Babies Up/ Immigration Down

Talpa

Baby Boom is now a bigger contributor to population growth than immigration.... does that mean everyone who is anti-immigration will now be anti-reproduction?

How much are all those babies going to cost in terms of education/ health etc etc?!!!????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/27/population-growth-uk-birth-rate-immigration

Baby Boom is now a bigger contributor to population growth than immigration.... does that mean everyone who is anti-immigration will now be anti-reproduction?

How much are all those babies going to cost in terms of education/ health etc etc?!!!????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/27/population-growth-uk-birth-rate-immigration

a lot less than we are going to cost them. We need more births up here just to stay still and not depopulate.

We need more births up here just to stay still and not depopulate.

I agree, and likewise we need more people moving here from other places. But my question is whether this makes many anti-immigration arguments, across the UK, flawed? Or at least means that those making them have to accept that logically they now need be equally anti-baby booms?

I'm not anti-baby booms (short term burden, long term beneficial?) But for the anti-immigration camp the implications of this inconvenient news are that they should now be campaigning to curb reproduction.

no moe baby booms please!! everyone seems to have one...new must have fashion item?!

Na, they just after the £250 the Government gives them for the kid's trust fund so they can get a huge massive hi-fi with 700 watts per channel speakers when they reach 18 ... :wink:

^ Everyone who has had a baby since 2006 (I think) gets £250 to put in a trust fund for the child to claim when they become of age. It is not income tested, it doesn't matter if the child is born into a family of well-paid doctors or a couple of unemployed chavs, the money is given to the parents for the child. It's not part of the "benefits" system, as far as I am aware.

^ Everyone who has had a baby since 2006 (I think) gets £250 to put in a trust fund for the child to claim when they become of age. It is not income tested, it doesn't matter if the child is born into a family of well-paid doctors or a couple of unemployed chavs, the money is given to the parents for the child. It's not part of the "benefits" system, as far as I am aware.

Well, it is a benefit paid by the Government, as is Child Benefit/Child Tax Credit. Whether means tested or not, it is a benefit, albeit not in the same vein as Income Support, etc.

Personally, I don't like the idea of giving £250 to every person who decides to have a kid. That said, we are long way behind some other countries in Europe - I was told that you get the equivalent of £1,000 in Belgium when child is born!

Regarding the Child Trust fund. Yes it sounds very good that each child born gets £250 after their birth put into this trust fund and parents can add to it over the years.

Your child isn't getting £250 as they rip you off with interest added. And take this off over the years.

If you don't add to the fund.. When your child reaches adulthood.. There will be nothing left.

As they have reclaimed it all via the interest.

It is a joke.

• 4 months later...

Just stumbled across this thread.

Isn't every child in Britain born with a debt of £17,000 (*cough* if the tories are to be believed) due to Gordon Brown's incessant borrowing? If this is the case then the paltry sum of £250 seems like a bit of a slap in the face, no?

spelling