Aberdeen Maternity Hospital/Accommodation

Peerie Tr00ker

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the comitte to raise money for the accomodation. Yes, the accommodation is closing its doors on 23 of this month and will be closed for a minimum of 12 weeks. I don't know what arrangements are in place for mums during this time, best speak to your midwife as soon as possible but I'd avise you to book into the red cross as soon as you can. It can easily be cancelled nearer the time.

I would imagine Mums that need to be in the hopsital will be admitted to a ward but other than that who knows.

It will be well worth it when it has been refurbished though!

The Islands accommodation at AMH is closing on 23rd Nov for a period of about 4 months for refurbishment.

So far it hasn't been clarified what will be on offer for parents to be.

ahh nuts :evil: ... my wife is due january 03rd with our 2nd child :D .... really hoping we don't get sent south as i'll have to take my 17 month old daughter with me... and at that time of year accommodation in aberdeen will be at a premium.

that is really not good news.

just speaking to my boyfriend and we were planning to stay in the hospital as we're on a budget

i know the red cross's rates are low but will there be any reduced rates? even paying their rates isn't within our budget. especially as we're going down a week before my due date and could be there for 3 weeks

really worried now

I wouldn't think the rates will be reduced. I would speak to your midwife in the first instance and see what they can do. You can never rely on the island accommodation as it is allocated on a first come first served basis and can't be pre-booked. It's a case of seeing if a room is available when you get there, unfortunately there is sometimes a lengthy wait for a room to become available.

When the refurb is complete there will be a couple of extra rooms but thats going to take time (and cash)!

If its the case you have to be in hospital you'll be admitted but that doesn't help your partner or child.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone who's had to book private accommodation know if your daily accommodation allowance will cover having to pay if you have to cancel due to having the baby early and not ending up going to aberdeen?

looking into self catering and would need to book for 2-3 weeks. i'd still have to pay even if i have baby early and cancel. if that makes sence

have you enquired at any of the student halls? Accommodation is basic, but usually on decent bus routes and cheap. Recommend getting weekly bus passes as you'll save loads even if you only catch 2 buses a day.

It's so frustrating, all the folk I can think who would have been able to advise have found themselves subject to budget cuts. Your midwife should be helping to advise you on all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my daughter in Aberdeen Maternity hospital back in Sept 2008. Unless things have drastically changed I dont really understand what all the fuss is about , my partner was very greatful for a place to lay his head at night because effectively thats all it was...he spent every waking moment on the ward until he was told to get gone in the evenings and was back first thing the next morning. He never complained about the cleanliness of the place but did say it was very basic but seriously who cares?

I understand if youre there for an extended period of time ( we were down for just a week ..I had a c-section ) the lack of facilities might become a problem but they wernt for us.

The bigest problem with Aberdeen Maternity certainly isnt the accomodation in my opinion its the lack of staffing, poor nurses were run off thier feet for the vast majority of the time and we were left just to get on with it. Ive spent time in the GB prior to that experiance and the two are poles apart.

i know, i would love to stay in the hospital accommodation but its just bad timing that the isles accommodation is closed :(

they are apparently opening 4 rooms up, maybe on a ward or something. i don't know much about these but i would really need somewhere that i could make up my daughters meals. i'm popping into the hospital through the week to find out more

i'm finding it difficult to book anywhere like self catering. if i have the baby early a lot of the self catering places want a months notice for cancelling. so i could end up booking for 2 weeks and not going and getting a big bill

also, need somewhere so when i'm in labour my mum can come up and babysit

As far as I am aware, the hospital is making some rooms available in a ward that is usually closed. They will only accommodate the pregnant woman, partners and children cannot stay. I am not sure if there are any kitchen facilites available. Check with your Midwife or Maternity , but I think that is reasonably up to date info. I know it doesn't make life very easy, but the Red Cross House is very good for allowing you to cancel bookings at short notice.