Programming languages

Fjool

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway: anyone using/used Python?

No, but I nearly did. When I was investigating which scripting language to implement in my systems I looked at Python carefully, and was indeed tempted to choose it. It appeared to be the most impressive of the available choices. I ultimately opted for a JavaScript engine because I reckoned it would be simpler for users to learn, but the downside of that choice is the loose typing. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Python's duck typing either and prefer everything to be clearly defined up front.

One unusual aspect of Python which I expect many may find annoying, but which I really like, is the requirement to indent correctly. I used to really like that when using Occam.

I'm not sure how the indenting thing would work out for me. I'm a stickler for nicely formatted code, but I don't think being too rigid is helpful. I've even centred or right-justified bits of code before to help improve clarity.

Next I'm looking at Ruby.

Rails is quite a nice framework to throw gems into for sure. Fast development turnaround is definitely possible.

Python. Not played with too much.

I do like auld school serverside and pulling into the client using HttpRequest though as you can split out both sides and split your development teams respectively without the muddy-muddle-puddle that can be .NET or other.

• 6 months later...

Python? A friend of mine has recommended I try and learn Django. As a PHP man, this is proving challenging. Anyway, he also recommended Eric as an IDE to work in.

I spend the bulk of my development time in PHP, occasional forays into AJAX and the guts of assorted Drupal sites.

• 2 weeks later...

I used python programming language. It is a general and high level programming language. You can integrate your systems more effectively. If you use Eclipse IDE and use python language. You have to import python library file every time whenever you start making a new application. It is open source so you can download it.

• 4 months later...

Can one of Shetlink's programming whizzes point me at a tutorial (preferably online, preferably free) on Regular Expressions? If REs come in language-specific flavours, it's Perl flavour I'm after - I've d/l'ed a program which is very useful as it comes, but cheerfully assumes that I can put together REs when specifying the switches which would really use its power. (It comes, btw, as a 350k Perl script, pretty impressive.)

FYI I'm not entirely naïve, though my programming expertise to date is mostly in Forth (for driving hardware) and lately the AutoIt scripting language (for driving Windows), rather than in yer actual C++ or such.

The ZX81 programming was about my level.

Perhaps you folk could remove the geeky bits and sub them for a more user friendly interpretation so we could all understand, how would the mere mortal make their choice.

My dad did dome big stuff with programming and Mathematics for his degree, reams of listing paper.

RegEx-es have long been a black art for me. Never spent the time to become familiar with them. I realise they're useful, but the quote I always remember is:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.

You'll find this quote, along with some other useful RegEx info over at Coding Horror: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/06/regular-expressions-now-you-have-two-problems.html

And SP, I'm afraid it would be very difficult (impossible?) to de-geek computer programming talk. ;)

RegExes are THE most complex thing ever invented.

I'm a long-time PHP man, but am dabbling with Rails. Also having to revisit javascript to get the best out of HTML5. I'm in the very early throes of playing with the new CANVAS tag ( http://www.whatdateisit.co.uk is my first primitive experiment)

What exactly are you looking for SP?

Most of my programming experience was with early Sinclair Basic and Machine Code. I left a big gap with just a few small dabbles here and there and am now seriously getting into Visual Basic purely for my own entertaintment/intrest.

There are plenty of "how to" examples avaliable online for any number of languages. Way too many to list here I suspect!

May be a simpler explanation. I did my programming on a Sinclair ZX81.

Though I am interested in programming for internet stuff, mainly to maximise usage of available space. Java sounds workable but as I go through the internet there are more and more requests to download addons.

What would be the most versatile, and as someone who has not used internet programming platforms before, where would the best tutors be?

Been trying my hand lately at programming for mobiles, Android in particular. Just can't get my brain around it. But I'm going to keep trying...

What do you think is causing your confusion? I've no experience with Android but am intending to target the platform before long. Are you using Eclipse?