Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi

bobbyw

Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, should he have been released?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, should he have been released?

• Yes
    • No

^^ You coud argue until the cows come home whether that is a worrying or benign statement, it can be read both ways.

Its the former if he's saying he'll never apologise for anything done in the name of the U.S. But it could as easily be taken as he said he'll never apologise for what the U.S. is, which is the latter.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ You coud argue until the cows come home whether that is a worrying or benign statement, it can be read both ways.

Its the former if he's saying he'll never apologise for anything done in the name of the U.S. But it could as easily be taken as he said he'll never apologise for what the U.S. is, which is the latter.

Either way, the "I don't care what the facts are" part is cause for concern in my eyes. And given the context, the USS Vincennes having just shot down an airliner, it would seem to be the former.

I can understand the anger of the Americans but just as we have been told a number of times we have no say in there internal affairs(when trying to prevent UK citizens being killed). they really need to understand that were a independent country and so we will not be condemned by a nation with one of the worst human rights records going. I don't like the snp but this decision was brave. i just wish the uk would have the same bottle. if the yanks try to punish us by boycotting our goods the the EU can do the same.

My cyncial opinion. I don't think it was ever a decision for Kenny McCaskil to make. I think Westminster already had said he'd be freed behind the scenes and the rest was all string pulling. I'm not 100% that Al Meghrahi did have anything to do with the bombing for me there was not enough evidence and the fact that the CIA had to pay witnesses makes it an even more unsafe conviction.

Either way, the "I don't care what the facts are" part is cause for concern in my eyes. And given the context, the USS Vincennes having just shot down an airliner, it would seem to be the former.

That part would be concerning if the facts referred to were any and all facts, however as its not specified what facts they are, the statement could as easily have been made as a response to selected and/or disputed and/or incomplete facts presented by another for the purposes of portraying a biased picture of events.

Certainly on the face of it its a statement that deserves questioning and explanation, and probably an unwise one for someone in such a position to have made. However, when you dissect and analyse it word by word, its a classic politician's statement, one that appears on the surface to take a very hard stance and say a great deal, but boils down to not really being specific about anything at all. A case of making noises that suffice for the listeners at that moment, but leaving a back door wide open that they can vanish through like they never said it.

Until I'm party to the dialogue that occured in the minute or so preceding that statement so that it can be judged fully in context, I'm leaving the jury out on just how bad, or otherwise it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655#US_government_accounts

The event triggered an intense international controversy, with Iran condemning the US attack as a "barbaric act." In mid-July 1988, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Velayati asked the United Nations Security Council to condemn the United States saying the US attack "could not have been a mistake" and was a "criminal act," an "atrocity" and a "massacre." George H. W. Bush, at the time Vice President in the Reagan Administration, defended his country at the United Nations by arguing that the US attack had been a wartime incident and that the crew of the Vincennes had acted appropriately to the situation at the time; in August 1988 Bush said of the incident:

"I'll never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what the facts are.

When questioned in a 2000 BBC documentary, the US government stated in a written answer that they believed the incident may have been caused by a simultaneous psychological condition amongst the 18 bridge crew of the Vincennes called 'scenario fulfillment', which is said to occur when persons are under pressure. In such a situation, the men will carry out a training scenario, believing it to be reality while ignoring sensory information that contradicts the scenario. In the case of this incident, the scenario was an attack by a lone military aircraft.

The United States government issued notes of regret for the loss of human lives and in 1996 paid reparations to settle a suit brought in the International Court of Justice with respect to the incident; they have however never admitted wrongdoing, nor apologised for the incident.

Bush used the phrase frequently during the 1988 campaign

Megrahi has been the scapegoat for the Lockerbie Bombing for years. It is good he has been released and Saltires were flying in Libya.

Now the world can see there is a Scotland... Not the United Kindom classed as England!!

We in Scotland can make judgements too!!

It must of been a laugh for Kenny getting a letter from the head of the FBI condemning his actions!!

The funniest thing is.... regardless of warfare...invading countries..

Kenny has shafted America.. Who else has done this apart from Bin Laden!!

Kenny... you have well deserved your Pension from the Scottish Parliament. You are a true Scot and have took the flack for all the deals that you can't talk about going on behind your back!! The British Government should be ashamed making you the scapegoat!!

Good luck Kenny..

To those who wish to bring Christianity into this, to use religion as an excuse for the contemptible behavior and actions of the Scottish and British governments, perhaps you are forgetting something about our great country that makes it inherently different from your form of government, where you do not have separation of Church and State.

America is a secular nation.

The irony is astounding

I don't believe politicians act compassionately.

I think Kenny has acted politically, and he'll also come out of this looking weak and so will Scotland as a whole.

The silence from Gordon Brown is deafening. He doesn't come out of this well, but nothing new in that.

Libya comes out of it worst, but then global public image has never been that high up their list of priorities.

Whether Megrahi was guilty or not, this was state sanctioned terrorism by Libya. It should've been Gaddafi who was tried.

It would be less ironic if he had said secular government rather than country. There is debate in the US about whether the 'under god' bit is unconstitutional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_Grove_Unified_School_District_v._Newdow

I'd rather have a law separating church and state with flaws like that than no law at all which means Scotland's primary kids are brainwashed into believing in the baby Jebus and his dad or made to stand in the corridor if their parents object.

If this guy had cancer when he did the bombing would he have been sent straight home after trial on compassionate grounds?