South Mainland Up Helly Aa

SouthMainlandUpHellyAa

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An all round excellent event - and less hectic than Lerwick.

The only constructive suggestion i would make is that the Jarl squad could pose with the galley for a few minutes at each school, etc. they visit during the day - not everyone could get to the Bigton shop (and the Sumburgh Hotel) - and i know a few folk wanted to take pics like that at the schools.

:D

Dear Shetlinkers !!

I've been adding a lot of pictures into Shetlopedia's

http://shetlopedia.com/South_Mainland_Up_Helly_Aa page

Thank you to all who until now has provided us with photos !!

( :wink: There is absolutly space for more !! :wink: )

But I have a problem : Some of the Squads are un named....

So can you please take a look and see if you can indentify them ??

I've put the text "Unknown squad 1" - "Unknown Squad 2" -.....on the photos.

Cheers, Oddrun

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Ummm....Care to elaborate on how you can be sure it is SMUHA rubbish? I was given to understand that any identifiable unburned bits of galley, torches etc were collected and removed. If that is the case, I'm not sure what other rubbish SMUHA could have had that can still be there.

Its a beach, much rubbish washes ashore....and a car park, folk park up in campervans etc overnight etc and tend to leave their rubbish behind, including human waste on occasion. :evil:

I was given to understand that any identifiable unburned bits of galley, torches etc were collected and removed.

Not entirely so yet. The galley and associated bruck was collected from the beach and moved to the car park pronto. We then cut her into more managable pieces and removed one trailer load of these. The remaining bruck will be similarly removed. All according to plan.

^^ Yes, well. The carpark and immediate surrounds is different, anything and everything coming off or going on to the beach or isle itself is often left there temporary until its convenient to move it further.

I suppose roos of laid up firewid and other recovered floatsam will be considered "rubbish" to be complained about next.

Just back from St Ninians isle, how imprest I am at the amount of rubbish that has been left by the South Mainland Up Helly Aa. Cant wait until next year for even more rubbish to be left cluttering up the area.

The only rubbish I'm aware of is what you're posting.

I can only presume you're posting in a state of complete and utter ignorance.

As planned we were along earlier this evening to remove the anchor and flotation device and pile up the remainder of the galley for its final incineration.

The torch heads have been separated from that pile for disposal otherwise as it would be foolish to complete their burning and leave nails behind.

Guest Anonymous
Just back from St Ninians isle, how imprest I am at the amount of rubbish that has been left by the South Mainland Up Helly Aa. Cant wait until next year for even more rubbish to be left cluttering up the area.

The only rubbish I'm aware of is what you're posting.

I can only presume you're posting in a state of complete and utter ignorance.

As planned we were along earlier this evening to remove the anchor and flotation device and pile up the remainder of the galley for its final incineration.

The torch heads have been separated from that pile for disposal otherwise as it would be foolish to complete their burning and leave nails behind.

MIM, as a teacher, perhaps you could be of some help to ROCKY3, he/she needs a little help with their spelling of "impressed". :wink: