Shetland Food Festival

bayhaa

a complete embarassment for Shetland, went in, and was out again within 5 mins, what a joke having that in the main hall

Maybe a touch on the harsh side.

I was in along an Saturday and have to say I was a little disappointed by the number of stalls. I believe the Tingwall's Farmers market was also on at the same time, which would not have helped!!

My wife was also there and thoroughly enjoyed the demonstrations and came back declaring it was the best £3 she has spent

Well paulb, there weren't much.

Some samples of smoked Salmon, a few nibbles from Saxa Vord, a few vegetables and lots os fudge, coffee was good though.

Oh a few mussels as well.

Where's the Cheese?,

I have more variety in my green house :wink:

he should be getting some out soon. but has he is doing it at home i guess it will take a while to get it into the shops. i love the smoked trout its realy good. sounds realy posh to those in england but theres not a whole lot of diffrence from some raw fish in price.

can't have too much fudge or chocs but was there no beef/lamb there. we had our first home grown lamb last week and though small much better than shop. thou knowing your eating spot or honey makes you think about what your eating. it got me respecting the meat as i was cutting it up. definetly better than just getting a lump of meat. yes we should grow a lot more of our own veg. im just glad that we dont have to survive on what we produced this year.

We enjoyed it.

We were able to sample various different products, buy the veg, eggs, some lamb, some sweets and some baking, have some coffee and watch demonstrations. That's not bad entertainment for £8 for the whole family.

The smoked trout was available in two varieties and a pate. The smoked mussels were ok, but I prefered them unsmoked. The smoked salmon was available in lots of varieties - smoked, organic, gravelax and several with different flavours. I really liked the limoncello one with the honey and mustard dressing. They also had horseradish and blueberry dressings to have with it.

The Scoop stall had lots of fresh veg, eggs and Shetland lamb (had the leg steaks and noisettes for our tea yesterday - very tender). There were the usual sweetie producers and the Saxavord stall was offering bits to eat to advertise themselves. We had brilliant fish and, chips there during the summer - home made tartare sauce, hand cut chunky chips and beautifully crisp batter on the fish.

We also came home with marmalade and cake from Liz Stark's stall. She also had a stall at the Farmer's market in Tingwall. We had gone there first and came home with a few things, but it had an awful lot of craft stalls and we weren't looking for that sort of thing.

The only stall that wasn't able to offer anything to eat was the Eshaness pigs who, for some reason, weren't able to offer any fresh meat this weekend. They told me that they had been at the Tingwall Market the previous time it was on and that they would be there next time - complete with meat. They were advertising packs of meat - 1/2 pigs and 10kg packs which contained various cuts of meat.

The coffee was very enjoyable and being able to sit and watch a demonstration before coming home rounded off a fine run out. We were going to go shopping for veg and eggs anyway, I hadn't decided what to have for our Sunday meal, so the lamb solved the problem and what a treat to have smoked salmon with my scrambled eggs in the morning!

I agree that it looked a bit sparse with the stalls in the main hall, and that there were other suppliers who could have been there, but those who did go to it were happy to talk to you about their produce whether you bought anything or not. What was the problem?[/i]

a complete embarassment for Shetland, went in, and was out again within 5 mins, what a joke having that in the main hall

Embarassment? Not so clear cut I would say.

With respect to exhibitors, there were indeed very few and they looked quite lonely on that side of the hall. The products presented were, nevertheless, fine.

The demo/presentation side of things on the other hand was very well done. The staging and generally slick presentation was really surprisingly impressive. Full marks there I think.

And yes, Hil's coffee as yummy as usual ;-)

Maybe a touch on the harsh side.

I was in along an Saturday and have to say I was a little disappointed by the number of stalls. I believe the Tingwall's Farmers market was also on at the same time, which would not have helped!!

My wife was also there and thoroughly enjoyed the demonstrations and came back declaring it was the best £3 she has spent

I was at the Tingwall farmer's market on Saturday, and I can assure you it was not threat to food festival at all. Infact poor numbers through the doors there too! The market dates were set at end of last year so they could not predict when food festival was on either.

I went to see Eunice Henderson cooking demo on Sunday, as she was fab last year and did not disappoint me this time. Cooking demos are great this is spot on to involve an audience, definately had they feel good factor.

I was expecting something really good or at least the same as last year's festival delivered.

However, the lack of local produce spoke volumes this year and looked poorly displayed/presented. Some stalls having very amateur signage and no clue on marketing their goods. Home computers used to print A4 signs or handwritten look cheap tacky and should not be allowed in my opinion.

If there was such a lack of stall holders why not get Harry's or Smith and Harper in with Cooking utensil's, pot's and pan's to take up the slack!