South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

when you look back a fotos o robbie we his long hair its no hard to imagine him jumping into bed of a night with a guizer jarl :wink:

seriously tho good on de lass an aa da best for de big night

I have yet to hear a single positive comment about it - and that includes mostly reisidents from the soothend! Also, don't know why people then start slagging off the main UHA, the smha has only had one year, bit early to be saying they have got it better as lerwick is it not?

And why would anybody actively make negative comments about the idea of a female Jarl? Can you think of any objective reasons why a woman couldn't take on the role, other than 'it's just no right'. What could a bloke do that Lesley couldn't (she could even wear a false beard! Tradition is no excuse for prejudiced attitudes. OK, it's good to have a bit of a laugh about a lady Jarl, but serious opinion against this is simply sh#te! Give us one real reason females shouldn't be Jarls.

I have yet to hear a single positive comment about it - and that includes mostly reisidents from the soothend! Also, don't know why people then start slagging off the main UHA, the smha has only had one year, bit early to be saying they have got it better as lerwick is it not?

Firstly, I'm no particular fan of UHA, any UHA. If folk want to organise it and do it, thats fine, I don't mind, and good luck to them, its just not really my idea of a spree to get involved with or attend.

Other rural UHA's have had females in squads and all female squads now for years, to not have a female lead the show sometimes when they're already fully participating otherwise, is very difficult to see grounds of justification for unless sexual discrimination.

UHA only ever paid lip service to Viking authenticity at the best of times, and the Lerwick one sold out on its roots and origins a very long time ago, it is now simply a torch lit procession paegant that gives the nod to Shetland's Viking heritage, and a massive spree afterwards. This presumably is what the organising committee agrees it is to be.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it, if those involved in the Lerwick one are content with how they do it, that's fine, but that doesn't automatically mean the rural ones must all have minature replicas. It is not a franchise arrangement, each area has adopted the idea and created an event from it that is best suited to that organising committee's liking. If that includes a female leader of the SMUHA version, I really don't see the problem.

There is no "better" version, each one is what the individual organising committee and participants makes it be, there is no "competition" to create the definitive UHA, only a desire on the part of those involved with each individual one to make it exactly as they want it.

Any criticism of one by another should be light hearted, as any previous comments I have made on this thread were intended to be taken. And if any one version believes itself above criticism by anyone, its elevating itself in to a very dangerous position.

Weel so far as I'm aware shú's no alienated ony tourists by brandin dem soothmoothers or expressed similar tendencies via her internet site so somebody's doin something right..

An even tho shús a teacher, I bet dey winna burn da Gelley in a playpark :wink:

I'd be careful what you say...

Weel so far as I'm aware shú's no alienated ony tourists by brandin dem soothmoothers or expressed similar tendencies via her internet site so somebody's doin something right..

An even tho shús a teacher, I bet dey winna burn da Gelley in a playpark :wink:

I'd be careful what you say...

Why? Its all well documented undisputed statements. Trying to shout down past mistakes won't make them go away, it'll just make them bounce back all the more often. Plus -->>

Any criticism of one by another should be light hearted, as any previous comments I have made on this thread were intended to be taken. And if any one version believes itself above criticism by anyone, its elevating itself in to a very dangerous position.

I have yet to hear a single positive comment about it -

And here is another very positive comment. I'm with GR re the fact that in many country UHA's and Fire Festivals there have been mixed and all women squads for years - so no reason whatsoeverr why the leader of a squad canna be a female and, when their/her turn comes, to be da jarl.

Onywy, nooadays a lot of women canna cook and men do just as good a job.

And why would anybody actively make negative comments about the idea of a female Jarl? Can you think of any objective reasons why a woman couldn't take on the role, other than 'it's just no right'. What could a bloke do that Lesley couldn't (she could even wear a false beard! Tradition is no excuse for prejudiced attitudes. OK, it's good to have a bit of a laugh about a lady Jarl, but serious opinion against this is simply sh#te! Give us one real reason females shouldn't be Jarls.

I dinna ken aboot the Wild West, North or Sooth, but for Lerwick - Morton Lodge No. 89?

But then again, I know nuffink.. :)