Ebay & Paypal

Guest Anonymous

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is as good a place as any to post this. An absolute gem of a scam attempt taken from The Register today...

Here's a cautionary tale for all those eBayers among you: if a Nigerian contacts you claiming to have stumped up for a successful auction bid and demands that you ship goods forthwith to Lagos, you'd better jump to it.

Otherwise, you might end up on the Metropolitan Police's "most wanted fugitives of the week" list, with your name shamefully plastered across the UK press. Our correspondent explains:

Just thought I had to share this one with you - a scammer won an ebay auction and then sent me a fake paypal receipt to try and get me to send the goods to Nigeria; I ignored them, obviously...but now they've got the police onto me!

Date: May 25, 2006 12:53 PM

Subject: WARNING..................Metropolitian Police ..............(uk)

To: xxxx@gmail

This is to inform you Mr XXXX that we have received a complaint in conjuction with PayPal about a payment made for an item bought from you recently, We received the complaint that the payment has since been approved and that you haven't taken the neccessary step which you are suppose to take in other for the payment to be transferred to you.

We are informed that you are suppose to make the shippment of the item to the buyer and send the tracking number to the payment company(PayPal) for shippment verification which is secure for interest of both the seller and the buyer from been scammed.

All your information has been forwarded to us and we have already contacted the nearest Metropolitian Police office nearer to your address about your case and they will immediately start the investigation.They may come to your home for more information about what happened and they may also require you to follow them to the station for more query.We have also forwarded your full contact information to the IFCC {Mr XXXX, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom} which you sent to the buyer for the payment to Internet Fraud Complaint Center(IFCC) about this case.

According to (Section 1001, Title 18, U.K. Code) of the criminal law quote,which says that and i quote "Unshipped paid merchandise must be sent to a six month Imprisonment".

So we implore you to go and make the shippment immediately and send the tracking number to the payment company(PayPal) which is safe and secure for making and receiving payment worldwide.We are assuring you that you are 100% safe with the payment and we will want you to go and make the shipment.Make sure you send the copy of the Royalmail tracking number to us immediately the shippment is made in other for us to cancel the complaint leveled on you.

Here is the shipping infomation which you are to ship the item to,

MR IBAJESOMO

UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS

DEPARMENT OF PHILOSOPHY

AKOKA

YABA

LAGOS

NIGERIA

Note:88

If the shippment is not made in the next 72hrs of this message to you,we will immediately order your case permanent for proper investigation and immediately forward your full contact address to the press for publish.You are already among the Metropolitian Police most wanted Fugitives of this week for quick investigation and execution.But the only solution to remove you from the 10 most wanted fugitives is to follow the steps given to you and we assure you that you wont have any regret in making the shippment.

We hope to hear from you immediately you see this message for quick processing of your case or you will be immediately be prosecuted.We thank you for your cooperation

Thanks

The Metropolitian Police can be contacted twenty-four hours a day, every day. Here's how:

105 Reid Promenade, Joondalup,

United Kingdom

http://www.theregister.com/2006/06/09/police_ebayer/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Just a word of warning about ebay.

I haven't shopped with them for about 6 months, and as a result they sent me a coupon, trying to entice me back, which offered me £5.00 off shipping on any order over £10.00, providing I paid vie paypal.

As there were a couple of CD's I had been wanting to buy I went ahead and ordered them for $22.30 plus shipping of $11.99.

No problem with qualifying value, but when I proceeded to pay through paypal and got to the redeem coupon bit, I hit a brick wall. It said there was a temporary problem, try back later.

Well I tried every waking hour for 2 days until the end time of the coupon but to no avail. So I had to pay full shipping price.

Pissed Off or What !!!

Anyhow, just don't trust an ebay coupon if you get one, because by the time you realise it is a rip off, you have already committed to buying.

Great scam.....

PS. Ebay & Paypal have still not replied to my questions regarding this. (DA BASTA**S)

• 3 months later...

One of the funniest things that I have read in a while: -

What kind of idiot thinks that paypal is anything but a self-propagating scam? Paypal is (owned by, operated by) ebay. Ebay is a den of thieves operated by and for a den of thieves.

Frankly, I can't believe that there's anyone left on this planet that believes the whole ebay/paypal "buyer protection" sprootle. It doesn't work, it has NEVER worked! There are literally DOZENS of 'paypalsucks.com' type web sites spelling out in gory and graphic detail exactly what a total rort paypal is. There are a similar range of web sites warning punters of the dangers of falling sucker to ebay's marketing sprootle about "safety" and "security" and "protection".

READ MY LIPS: The only thing eBay protects is it's PROFITS. They really couldn't give a flying fire-truck if you got scammed seven times last week, and they certainly couldn't be bothered doing anything other than cutting/pasting the fine print that gets them off the hook for all conceivable liability wrt their "buyer protection" racket!!

About a week ago I suggested that maybe it's ok to allow Nigerian advance-fee-fraud scams to continue on the basis that they're pretty much a tax on stupidity. You've really got to be quite the moron to fall for that turd. I'm thinking that it's pretty much the same with ebay/paypal. As long as stupid people are getting scammed on ebay/paypal, it's keeping the stupid people in one central and easy-to-manage group.

Let ebay/paypal carry on I say - it's just another tax on stupidity.

