South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

Just back from St Ninians isle, how imprest I am at the amount of rubbish that has been left by the South Mainland Up Helly Aa. Cant wait until next year for even more rubbish to be left cluttering up the area.

Unless you have proof that the litter you have seen on St. Ninans's beach is from the SMUHA (galley bits, torches etc.), you should not post that it is from the SMUHA.

I saw the beach a couple of days after the burning & it was cleared of any SMUHA related material.

Marine litter is constantly washing up on Shetland beaches - see

http://www.kimointernational.org/Home.aspx

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to look at a picture, I saw it myself whilst walking my dog.

Whilst it may or may not have been removed now, it has still been sat there for approx a month. I'm sure the German tourists I saw whilst there, were impressed by it....

And whether it be on the beach or in the car park, it shouldn't have been left for any time at all.

If you go to Lerwick Up Helly Aa, there is not a trace to be seen the very next day.

Perhaps South Mainland Up Helly Aa committee should take some tips from them.

So ROCKY3 is correct in his/her original post, in that there is/was a pile of bruck, and it shouldn't be there, and no amount of saying it is neatly piled in the car park is going to detract from the fact that it has been left since 12th March.

So shoot me down in flames if you wish for daring to make a comment that isn't praise for South Mainland Up Helly Aa.

As anyone can tell you it is a downside of the internet age that people with an axe to grind would rather post anonymously on a internet forum than get in touch personally with those who could have dealt with their issues in a more amicable manner.

Anyone who had issues with the debris and its storage could have pm'd anyone of the people that are on the forum who are involved with the committee or got in touch by phone, or any of the other internet avenues available for example the SMUHA website? Where the matter could have been resolved without any of the apparent animousity seen on here once again.

I suppose roos of laid up firewid and other recovered floatsam will be considered "rubbish" to be complained about next.

Don't get me started on this one! Since it is about time for another voar redd up, might I make a plea to over enthusiastic bruck collectors - clear the beaches by all means, but DO NOT STEAL THE SALVAGE LYING ABOVE THE HIGH WATER MARK. Thanks.

I suppose roos of laid up firewid and other recovered floatsam will be considered "rubbish" to be complained about next.

Don't get me started on this one! Since it is about time for another voar redd up, might I make a plea to over enthusiastic bruck collectors - clear the beaches by all means, but DO NOT STEAL THE SALVAGE LYING ABOVE THE HIGH WATER MARK. Thanks.

.....................BECAUSE IT IS AWAITING INSPECTION AND COLLECTION BY THE RECEIVER OF WRECK

And whether it be on the beach or in the car park, it shouldn't have been left for any time at all.

I think you might find that the beach is actually private property, and whatever is or isn't put on it and/or left on it is wholly a matter between the owner and the person(s) doing the putting and/or leaving, and no one else's business.

Unlike elsewhere in the UK where the landlowner owns to the point of highest high water where adjoining the shore, landowners in Shetland own to the point of lowest low water. Occupiers of crofts local to any one beach enjoy certain legally enforcable foreshore rights involving beaches which they cannot be denied, and the occoupier of the beach has to put up with and cooperate with those. But anyone else is simply a guest on the beach occupiers property, and as such, while entitled to an opinion, it is entirely down to the beach occupier whether they heed that opinion of not.

I'm sure the German tourists I saw whilst there, were impressed by it....

Well, you are sure (sarcastically) but I would not be so presumptious. They might even have been quite interested in the material. I would have been, and I know that others even went there specifically in the hope that there would be stuff to see. Your use of the word leads me to surmise that you have a black and white idea about how Shetland's environment has to be, and everyone must agree with your philosophy. The crux of the matter concerns whether "beautiful Shetland" should be treated as some kind of sterile nature themepark, or as a sustainable living environment. Your view seems to be rooted in the former.

In the case of SMUHA we made enormous effort to have no detrimental effect on the site, and still create a vivid and enjoyable spectacle. I think we achieved both goals. People of the "tree hugging" persuasion may also be interested to know that a huge amount of the material for the galley was scranned (with full approval) from building site skips. Very green :-)

So you say. Others, including the land owner, did not agree with you. The comment about your dog is very pertinent. You clearly think that beaches are for walking dogs. Many people disagree with you on that, as vehemently as you complain about SMUHA.

Perhaps South Mainland Up Helly Aa committee should take some tips from them.

There was actually quite a large amount of assistence provided by the Lerwick festival, particularly from the torch boys, and in the marshalling.

Nowhere did I say I expected everyone or indeed anyone to agree with me. This is a forum to voice ones opinion is it not? I am merely doing so.

Where in my posts do you see me complaining about SMUHA? Again, nowhere. I was expressing my concern at the pile of bruck left after the event, not the event itself.

And no, I do not think the beaches are there for dogs. I think the beaches are there for everyone to enjoy, and there is no reason why everyone can't do that, as long as everyone who uses them, cleans up any mess they should make. And yes, that includes dog poo, and bits of left over torch and galley.

Nowhere did I say I expected everyone or indeed anyone to agree with me.

Indeed not, hence my use of "surmise" and "seems to be."

Where in my posts do you see me complaining about SMUHA?

I see SMUHA as an overall package, not simply the day itself. Your moaning about the non-instantaneous removal of debris is certainly a complaint about our logistical organisation.