Favourite ever sweeties and biscuits

moorit

:lol: Para Handy maybe thats the problem I'm getting old! Had the zimmer care centre next! My relations in Canada can't get enough Cadburys chocolate when they're here they say the chocolate there is different.

I know one man from the USA that comes to the UK once a month

And buys pallets of the stuff and ships it home for his kids

They all hate us chocolate.

I'm getting old to and there is things I love as a boy that I have tried in the past few years. And I wonder what I saw in it

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings Clear Cinnamons.

They folded and stopped making them :(

Been looking for a cinnamon ball as good for years- think I just found them?!

Made in Stromness, the packet has a picture of the Ring of Brodgar on it

{Packet oot in the car and it's too coorse a night to go out & look at the details}

Their Tablet is also very good indeed :)

I'm getting old to and there is things I love as a boy that I have tried in the past few years. And I wonder what I saw in it

This was a topic discussed a while back when a group of us who used t play as bairns were working together (homer) and got some mars bars, which we commented used to be 10p, to have during a break.

Everybody thought they were way too sweet, and just no fine at all.

Maybe its just fond memories enhanced wi time givin a false comparison, or more likely, IMO, more processed hellery an chemicals included.

Incidentally, the conversation centred aroond gettin aff da schoolbus wi 25p, which wis enough for a can o coke/lemonade (or usually lager an lime! mind dat!) at 10p, 10p fur da mars/marathon, an 5p fur crisps.

I'm sure sweeties must have raced aheed o inflation...

Sorry, off topic. So, anybody keen if you can still get oddfellows in Shetland? (the sweeties - afore anybody gets smart!) :D

No Spinner72

For me it was the cafe In Scalloway where the old folks home is now and was a hard ware shop in between that. You went in with your Sixpence. And got a bag of McCowans individual Highland Cow Toffee sweets. In the green wrappers and Walter Mowat's Vimto, Limeade, Cream Soda or Orange (Not bad for Sixpence) That shows how old I am) And there was also the blue bag with round toffee treats in it

Memories !

:lol: Para Handy maybe thats the problem I'm getting old! Had the zimmer care centre next! My relations in Canada can't get enough Cadburys chocolate when they're here they say the chocolate there is different.

It is different, as the rules on how much cocoa solids are different in the US (and in most of Europe) as far as the hame of the product, ie chocolate or candy.

Many UK manufacturers cannot sell in the states as their product contains too much cocoa butter and not enough cocoa solids, so the product has a strong flavour of chocolate but is not actually chocolate,

Having said that, white chocolate is not actually chocolate at all,but thats another story.

the trick is khit, squeeze all of you in a car and visit the cafe. The chocolate sundays have more chocolate than anyone can manage themselves. Then burn it all off in the play park or down the beach.

Edit - before anyone says it no I'm not being paid. I really have enjoyed every visit, they're wonderful hosts.

• 1 month later...

How did I miss this topic about chocolate and biscuits?

Biscuits I used to love but aren't available any longer are Romany... they were round chocolate sandwich ones, with chocolate in the middle... lovely.

I used to love Smarties too, when they were Rowntrees. When Nestle took over they altered the chocolate, they are no longer round and the natural colours (rather than artificial) make them taste funny. :x

I love Mars bars when they are frozen solid. They take ages to eat and are divine.

I tend to get Maltesers, so I can nibble off a bit of chocolate and kind of dissolve the middle, or just bite off all the chocolate.

I love most Cadbury's and everything else, inc Belgian chocolate, but I don't like aniseed.

Damn now I want some. :? :)