It came from: -

http://digg.com/security/PayPal:_Not_as_safe_as_you_think_

• 7 months later...

Got ripped of with a pile of pirate DVDs, when I left negative feedback on the transaction they simply did the same on my feedback though they got the cash, more than they deserve. With my shining feedback stained for no reason and my faith in E-Bay shot, I haven't used it since.

The least they could do is make the sellers address available so I'd know where to go and petrol bomb.

Got ripped of with a pile of pirate DVDs, when I left negative feedback on the transaction they simply did the same on my feedback though they got the cash, more than they deserve. With my shining feedback stained for no reason and my faith in E-Bay shot, I haven't used it since.

The least they could do is make the sellers address available so I'd know where to go and petrol bomb.

Well perhaps a petrol bomb is not the answer. Police, Trading Standards and the copyright protection people might be. Selling pirate DVDs is a crime and although someone might innocently be selling one bought at a car boot sale selling a pile of them is not innocent.

My personal rules for buying from e-bay are simple. Read the description of anything twice........sometimes looking for what is not written as much as for what is. Check feedback but also remember there are bad customers out there as well as bad sellers. And never spend money I cannot afford to lose.

They do, you can request the registered contact details of anyone you've been involved in a transaction with. Of course with scammers such contact details may well be essentially worthless, a rented mailbox or such. But if you can prove the details as worthless to ebay, they will ban the user and flag up any contact details, C/Cards. Bank Accounts etc associated with that account, making it very difficult for a scammer to use any of them on ebay again.

Regarding the negative feedback - complain to eBay. You should get it overturned.

I agree with what have been said here by others. Report them to Trading Standards and whoever covers DVD piracy.

Alternatively tell them that you are going to the small claims court. You ruin their credit score that way!!

Good advice from others. Here's a bit more.

If you paid using PayPay, open a dispute with them claiming 'Seriously Not As Described'. Normally, to win the dispute, you would have to return the goods (at your expense) via a singed for and trackable means but, if you also contact Trading Standards, they will give you a case number(?) and you can quote this in the PayPal dispute. Dead cert to win it and get all your money back.

TS will also investigate your seller and, if he/she makes a habit of selling fakes, will take further action.

As for feedback. Ebay will only remove it under certain circumstances. Best is to leave a calm and factual follow up. Anyone who is interested will soon figure out who was right..

Feedback is like virginity. It only takes one wooble....

Don't give up on Ebay. I've bought and sold quite a few things with no problems.

Just be careful and, as suggested earlier, read everything twice.

Make sure you understand exactly what is on offer.

Don't get into 'bidding wars'.

Check the sellers history as thoroughly as Ebay allow.

Check the other bidders history as well. (to avoid 'shilled' auctions)

Bid very late and bid the maximum (including p&p) that you are prepared to pay.

If you paid using PayPay, open a dispute with them claiming 'Seriously Not As Described'. Normally, to win the dispute, you would have to return the goods (at your expense) via a singed for and trackable means....

Just adding a snippet. PayPal's T&C's actually state that you "may have to return the item(s)". In practice I don't know how often they insist you do, as luckily, despite being on ebay since '00 both as a buyer and seller I've rarely had to resort to the process.

The most recent occasion I did have to was in March when I bought a £55.00 job lot of what was listed as genuine OEM consumables, that turned out to actually be almost worthless generics when they were delivered. The seller wouldn't play ball with either a sizeable price reduction or to provide a full refund if I returned the items, so it went to PayPal ajudication. PayPal found in my favour, refunded my account in full, and not one mention was made of what was to become of the items either at the time or at any time since.

I have only had one bad experience.

I sniped it right at the end and I think that the seller was peeved with how cheap I was getting it. It took 3 weeks to get him to post it despite have paid within minutes f the auction. I paid for Special Delivery and he sent it normal delivery with too little postage. I had to pay to get it from the Post Office so I asked him for a postage refund. He refused so I negged him. In retaliation he negged me back. Dick :evil:

Not everyone is a Dick though. I have just got a fantastic deal from someone. I was about to buy something in the UK for £60. I have managed to get it from a seller in Poland for 10 Euros - zult 8)

BigMouth wrote

I sniped it right at the end and I think that the seller was peeved with how cheap I was getting it.

All e-bay sellers should be prepared to sell for the lowest price that can be bid which is whatever they choose as the starting bid or alternatively they should set a reserve price. Perhaps e-bay should make things a bit clearer to sellers reminding them that they agree to sell at the highest bid and if that is 99p then bad luck.

• 2 months later...

My Advice is ditch ebay, I have and use ebid instead they don't charge to list and only charge 3% of final selling price if sold which is ideal for my dvds I am selling. I know 3% could be a lot if selling a large item in this case chose a different listing option.

• 8 months later...

I bought a set of hair straighteners for the better half, they arrived and were faulty, tried to contact the seller who was no longer a registered user after only a couple of weeks being registered. Paypal gave me a full refund without any hassle. I use ebay the whole time. and that's the only problem I've had and was resolved very quickly. Look there before buying anything, was ripped of in Lerwick buying a new sump for my car, £86 plus VAT, later found on ebay £36 plus £12 next day delivery. wasn't the happiest bunny i must say :cry: