Canadians at the Knab

shetlandpeat

:D Thanks for the link, Earlofzetland !

I've already found a date to add on the Arisdale chrash memorial !

By the way....Does anyone know when and by whom was the memorial on Royl Field erected ???

As far as I know it must be after May 2006, since the page has no pictue of it, and those photos were taken in May 2006...

By the way....Does anyone know when and by whom was the memorial on Royl Field erected ???

As far as I know it must be after May 2006, since the page has no pictue of it, and those photos were taken in May 2006...

The last time i was there was in September 2003 and the memorial was there then. How odd they didn't include a picture on the website. If memory serves me correctly there is something on the memorial in Peter Guys 'Walking the Coastline of Shetland: South Mainland". A watch belonging to one of the dead crewman was returned to a family member many years later or something? Definately seen it written somewhere.

A little bit more on the knab crash here http://404squadron.com/nov1941.html

^^^ A good lesson in how not to design a website there. That tartan background makes the text unreadable. ^^^^

And, back on topic, my Dad told me a story about two spitfires colliding above the Knab during VE day celebrations. Apparently the Merlin engine of one of the planes was visible at the bottom of the cliffs for a number of years. Could he be mistaking it for this crash which also happened during a display?

...my Dad told me a story about two spitfires colliding above the Knab during VE day celebrations. Apparently the Merlin engine of one of the planes was visible at the bottom of the cliffs for a number of years. Could he be mistaking it for this crash which also happened during a display?

Yes, in midder's version of the tale it was spitfires and it was also part of the post victory celebrations. Interesting that she was not alone in getting it mixed up, but because I've not encountered any evidence to support the idea of there having been two collisions there, I assume the tale has lost some accuracy. I think the earlier event was "Wings for Victory."

• 7 years later...