Origin of the term - "Soothmoother"

Malachy

How about distinguishing between similar terms. Would you say there was a difference in meaning between "he's a soothmoother" and "he's fae sooth"? Even a subtle one?

Interesting to read other opinions on this. I would have said that the meanings are the same, but the latter is favoured by people who now wish to avoid using the former, due to the umbrage expressed by some in recent years.

I do think that the fuss surrounding Peter's comments has been quite significant in the misunderstandings surrounding the word. As with the subsequent Dhanni case, it was not the use of the word, but rather the contexts which led to the sanctions against the individuals. Many people believe that they were disciplined for simply using the word, and consequently the myth has spread that the word is not acceptable.

Why I think it is important to point out that the word is not (yet) taboo relates to the problem of misunderstanding innocent usage. Most people realise it is neutral, but when those who think it is taboo hear it, the innocent users are considered xenophobes. This is sometimes compounded when the user realises that somebody present is recently arrived and may not realise the usage was innocent. I've witnessed such situations and the subsequent microscopic pause must surely reinforce the view the word is in fact taboo.

Funnily enough, it is rare that you hear the term teuchter being used negatively, unlike most other similar descriptions.

:shock:

I am amazed to hear this. I don't think I've ever encountered the word teuchter used positively or neutrally. I certainly admit that when I use it, and I do, it is only in a negative context.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, it is rare that you hear the term teuchter being used negatively, unlike most other similar descriptions.

:shock:

I am amazed to hear this. I don't think I've ever encountered the word teuchter used positively or neutrally. I certainly admit that when I use it, and I do, it is only in a negative context.

this is an interesting one for sure, I never knew there could be a negative aspect to teucter until i read this! We have a few relatives in Lewis around the same age, and they are definitely proud to be teucters, it's used in the same way as we (well, some o wis!) say are proud to be magnies.

Take a look at track 8 for example :)

Now for my second surprise of this thread - "gug" is offensive? :shock:

^^ The common usage I've heard for "gug" is to describe any thick slimey substance.

The only time I've ever known it applied to a person, was to one individual, last heard of residing in Sandwick. He didn't exactly care for it, but wasn't all that put out about it either. He'd been known as that from childhood, for reason(s) I never bothered to find out.

^^ The common usage I've heard for "gug" is to describe any thick slimey substance.

That is the meaning I know for "guggit" also, but since the late 80's or early 90's have heard it used to mean a desperate hardcore alki, usually an annoying one. "Just ignore yun auld gug at da ber" Then of course there was "gug in your lug"...

The only time I've ever known it applied to a person, was to one individual, last heard of residing in Sandwick. He didn't exactly care for it, but wasn't all that put out about it either. He'd been known as that from childhood, for reason(s) I never bothered to find out.

That fellow is actually kent as Gug - not a gug...whitever dat is. Idder as him, dis is da first I've ever heard da wird.

Lik dee, I dinna ken why.

^^ see, this is major part of the mis-understanding of many things, no? Generational mis-guidance on certain aspects within families and wider community settings can quite easily achieve cultural misanthopy, no?

A 'gug' of all things, quite plainly to me at this point, has been determined prior as an interpretation of 'magnie', yet meant with some determined vitriol. Where that sets me now, I question! See, life itself is a moving target - one just has to know where to point ---> hoop fir da baest!!!

^^ 'beast' .... no that was 'best' for all you 'Soothmoothers' out there ;) arf arf

^^ Ditto. "gug" ta me is a young Magnie, no quite gotten inta da waye o proper spree's an insteed ends up guggit mair aften dan no.

(I gave up trying to avoid dialect there - impossible!)

I guess what this all goes to show is that like so many words used to describe a "category" of people, the meaning and interpetation of soothmoother is constantly changing.

That fellow is actually kent as Gug - not a gug...whitever dat is. Idder as him, dis is da first I've ever heard da wird.

Lik dee, I dinna ken why.

Yup, agreed. He is kent as just "Gug", my fault for not making that clear in my original post. And I bet he'd have a few choice wirds ta say if he kent we wir discussin him on here. :wink:

^^ Ditto. "gug" ta me is a young Magnie, no quite gotten inta da waye o proper spree's an insteed ends up guggit mair aften dan no.

Are you using "guggit" here to mean "absolutely shyters"?

And are you a gug if you quietly flake out under the table, or do you have to start annoying folk?

I guess what this all goes to show is that like so many words used to describe a "category" of people, the meaning and interpetation of soothmoother is constantly changing.

Quite right (just to bring things back to where we're supposed to be). My initial interest in writing about it was because of the controversy itself, and the apparently wildly differing views on the word. I would argue that those who say 'no offence, end of story' are really simplifying the matter too much and dismissing others views without really thinking about them.

Words change their meanings, surely, and they pick up new connotations depending on how they're used. Two good examples would be gypsy and eskimo. Both were once used universally, but both picked up negative connotations and so are generally used with more care nowadays, or alternatives are used.

What is particularly interesting to me is that some contributors here have described soothmoother as an entirely neutral or even affectionate term. It's almost as though no anti-incomer feelings had ever been widely expressed in Shetland, and as though that word were not, invariably, tied up with those feelings and that expression. But would anyone say that was actually the case?

Forty years ago in Unst there was often very strong feelings shown between some locals and some service personnel. Remember that in those days there were no 'roll on/roll off' ferries so it was more difficult to stay apart. The incomers either loved the place or hated it,with just a few content to serve their 18 months with the least bother.

'Sooth moother' was a term used with deep loathing by some whilst the retaliatory epithet was 'Shetcong' with equal animosity.

As transport improved and free travel permits were made more widely available the situation improved.

What is particularly interesting to me is that some contributors here have described soothmoother as an entirely neutral or even affectionate term. It's almost as though no anti-incomer feelings had ever been widely expressed in Shetland, and as though that word were not, invariably, tied up with those feelings and that expression. But would anyone say that was actually the case?

I can't ever recall soothmoother used as a general derogatory term, of course there would be "damn fool soothmoother" directed here and there but that could have been any individual with any descriptor included. "Bloody Incomers" was by far the more common term.

A very interesting reply by Claudias there, asI had never heard the RAF described as soothmoothers, despite many clashes at secondary school level on the rugby pitch. Maybe it was just that local and forces children didnt have the same issues?

My father was also ex-RAF (as in a shetlander who served, not someone who moved here due to service) but that could have meant we were less likely to hear derogatory remarks on the whole.