Programming languages

Fjool

I think I'm just so used to PHP that trying to take in Java is a struggle. But I will keep trying. Using eclipse yeah.

I came across a program called Titanium Mobile from http://www.appcelerator.com/ There is a free edition and allows you to create Iphone and Android apps from javascript, css etc. It seems quite quick at getting something made and gives good results.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RegExes are THE most complex thing ever invented.

Hmm, unfortunately that pretty much confirms the impression I'd got while searching for guidance. Maybe I should find a Perl forum and ask the experts who presumably use the darn things daily - or just get used to manual searches through lists containing 90%+ of guff.

Noting all the comments about the difficulties of learning - well, just about any language these days, I'd bet a pound to a penny that the inventors of every last one of those languages and scripts reckoned that their baby was "it", the last word in programming simplicity and versatility. We (i.e., everybody else) must just be plain dumb not to realise that.

And, ah, yes, the ZX81 ... at least it didn't make your screen flash like the ZX80! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My best advice when using Regexps is simply to use google to help you search. Perl is a bit of a sausage to learn, however take some time to familiarise yourself with Awk and Sed scripting. This will help you no end.

--

BigMick

PS "Bit of a sausage"? I think not. Swear word. Rhymes with Rugger.

Avoid Eclipse. Started out using it after years of Visual Studio... Yuck. Komodo is way better with free and paid versions.

Not sure I agree with you there, but its a matter of personal taste. I'm still using vi for most of my coding, but that's mainly 'cos I'm an old git :). I've used eclipse as well as a few other IDE's and eclipse is the best I've tried. That said, I'm not using it for day-to-day coding (see above).

Avoid Eclipse. ... Yuck. Komodo is way better.

I think you are comparing apples and pears, they are not really covering the same. Komodo concentrates on just a few languages, whereas Eclipse supports far more, in particular Java, C++ etc.

Well, I decided not to spend my declining years learning "THE most complex thing ever invented" (­© enkelt skapninger 2010). Instead, I cheated. I've got an *oldish copy of Take Command, which for a MS user is a command line on steroids (or, for *x users, just another script interpreter, except it's for MS systems). As it has plenty power, I just wrote myself a TC batch file to filter the huge unfiltered output text files which were my original problem. I blush ( :oops: ) to admit that I just wrote my filtering requirements straight into the batch file, rather than designing an INI file solution - inelegant, but what the heck, it works perfectly, 3 - 4 thousand lines down to about 150.

* - Mine's v2. I see they're up to v11 now. :shock:

Can one of Shetlink's programming whizzes point me at a tutorial (preferably online, preferably free) on Regular Expressions?

I think that the official Perl tutorials are quite good. At least I found them very helpful when I was into regexp's some 6-7 years ago:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrequick.html

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlretut.html

http://faq.perl.org/perlfaq6.html

See also:

http://perldoc.perl.org/index-tutorials.html

http://www.perl.org/books/library.html (free books on Perl where you can surely find chapters on regexps)

Avoid Eclipse. ... Yuck. Komodo is way better.

I think you are comparing apples and pears, they are not really covering the same. Komodo concentrates on just a few languages, whereas Eclipse supports far more, in particular Java, C++ etc.

I'm comparing based on experience of using them with languages they both support. I've not touched Java since 1.0 and have no intention of ever going near C++. However, if I were to, I'd sooner use notepad and a command line than Eclipse.

So... after a couple of hours spent cobbling other people's C# code together, I have a small time-lapse program that will periodically capture a bitmap from a camera device and write the frames directly to an AVI. All neat and useful, except...

the resulting AVI is upside-down! :( Weird. I guess I have the image format wrong somehow. Colour-depth and dimensions are perfect, the AVI looks just fine so long as I stand on my head.

:?

The preview window is just fine, and I can save the individual bitmaps as files, these are quite normal. So the problem must be when converting to AVI.

So... after a couple of hours spent cobbling other people's C# code together, I have a small time-lapse program that will periodically capture a bitmap from a camera device and write the frames directly to an AVI. All neat and useful, except...

the resulting AVI is upside-down! :( Weird. I guess I have the image format wrong somehow. Colour-depth and dimensions are perfect, the AVI looks just fine so long as I stand on my head.

Probably it has to do with the order of bit transmission from the device into AVI, big endian or little endian. But that's just my guess.