Pet insurance

We went with Petplan for our two labs. Expensive premiums admittedly, but cover extends to virtually every eventuality.

Both had cause for x-ray's, overnight stays in vets, etc.... Had we to pick up the bill, it would have cost more than the insurance paid to date.

Insurance is well worth it, but do study the small print to avoid expensive shocks later on.

• 4 months later...
any updates on recent pet insurance? Im about to look into getting our other puppy on the insurance now that shes bigger....and a jumper....little scamp

Get a quote or two, then put the amount of money you would have spent into a deposit account every year until the dog dies. You might be glad you didn't buy insurance, if something does happen your dog they will try to wriggle out of paying anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with petplan. Not the cheapest for premiums, but are one of the best for cover I've found. We've been with them for a good while with the other pets when I was back sooth and they've paid for years of treatment for cats with liver/kidney problems, cat-scans for the dog, total joint restructuring for our puppy and all the treatment for the diabetic chihuahua, plus for a dermatologist to deal with the cat that was allergic to everything (we can sure pick 'em when it comes to animals in our household).

I'd rather pay out a bit more now and know that my little fella is going to get absolutely all the treatment he needs no matter what goes wrong with him than run the risk of having to have him put to sleep because I can't afford to get him treated any more.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have PetPlan, on supercat plan, but they wanted about £24 a month which was shocking, plus changed what I had to pay if I claimed so I had to pay an excess plus a percentage, just because he was over 10 or something... couldn't pay that.

So I changed to Greenbee http://www.greenbee.com/pet-insurance. Maybe not the cheapest compared to some but I wanted to make sure he had enough cover. When I told them I had moved here, it knocked £5 off the premium each month :D

I don't think it's the 'one-offs' people worry about. It's more like what happens if he/she gets a long term illness at age 2, and requires £4000 a year in medicines, to be ok. Then you're glad you took out insurance, rather than having to put the pet to sleep because you can't afford it.