37 hour week?

Zog

I started work at 0730am and worked through to my finishing time.

I went for a pint, as is my wont, when I finished. The Marlex filled up with SIC employees drinking to the end of the 36 hour week.

OMG! they were going to have to work until 1700hrs on a Friday.

A whole 37 hours, what they are payed for as a basic working week.

I found this obscene. Who ever thought up the idea of the celebration ought to be held to account.

Over all the council employees and for as many years as it has been happening just exactly how much has this cost the community?

Poets day has cost the local taxpayer millions.

I would have thought the decent thing to do for the last week was to crawl away home and hide.

Shame on you all. I hope the taxman catches you all for unearned income.

They worked a 34hr week but got paid for a 37hr week, no idea how this came to be in the first place as it was allways odd. They should have allways just been apid for the hrs they actually did.

The top people in the Council were not subject to single status so they will still just work a 34hr week and get paid for 37hrs, so they will still be getting home at 4pm fridays!

I do more tham my 37 hours for my employer, I can understand folk thinking that there is a bit of waste. But there are folk who do more than their bit. And others would not always make it easier.

We do end our working week at 3pm on Fridays....official..

I work exceptionaly hard for my wages. For the whole day.

I started work at 0730am and worked through to my finishing time.

I went for a pint, as is my wont, when I finished. The Marlex filled up with SIC employees drinking to the end of the 36 hour week.

OMG! they were going to have to work until 1700hrs on a Friday.

A whole 37 hours, what they are payed for as a basic working week.

I found this obscene. Who ever thought up the idea of the celebration ought to be held to account.

Over all the council employees and for as many years as it has been happening just exactly how much has this cost the community?

Poets day has cost the local taxpayer millions.

I would have thought the decent thing to do for the last week was to crawl away home and hide.

Shame on you all. I hope the taxman catches you all for unearned income.

Aww, have you had a bad day then??

I can think of many things to sound off at the council about, but the fact that some of it's employees are marking the end of an era from which they benefited (but did not create) would sure as hell not make the list!

Shame on them for what exactly?? For working per the terms of their contract?? It's an outrage!!

As far as the taxman goes - maybe they should all get a refund of the tax and NI paid on this income, seeing as how they didn't earn it - surely tax and NI are supposed to be charged on earnings...

I work for SIC . When post was first created it was for 23 hours a week . With single status I was told I could continue on that hours or increase to 25 and a half which I opted for . Meaning more pay . I already worked on average 2 to 3 hours a week without pay so now I am getting paid for what I did for free ! :D :D :D

Funny how the public sector always work less, get paid more, have the best job security, and much better pensions. I have a good mind to jump on this gravy train myself. Its no wonder why so many of the top brass are in favour of the wind farm revenues, to keep the whole elephantine barge of wastefulness afloat.

dunno where you get the paid more bit...

Do you have a comparable list....

I do about 5 hours without pay every week or so..

I do work week ends and silly am times...

When I worked in the private side doing this same job, I took home on basic about 1400 pounds per month, now, considerably less, cos, I dont have to do so many hours...y should folk have to work all hours to earn a reasonable wage? You should also realise that councils have a legal duty of care towards their employees, sadly in the private sector that can be sometimes ommited. Quite often....

So, before you tar all with the same brush you may want to let us know exactly what sector you are poking at...

I do look at pay, top salary can be 400,000 pounds, to run an organisation which employs over 30,000 folk, 8,000 vehicles, hundreds of thousands of customers, hundreds of millions in turnover..and the resposibility of making it run...now, I dont know one offa the top of my head, but do you think tho you may attract the best person for the job on the same money in the private sector?

Oh, yes, we have also been told our sector is up for PFI.

So, I have a job till 2012...how secure is that?

My partner works for a council. with a 37 hour contract, she leaves the house at 7am, gets back at 7pm, spends an hour traveling and half hour for lunch, 5 days a week and works at home for 3 or 4 hours at week end.

You may need to check facts before spouting stuff you may know a little about, but not enough to speak with authority...

thanx for reading.

I'm not personally having a go at council workers, I cant blame them, its a great career, thats why its so popular. I'm just making observations. If your last job was so much better, why work for the council? As far as I can see, the main + points are, less hours, less workload, cast iron pension, an easier ride, excellent job security. How many actually ever get paid off for poor performance? not many. All round good deal.

".y should folk have to work all hours to earn a reasonable wage?"

Sadly if everyone worked part time, not enough would get done, the place would grind to a halt, thats why in the real world, people doing productive jobs have to put in the hours.

For an easy/r life, these are the options,

go on benefits, cash poor but extremely time rich.

work for the state, decent pay, less hours, good perks.

self employed, come and go as you like.

I did not say my last job was better....it was worse, forced to work overtime, under obligation to work every week end, no sick pay, 20 days holiday, no training unless paid for by yourself..and a huge amount of stress, lining the pocket of another indevidual..no comasionate leave either...not really a good thing..

Working for the local authority is not an "easy ride".

But I dont work part time, so, I do not understand your point there...folk get to see their kids, get to relax and have the mandatory 11 hours between shifts...because of who they are and what they represent, councils have to follow the laws as best as they can, again, privete companies can ommit to do this, as described in the CCTV thread yet still charge..There will always be mistakes, cos humans are involved...

But what do you think the other ways of doing it are and how could they be inroduced without any public complaint, hands are tied some what..

I always complete the task given to me for the day, if not more, I make a fair amount of profit for my department, and again, it is through hard work...

You will find that there are many, many folk who work more that their alloted hours....

You are comparing a public service to private employers, tis very hard to do...

Again, because I work for the council, my job is now under PFI scutiny and I will probably loose my job by 2012. No guarentees there, all to save the tax pound...

Again pay

The results of the 2008 ASHE show that median weekly pay for full-time employees in the UK grew by 4.6 per cent in the year to April 2008 to reach £479. Median earnings of full-time male employees was £521 per week in April 2008; for women the median was £412.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

I get no where near that amount....

There is no cast iron pension...no such thing I am afraid....

I have no guarantee I will get my pension, and no one can prove otherwise really..until the day comes when I do or don't get it...

What other employee do you find dealing with the scum, the messed up, the needy, auld folk who cannot look efter them selves, the mentally ill, the drug addicts, rehabilitation, the homeless, the disabled, the families of those listed and dangerous of our society, Police, NHS, Fire and your local/county council...all publicly funded.

But, here folk can just rubbish what they like cos, no one is really gonna call them to account..but what they do is make other folks jobs harder, cos not only do I have to do my job, I now have to justify it to folk, not in my job description that...