Aberdeen Maternity Hospital/Accommodation

Peerie Tr00ker

Hi

I'm heading south to have my next baby.

Can anyone recommend accommodation to stay in? I'll be taking my 1 year old so it would be handy to get somewhere close to the hospital.

im not sure if the hospital accommodation would be suitable from what i've heard and i'm not even to sure if children are allowed to stay there

Also, has anyone had to go south for a baby and take their other children? if so how did it work out?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi me and my wife were away couple of month ago i stayed in the red cross accomodation it was really nice meant a taxi up and down to the hospital you could walk it but would take a while,stayed in the isles accomodation one night and that was enough for me its pretty grim! shame really as it could be really nice with a bit of a make over!!

^^ I can't imagine what you were shown but my wife and I spent weeks in the Isles rooms and they are a godsend. The only disadvantage is that you have one flight of stairs to go up to get there, but there are loads of childrens toys and a nice library of books to pass your time.

The smoking room did stink the place up but thankfully that will be long gone now (I assume).

I wouldn't consider anywhere else with a toddler if a room was avaliable.

The Red Cross accomodation is really excellent. It's been a few years since I was there last, but it is fairly new and well run. Very helpful staff and all the guests are connected with the Hospital and are always willing to help out other guests.

They are well used with people arriving with little or no warning and I'm sure even had cots available if needed.

Link here gives some details

http://www.redcross.org.uk/localservice.asp?id=89940

Yes, you can take bairns to the island accomodation - but as it says above, it's pretty grim - Stained carpets I certainly wouldn't set a toddler on; no sinks in the toilets; bathrooms shared between 10 rooms that aren't cleaned from friday to monday; generally shabby, dirty and smelly ("smoking sittingroom" was still unusable 3 years after the smoking ban when I was there).

It is free, but you can't book in advance. You just get a room when you turn up if there's one available, and for all they are so disgusting, there are plenty of people who use them, so sometimes you have to wait days for a room. Obviously, AMH is responsible for you and would just keep you on a ward if there was no room available for you, but they aren't responsible for finding accomodation for your partner/bairns. I'd say it was a bit risky going to aberdeen without any definate accomodation, as during the week it can be nearly impossible to find something at short notice.

Red Cross is much nicer, but not free. And obviously it's not so handy with the hospital.

am no saying the isles is bad just needs a bit of a re-vamp the room i got was pretty grotty and i ken alot of other folk that have said the same thats why there is so many folk trying to raise money to do it up,peerie tr00ker i would definately recomend it the rooms were always spotless with an en-suite and a t.v in the room you also get your breakfast,the folk that run it went out there way to accomodate me but as i said before probably need to get taxis there is a bus but think you have to change buses along the way to get to hospital? not sure though

My brother and his partner were down here last week havin a baby and my bro was stayin in the isles accommodation. I definately would NOT recommend it,especially if you have a child! My brother didn't even get a duvet cover for the quilt and the place was far from clean. The window didn't even close properly. Student halls is cleaner and thats sayin something! I'd recommend the red cross,heard lots of good reports on it,but i'd certainly steer clear of the isles accommodation. Its a shame its like that as it could be nice if it was done up a bit.

I had my twins down in Aberdeen an i stayed there for 7 wks!!! It was horrible!! Some weeks there were really nice ppl who cleaned up after themselves then there was a few that would leave dirty cups an plates an never clean up after themselves. The management are unhelpful and the place is very grubby. I had no option but to stay there most of my 7 wks and my son who is 2 came down an stayed with me. There is a cot which we had to fix an i bought new bed clothes for it too. I really would not recommend staying there as it is stressful enough being away south having a baby and its much nicer being somewhere clean and relaxing. You say that it is a lot of money but you do get that money back as you are an islander. Aberdeen hospital pays for this. You can go into the general entrance which is where the main hospital used to be years ago an get your money back each wk as long as you have receipts from redcross. It really is a lovely place to stay while down in hosptal. Personally if you can avoid going the islands accomodation you should. There is a commity in shetland raising money for it now an refurbishment should be starting at the end of the year. Or so we're told.

Im not 100% sure but i think it is up to £35 a day. Your boyfriend would have to pay for himself im affraid but you would get all the money back. You get a midwife to sign a piece of paper an then take it to the hospital an you will get all your money back on the same day. Does your midwife not have any of this info? You get a care package from your midwife before you leave with a list of b and b's an hotels you could stay at.