Council ploughs £725,000 into beleaguered Whalsay fish firm

paulb

It never fails to amaze me how this Council can plough so much money in to sinking ships

If one was to noble all but one hors at the Epsom Downs Racecourse they would still back the looser

The council motto should now be.

We always desert a ship that might just float to

To a Ship that is sinking

If someone firm outside Shetland invests in a take-over

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''sinking ship'' or not I think the council is right to help out businesses such as the Whalsay factory, given that it is the main employer on the island and as such is vital to the community. Its easy to criticise but at least the council tried to do something which would directly benefit a lot of people.

''sinking ship'' or not I think the council is right to help out businesses such as the Whalsay factory, given that it is the main employer on the island and as such is vital to the community. Its easy to criticise but at least the council tried to do something which would directly benefit a lot of people.

Whats the point of investing money if the buisness is going to fail in the end anyway, they would be better off just giving the cash to the workers to divide between themselves. The council can not keep on giving companies money to keep them afloat just because it employs people, they may as well be extra council employes!

Sorry, I did not mean that they should invest money JUST to keep jobs. The problems they are having is because of the current high price of salmon, a difficult thing for anyone to forsee.

The SIC shouldn't be criticised for something that was outwith their control, if it wasn't for the harsh winter and the destructive diseases then there probably wouldn't be problem.

I do not think the business is doomed in the long term at all. Knowing how important the factory is for the workers and having previously worked there myself when I was a student, I wish them all the best of luck whatever happens.

Guest Anonymous

in for a penny , in for a pound. At least after all outside influences have done thier best to decimate Shetland fishing n fish farming , the SIC can hold its head up n say they tried thier best

"Granted I don't have the experience of many on here in the alleged 'real world', but the time for that argument to be used against me is quickly running out, if I'm to understand the qualifications for entering the real world.

So keep using it while you can! It'll still mean nothing."

JAS, be very careful about the so called, "real world."

The real world in this instance means conforming and resigning yourself to set patterns that are acceptable to a majority. These patterns are set up out of envy.

Do not dare to be an individual or you will be classed as strange and people will think that something is wrong with you.

This real world is full of people that have lost hope, have no dreams and worry about what other people think of them.

You can however, live outside this real world. Go out and make your own mistakes.

Hope to make at least one mistake a day.

Fall in love regularly until you finally do.

Read some Vonnegut, Hesse, Bukowsky and Dylan Thomas. These are old works but still valid.

Be Kind

BY

Charles Bukowski

We are always asked

to understand the other person's

viewpoint

no matter how

out-dated

foolish or

obnoxious.

one is asked

to view