Favourite ever sweeties and biscuits

moorit

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fort Chippy sells Caramac! Got 2 today- will try the 'melting-down-to spread-on-Digestives-Experiment tomorrow :)

EM- that's interesting- I didna ken that shop had been a sweetie shop- first I ever mind being in there was being bought a lovely flowery anorak when I was about 5?

Amy- I heard just the other day of someone's children absolutely loving a microwaved Snowball. Not tried that- you surely have to stop it as soon as it frooshes up, and eat Carefully as it'll be Very hot...

Does anyone mind the tins of Sasperilla they used to sell at Pete's?

Not had that since... sigh :(

Tried the quick way to melt Caramac onto a Digestive today -under the grill.

... forgot about the added flavour of the toasted Digestive... but the Caramac melted nicely :)

Think next time, will melt it in a bowl over hot water & spread on.

1969-70, yup I'd have been about 5 or 6 then. The Bargain Centre was full of everything in huuge cardboard boxes.

{Well, they looked huge to a 5 yr old...}

I loved that anorak!

• 1 month later...

Piggywiggy - have you only just found Choc Limes now? Aw, that's a shame, all those years you've missed out!

We used to buy them from Harry's shop in Baltasound when I was a bairn up on holiday.

Malteser Rabbits... could anyone manage to keep one in the fridge for longer than 3 days without wolfing it down??

Trowie - sorry, no, it was white/light background wi lots o peerie flowers all over it. Purple-ish edging I seem to think?

Ye Gods der must be a photo of it somewhere at Mums?! Must have a look soon!

Favourite sweeties at that age were:

McCowan's ha'penny toffees {big enough to cut in half wi Mum's breadknife to share} {Yes, I still have a scar...}

Egg & Milk chews by McCowans

Lucky Tatties wi a plastic GI in the middle

Old English Spangles

Woppa ice lollies were 3p but occasionally we could find 5p to buy a Lord Toffingham!

4p got us a bottle of our favourite Schweppes Tropical Lemon.

We went Decimal on 15th Feb 1971 when I was 6, but I do mind going to the shop with my jar with old ha'pennies, a Penny or two and on odd occasions- a thrupenny bit. Canna mind what the old prices were- but I seem to think a McCowans Toffee was a ha'penny- changing to 1p ?

We went Decimal on 15th Feb 1971 when I was 6, but I do mind going to the shop with my jar with old ha'pennies, a Penny or two and on odd occasions- a thrupenny bit. Canna mind what the old prices were- but I seem to think a McCowans Toffee was a ha'penny- changing to 1p ?

I think you are spot on mogling - well remembered. McCowans Toffee made for excellent chews.

I was 15 at the time we went decimal, but I remember very well when I was aged 6 (1962) that you could get 12 decent sized 'chews' for an old ha'penny, at the sweetie shop at the bottom of Dalkeith Road in Edinburgh. I couldn't see over the counter, but the shopkeeper had big glass jars at small kid height, full of a huge range of enticing coloured chews, etc. Used to cycle there (yes at that age - very few cars or anything else on the roads) with my mates on their push bikes, and we would fill our pockets for the ride home - kept us going for days on thruppence (3d) worth of sweets.

Imagine getting 72 chews nowadays for 1p...which is all thruppence translates to.

Man, I feel old... :lol:

Piggywiggy - have you only just found Choc Limes now? Aw, that's a shame, all those years you've missed out!

We used to buy them from Harry's shop in Baltasound when I was a bairn up on holiday.

Malteser Rabbits... could anyone manage to keep one in the fridge for longer than 3 days without wolfing it down??

yes just found them now! I was doing so well with the no sweets and fizzy juice! 22years of missing out on those lovely sweets!

• 3 months later...