South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if SEPA know about the choice of burning site.....they just might have an alternative opinion!

On what basis? It is open ocean with Shetland weather. In terms of suitability for galley burning it would be hard to find a less problematic location. Look at how quickly our weather dealt with the masses of oil from the Braer. A galley burning at the ayre will be absolutely insignificant from an environmental impact point of view.

On what basis? It is open ocean with Shetland weather. In terms of suitability for galley burning it would be hard to find a less problematic location. Look at how quickly our weather dealt with the masses of oil from the Braer. A galley burning at the ayre will be absolutely insignificant from an environmental impact point of view.

I suppose if the wind is in da right eart' then all the debris will end up on Burra! but just because it is the only suitable site, it doesn't necessarily mean it is acceptable. (what about all the nails/tacks from the torch heads appearing throughtout the summer, polluting the white sands?

... just because it is the only suitable site,...

It isn't the only suitable site, but it is a good one.

(what about all the nails/tacks from the torch heads appearing throughtout the summer, polluting the white sands?

Do you really think this is a realistic likelihood? My prediction (wearing my own Engineer hat) is that no such result will occur for several reasons. I think that you are more likely just being cheeky for fun, or have you suddenly gone off UHA ;-)

Hey Folks, small site update, now including a selection of photo's of the Galley Building Process.

The Gallery can be found here

Or you can ofcourse, find it on on main site Here

The photos are in no set order, as of yet - and thanks must go out to a very busy Dale Smith for suppling them.

All images are copyright © Dale Smith Photography, and must not be used / copied /altered in any way without prior permission.

• 1 month later...

A great afternoon had in the South Mainland Up Helly Aa torch shed!

The torches are rolled, covered and cemented.

All is complete from the torch making side of things.

Looking forward to the first South Mainland Up Helly Aa!

No sign of the South Mainland Up Helly Aa on the shetlink event's calender...is there a genuine reason for this or has no one got around to putting it up?

Once upon a time, an unknown Viking scratched an image of a dragon head onto a small stone. This tablet was subsequently unearthed during the Jarlshof excavations. It is unclear if the artist meant to depict a real dragon or the prow of a Viking ship. I prefer the latter option, indeed it is not unlikely it could have been a representation of a vessel beached at the settlement.

http://www.erik-moncrieff.com/misc/DragonJarlshof.jpg

Now, 1100 or so years later, from the other side of the Pool of Virkie the dragon is back and ready to burn :-)

http://www.erik-moncrieff.com/misc/DragonSMUHA.jpg