wants to read up on the situation in Afghanistan & it's poppy production then I would suggest that they take the time to read " Opium Uncovering the politics of the poppy " 2010 edition, written by Pierre-Arnaud Chouvy. It's still hardback but available 2nd hand from Amazon. It explains how a war economy encourages the growth of illicit cash crops, whereas a peace-time economy can be far more successful in encouraging alternative crops. An example of this being the change in Thialand, who were once the top producers of opium & have now become one of the smallest producers. Using market gardening to boost their economy. Though if the demand is there then the poppy is grown elsewhere.

In the thousands of years that mankind has consumed substances of all kinds it has only been 1% of this time that they have been criminalised. The illeagality of these substances has only created the situation we now find ourselves in. Addiction to whatever substance should be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one, something that quite a few of our European neighbours have implemented & had much success with, and before I'm accussed of being a waster, loser, somebody that deserves to die, I would like to point out that since I left school many, many years ago I have obtained a honours degree & also have worked for the same business for over 20 years in a demanding & stressfull job. During all this time I have had an opiate habit, first illicit, now prescribed.

Anyway our troops are not in Afghanistan to destroy the poppy, it's got nothing to do with it. They are there to assist the U.S.A in their quest to get their hands on the East's oil reserves & mineral wealth.

Oh... & what about Oslama...was that not the reason they first invaded Afghanistan...? Don't hear much about that wannabe Guizer Jarl nowadays, he's probably living it up in Saudi Arabia. A undemocratic muslim state, though one in which the USA seem to get along with. I wonder why :?: :!: