Specsavers?

sleepychef

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand the criticism of Specsavers coming to town by some here. Are you saying that the people living here shouldn't have the chance to buy cheaply as those down south are able to do? If so, that is plainly a case of sticking one's head into the sand.

The internet is out there and many thousands of folks use the facility of buying from glassesdirect.com and similar other online retailers. Some of those living here, who are currently buying online, may now switch to Specsavers instead. Don't forget that Specsavers will be recruiting some local satff for their new store so that is a plus also.

Guest CyprusPluto

Other than food from Tescos and the very rare other purchase, I buy most of my stuff online.

There are three reasons for this:-

1) There is very little choice of items in Shetland

2) When you do ask them to order anything for you that isn't in stock, you never hear from them again

3) Prices for lower

Franchises might not be the ideal for an attractive High Street, but their range is superior and the pricing significantly better. During these times of hardship for most, the latter is absolutely crucial

I hear specsavers have bought clives.

I wonder how this will effect the local optitians

Well that is up to them. Specsavers will offer a service that the local opticians can match or beat or alternatively the locals can just roll over and die. Their choice.

"Up to them"?? Don't be daft. No independent optician can compete with Specsavers - they're a huge national chain with hundreds of outlets. They have enough buying power to be able to squeeze their suppliers for better prices and undercut smaller opticians by offering prices they literally can't match and still make any profit.

But of course they can compete. Not on price at the bottom end of the scale but as others have said Specsavers may not be so competitive for up market specs. And there is service. I have been using a Shetland optician for some years despite Specsavers coming to Sound Hall and basically I do kind of trust the people I am dealing with. This is something Specsavers will have to overcome.

Of course the other option is for one of the locals to sell to another national chain to become more competitive.

I will continue to use a Shetland optician for my contacts, I will continue to use a south optician for my glasses. I would not use specsavers again if you paid me. This is from previous experiences south, including their treatment of customers according to their postcode.

I object to paying for child's glasses, my south optician does free glasses for under 16's (not the nasty NHS ones we had when I was a kid - which you still had to pay towards up here) & insurance for peace of mind, been going there since the child was 2 (no nasty eye drops either).

I like to be able to pick up contacts when I want them, not have a stock pile building up, so I use the Lerwick optician that was willing to help when my supply ran out, still return yearly and pay for the extra eye test. Was so shocked when the same optician discovered my father's glaucoma, which had been unnoticed by the other street optician & specsavers (at the sound hall) they will continue to have my custom for as long as I am in residence in Shetland and I hope others will go for quality, rather than perceived savings. Your sight is something you can't put a value on as my father is currently finding out in Hospital in Aberdeen.

Why is it that every time you visit the optician & get a new prescription you have to buy new frames?

If a window in the house get broken it’s a new bit of glass not a new window.

Like most people who wear spectacles, I now have several pairs with perfectly good frames but I always have to buy new frames, when all that is required is the new lens to be fitted into the old frame. Of course the new lens has to fit but if one attends the same optician this should not be a big problem.

Possibly someone could open up a used frame shop & fit new lens at a reasonable price.

There certainly cannot be a shortage of used frames !

Well possibly not, would anyone like to wear someone elses frames!--- But then again it’s not like false teeth.

The excuse used is that the old frames aren't covered by their warranty, so if the lenses fall out it's your problem - but that is never a choice offered. So basically they are saying that the frames they sold you previously are suddenly no good! Bit of a cynical sales ploy really - especially as old frames are so much in demand for recycling to places like India & Africa.

The reason given to me by one of the local opticians was that the plastic material used in the frames only has a 'shelf-life' of approximately two years. I've been using the same frames now for 6 years and when I took them in for adjusting the plastic snapped because of its age. I too need new glasses but there always seems to be something more important to spend that £85 on (the cost of a basic set of specs). I am of two minds, I feel very loyal towards my opticians but I am very tempted by Specsavers prices. :?

the daughter had to wait over a month for an eye test. if specsave can make a profit in shetland good for them.

jewsons have taken over the SBC is that good or bad. if the service is good does it really matter were there head office is. loyalty is two way do we get theres.

The more good shops that come here the better in my book. wheather the profit coes to fat cats south or just one fat cat here, makes no odds as long as they will be offering good servive prices and jobs then its all good. more the merrier. the good thing is i/we will possibly buy more localy in the new shops than waite untill we go south on holiday.