Specsavers?

sleepychef

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I would not go near them again, having bought the most expensive frames from their display, just a year ago. While on holiday abroad, they fell onto a carpeted floor and came sindry in two, and there was a chip out of each lens. Specsavers were totally disinterested. Holiday insurance will replace lost specs, but do not cover repair. Grrrrrr....

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with the above two posts. I think now they have there feet under the table they are beginning to milk things.

I first tried them around 6 or 7 years ago and their service was great and the prices for frames and lenses were significantly cheaper than Millers and Kelly's.

I paid nearly £370 for a set of glasses in the summer and another set free, now I know some of you will say I received 2 sets for that price but in reality the 2nd set of frames are a lot cheaper(or should be) plus thats nearly £120 dearer than the last 2 frames I received a couple of years ago.

Anyway I wasn't happy with my goggles after a few months so I decided to get another set of frames but thought I would try Kellys so I went in there with the prescription found a set of frames and got my lenses made up and shaved down in a few days for £200.

Just in case, if you go to any of the opticians in town you can take your Specsavers subscription with you but it won't be any use to you as they don't fill in all the boxes of info that are required for you to go to another optician, you have to phone them direct to post out your full subscription which takes days!!!! Cheeky *****.

Cheers

try www.selectspecs.com

scan a copy of your perscription and email it with your order, takes about 2 weeks

I'm on my 3rd pair of glasses with these(i tend to break glasses quite a lot) and they are no worse/better than a pair of £130 ones from specsavers but these cost me £23 inc postage

they do sell expensive ones as well so you need to poke around the site

They also have a value range for £8 but they don t come with the thin and light lenses

these are mine: http://www.selectspecs.com/Glasses/Savannah/Gardenia/ss6.32.html

• 2 years later...
I hear specsavers have bought clives.

I wonder how this will effect the local optitians

Well that is up to them. Specsavers will offer a service that the local opticians can match or beat or alternatively the locals can just roll over and die. Their choice.

Well that is up to them. Specsavers will offer a service that the local opticians can match or beat or alternatively the locals can just roll over and die. Their choice.

"Up to them"?? Don't be daft. No independent optician can compete with Specsavers - they're a huge national chain with hundreds of outlets. They have enough buying power to be able to squeeze their suppliers for better prices and undercut smaller opticians by offering prices they literally can't match and still make any profit.

"Up to them"?? Don't be daft. No independent optician can compete with Specsavers - they're a huge national chain with hundreds of outlets. They have enough buying power to be able to squeeze their suppliers for better prices and undercut smaller opticians by offering prices they literally can't match and still make any profit.

CORRECT! Can't understand how people don't see through that is basic common sense.

It'll be so much easier/practical for people too go to Specsavers now that they have a base here permanently. Obviously its people's choice to go go where they wish but I guarantee theat 1 or maybe even both local opticians will close down in the next 2 year.

If you can't afford a pair of glasses over £100 then Specsavers are for you. Speaking as someone who has been meaning to get a new pair of specs for a while, I have 'window shopped'. Now those available from the existing street-based opticians appeared to be within the higher price brackets, unlike Specsavers which are mainly at the lower to middle end of the market. The range of frames offered appeared different to those offered at Specsavers.

Specsavers elsewhere in the UK tend to offer a 'speedy' service (usually within an hour or three hours), as do others such as Vision Express. Unlike Vision Express who can provide a pair of specs that are fit for purpose, Specsavers appear somewhat lacking in this department - marvellous if you want return visits to have them adjusted time and time again, or are happy to receive a pair with scratches right in your line of vision, etc.

Then there's the old internet. Some people may already go to the existing street-based opticians, get their 'script and then buy their specs online.

It all boils down to choice and whether you want a low to middle price frame or a quality product. Tis a bit like saying that a high end furniture store would close just because Ikea opened up around the corner. Time will tell.

Guest CyprusPluto

I for one am pleased. I need new specs, but can't afford the opticians prices

I tend to agree with Justme about "it's up to them". Yes they can't compete on price, but service is also important and perhaps they will now have to offer a wider range of spectacles

Not sure what shetland_boys means by it being ironic. Why?