44 members have voted

1. 1. Pete Doherty?

• Yes, he's talented
    • No, he's a buffoon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but I'm pretending to be a druggie so I play crap doesn't cut the mustard with me. Even if he is as drugged up as he would like us to believe he should still be able to play. I've seen plenty of performers put on a good show when they are out of it.

I never said he was pretending - it's pretty obvious he's not. It's not just the drugs, though I doubt you have seen many serious heroin addicts put on a good performance; he is in a turd band now, he's not playing the bulk of his best songs and he worked better as a songwriter when he was with his buddy.

Andy, while his moronic behaviour has had coverage far, far beyond the point of overkill, his music has not had very much publicity. Whether or not the music is to your taste or not (the Libertines were never going to be a mass appeal band), it is worth at least acknowledging that not so long ago he was an integral part of a band which amassed probably the most emphatic following of a generation.

I know two people who were at the babyshambles and DPTs shows. They claim that the DPTs show was pretty sloppy and that the band weren't very tight, although the songs were good.

Apparently the Babyshambles show wasn't exactly tight either, although the onstage antics were seemingly quite entertaining. Pete was smoking on stage, despite several folk in the crowd shouting "it's illegal you junkie wooble!". I think they rather missed the point. Later in the set Pete launched into the crowd to punch somone who was allegedly slagging him off, cheered on by an enthusiastic crowd.

I reckon Pete's time on this earth is running out - I for one would be quite keen to see him play life before he snuffs it, even though I don't rate him that highly I imagine it's like watching sid Vicious perform. He was a completely talentless moron, but iconic nonetheless.

it is worth at least acknowledging that not so long ago he was an integral part of a band which amassed probably the most emphatic following of a generation.

You have obviously never heard of TOOL.

I'm sure there are other small bands with obsessive followings besides the Libertines, that wasn't really my point.

Guest perrie-lipper
Doherty is the modern day Sid Vicious and will unfortunatly destroy himself in his rollercoaster life. Rock and roll will have no influence on him, he would still be the same state if he wasn't in a band.

He is no different from thousands of inner city kids who seek an escape from the hell that heroin brings but he does have a talent that the tabloids prey on.

The Libertines were the first band I've paid attention to since the days of punk rock and Doherty is a talented songwriter but his time is running out I'm afraid

I have to agree, that pretty much says it all-well said.

MY workmate in the porject we work for had the honour of asessing Mr Doherty for his drug issues in Holborn police station in London on his first major bust for drug use.

Although he refused any offers of Methadone & other services (we don't apparently have a hotline to the priory!), me mate noted that he was pretty much watsted and was crapping himself at the thought that he may have to go back to prison again (he did 3 months @ Pentonville for burglary of Carl Barat's house when he got kicked out of the Libertines). As for the music? not too bad if it weren't for XFM playing it all the f**King time!!