Fetlar breakwater

Caeser

Anyone know why we are building a new pier and breakwater at Fetlar?

I see one of our esteemed councillors was swearing in the chamber last week on the subject due to an apparent lack of progress.

This construction surely cannot be deemed as being the saviour of the Island?

I mean we have Foula and Papa Stour as examples of collapsing communities, both of which have piers etc and a nil economy.

South Havra and Hildasay for example, both used to have communities living on them, but were deemed unviable to continue.

If we had a spendaholic council 100 or so years ago, would they be getting piers etc to keep them alive.

Am I missing something.?

It would be interesting to see what some of these projects cost per head of population. Papa Stour (sorry to single out) recently had £3.5 million in making ro-ro facilities available + £927,000 upgrading water facilities and the population was recently reported as 9. One wonders if the costs of some of these projects which would be equivalent to lottery jackpots, were shared out among the remaining residents, would move elsewhere?

A Whalsay skipper said to me years ago If you have no boats atall youll get a pier right away. Nothing has changed. There are other places where a pier is needed long before Fetlar. Mid yell , Collafirth needs more berthing space urgently and Ronas voe . All these places are a hive of activity and in Ronas voes case there is no safe berth between Collafirth and Westburrafirth . Probably one of the most exposed pieces of water on earth. The SICs policy seems to be if there is a genuine need for infrastructure of any kind then you have no chance of it ever being built.If there are any SIC officials reading this and I hope there are If you want to know why the shetland public think you are useless.I will give you one example. If you drive from VOE to LERWICK there is an empty car park at every junction you pass except one .Sandwater the one with all the cars parked at it. I rest my case.