'doing justice' in Shetland

niceday

Rather than put in my tuppence worth on the 'Peter Leask' thread I though I'd take the opportunity to make a wider point about ‘doing justice’ in a small community like Shetland.

I have always thought that it is unfortunate that a more imaginative, dare I say more progressive, approach to dealing with people causing (or threatening) harm to the community is not attempted in Shetland. Too ready recourse is made to the anglo-saxon model of crime-responsibility-prosecution-court-retributive or deterrent punishment.

Other approaches to ‘doing justice’ are possible. I am attracted to the idea of so called ‘restorative justice’ where those doing harm are forced to confront the harm they have caused to the community and a contract is made between the offender and the community for repairing the harm which has been done and preventing future harm. It therefore involves a conceptual shift away from a system based on retributive punishment which is ‘backward looking’ to a ‘forward looking’ approach.

These ideas are obviously difficult to implement in large metropolitan areas but they have been successfully inserted into mainstream justice processes in smaller communities in parts of New Zealand, Canada and Australia. I think if anywhere is likely to have the capacity to implement a ‘restorative’ approach to justice then it would be a relatively small and ‘strong’ community like Shetland.

If anyone is interested in this you can read more here:

http://www.restorativejustice.org/intro/

How did I miss this one. Prisons are packed to bursting point so why not an experimental "local jail" for remote areas like Shetland where relatives have a hard time visiting. Somewhere that could run some sort of programme to prevent re-offending rather than keeping people locked up. Somewhere like Unst where there are some spare buildings.

How did I miss this one. Prisons are packed to bursting point so why not an experimental "local jail" for remote areas like Shetland where relatives have a hard time visiting. Somewhere that could run some sort of programme to prevent re-offending rather than keeping people locked up. Somewhere like Unst where there are some spare buildings.

lol - I love the way that people are getting more and more imaginative in their approach to the "Unst problem"!

I say allocate them all numbers and prevent them from leaving the island through the use of big inflatable white death-balls…

• 2 weeks later...

The local sherrif employed quite a creative touch to his "doing justice" this week. I have cut-and-pasted this article from the Shetland News website:

A SHERIFF has told a young musician from Shetland that he must think up ways of steering young people off drugs, after he admitted giving a teenage friend a cannabis reefer at Lerwick Sheriff Court yesterday (Wednesday).

Lyall Balfour Campbell, aged 24, of Stakkafletts, Fetlar, was arrested in Law Lane, Lerwick, last February after police were tipped off that a group of youngsters were preparing a reefer.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said the finger was pointed at Campbell as being the source of the drugs, but the amount of cannabis in the reefer was "ridiculously small".

Sheriff Graeme Napier deferred sentence on Campbell, telling him to return to court in six months with some ideas on preventing drug abuse in young people.

Sheriff Napier said: "I would like some suggestions as to how the implications of being involved in the misuse of drugs can properly be communicated to young people in Shetland."

He suggested Campbell liaise with local youth groups, drug agencies and the council's social work department to help him with his task.